Apple updates iLife suite for Mac with app redesigns, OS X Yosemite support

Posted:
in Mac Software edited October 2014
Apple on Thursday released updated versions of iMovie, iPhoto and GarageBand for Mac, bringing refreshed designs, new features and support for the newly released OS X Yosemite operating system.

GarageBand reaches version 10.0.3 with today's update and also brings a tweaked user interface and additional features like access to audio effect plug-ins and new Voice Templates for quick vocal recordings.

Also included is a virtual Bass Amp Designer that lets users create a bass rig by mixing and matching qualities from vintage and modern amps, cabinets and mics. New vertical zoom controls automatically adjust the height of recorded tracks, while additions have been made to Accessibility features.

Finally, the app taps in to Yosemite's iCloud support, allowing users to share large projects with Mail Drop.

GarageBand is a 1.17GB download from the Mac App Store.

With the latest release, iMovie hits version 10.0.6 and brings a refreshed look for OS X Yosemite and a host of new features.

New file export options include "Custom H.264," "ProRes," and "Audio Only" options, while entire HD video clips can be sent over email via iCloud's new Mail Drop feature. Users can also share video frames as images.

User interface tweaks include an always open Adjustment Bar for audio and video tools and fixes for reliability issues with copying and pasting certain adjustments.

In addition, Apple points out the latest release helps developers prepare app previews for the App Store with iPhone and iPad screen recording through QuickTime Player, animated titles and a share option to export projects to the iOS App Store.

iMovie is a 1.97GB download from the Mac App Store.

The smallest of today's iLife suite updates is iPhoto, which hits version 9.6 to bring compatibility with OS X Yosemite, along with unspecified stability improvements. The app comes in at 1.14GB from the Mac App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I hope Logic Pro X doesn't get forgotten. I just wish there was a way to have a shared folder on icloud drive for collaboration in Logic Pro X.

Meanwhile, where is the new 'photo' app that is replacing iPhoto and Aperture?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    Also updated is the iBooks Author.

With a new *very* significant feature: The ability to import both ePub and Adobe Indesign's IDML file format. This is actually very big news for the industry. One can now effectively export from Adobe's Indesign into iBooks.

They have also enhanced the ability to interact with embedded HTML widgets, opening the door to much more interactivity inside the book and potentially even back-end run features such as dynamic content.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    ecats wrote: »
    Also updated is the iBooks Author.

With a new *very* significant feature: The ability to import both ePub and Adobe Indesign's IDML file format. This is actually very big news for the industry. One can now effectively export from Adobe's Indesign into iBooks.

They have also enhanced the ability to interact with embedded HTML widgets, opening the door to much more interactivity inside the book and potentially even back-end run features such as dynamic content.

Yes it looks like iBook Author just gained a lot of great new features. I wish there was a web deployment option, you could make killer web sites with it.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    guyrguyr Posts: 50member

What is also interesting is having to 'accept' the 'unique hardware identifier' now needed for the iMovie & iPhoto future updates and tied to an Apple ID.

• Reply 5 of 15
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    iPhoto, iMovie, Pages, Keynote, and Numbers won't download to Mavericks. They are listed as incompatible updates (on my machine).

Edit: Yep - App Store shows "Compatibility: OS X 10.10 or later"
  • Reply 6 of 15
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I thought iPhoto was becoming Photos. (?)

Edit: just read story above - so yeah... 2015
  • Reply 7 of 15
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    Let me clear up the confusion about Photos for digitalclips and paxman.

Photos for OS X is coming early next year. It will eventually replace iPhoto, but they are phasing it in and you can keep on using iPhoto (or Aperture) for at least another year on Yosemite and earlier versions.

Photos is already available for iOS, but the Mac version looks like it will be kind of a blend of Aperture and iPhoto. What's most intriguing to me is that the Mac version of Photos will support extensions, meaning potential use of Photoshop plug-ins and other cool third-party stuff can happen. Give me some MacPhun plug-ins and a few others and Photos will get me really excited.

But (and I say this as someone who uses and has learned to like Lightroom) the take-away here is that there's no urgent need to move to Lightroom, leave Aperture, abandon iPhoto or indeed do anything in the short-term. You can if you want, and Adobe would love it if you did, but you don't have to.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member

Aperture just got an update (3.6) 'for Yosemite compatibility'. So it is being fully supported for now. See how Photos shapes up. If it has the features I use then it's no biggies. 

• Reply 9 of 15
    On the mobile version of this site, please tell me I'm not the only one getting these horrendously outsized headlines (AI please fix this mismatch in font sizes):

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/50852/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

The body copy should be just slightly smaller than the headlines...and the headlines should not be allowed to be 120 pt. type!
  • Reply 10 of 15
    enzos wrote: »

Aperture just got an update (3.6) 'for Yosemite compatibility'. So it is being fully supported for now. See how Photos shapes up. If it has the features I use then it's no biggies. 

Yes that was good to see. But 'supported' is not 'continuing to be developed' sadly.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

• Reply 12 of 15
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Anyone know about when the public beta of Photos will begin? Can't rewatch the keynote just now... did Tim mention a date?

• Reply 13 of 15
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member

I kind of wish Apple would stagger the release of major product and OS updates to avoid the major slammage effect that occurs when these things all get posted at the same time. Sorry, but I don't have multi-gigabyte fiber attachment but a much more modest attachment via DSL. The Apple update servers also seem to be buried. I know everyone wants to unwrap all their new toys all at the same time but the magnitude of the demand seems to be impossible to manage for any current human designed connectivity solution.

• Reply 14 of 15
    Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

The Apple update servers also seem to be buried. I know everyone wants to unwrap all their new toys all at the same time but the magnitude of the demand seems to be impossible to manage for any current human designed connectivity solution.

Tim-Cook-is-not-Santa-Claus-gate

• Reply 15 of 15
    Incidentally, the new options for the customized bass and guitar amps in GarageBand for OS X is awesome. Makes even cheesy MIDI-based guitars sound incredible!

...what no GarageBand users here? Anyone? Anyone?