American Express prepares customers for Apple Pay launch, details setup procedure

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2014
In an email sent out to credit card holders on Friday, American Express announced integration with Apple Pay and outlined steps users need to take in order to get the payment system up and running on their mobile device.

As seen in the screenshot above, American Express is prepping for its upcoming integration with Apple's Apple Pay mobile and Internet payments solution. At its iPad event on Thursday, Apple said Apple Pay services are scheduled to launch next Monday when the company releases iOS 8.1.

While the basic procedure for entering in credit card credentials has been revealed in previous reports, American Express offers a few interesting tidbits of information regarding account linking and monitoring.

Of note, the company says American Express users who already have cards on file with iTunes need only to confirm ownership by entering the card's security code into Passbook. This suggests Apple will pre-populate Passbook with credit cards linked to iTunes or Apple ID accounts.

The American Express note also confirmed that users will have real-time access to account details through Apple Pay, even for purchases made with plastic cards. In addition, the company is building extensibility features into its Amex Mobile iOS app, allowing customers to monitor account activity, access rewards and offers and request service.

Apple Pay is slated to roll out on Oct. 20 with full support for touchless NFC payments using the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus at supported point-of-sale terminals. At launch, Apple Pay will be accepted at more than 220,000 locations in the U.S. and supports all three major credit card networks. AppleInsider has curated a rolling list of retail outlets that will offer support at launch or plan to do so in the coming weeks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Discover card? Buehler... Buehler?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Discover card? Buehler... Buehler?

Looks like they are in talks with Apple. See http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/10/discover-in-talks-to-join-apple-pay-swift-goes-gm-at-version-10

• Reply 3 of 10
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    The last I heard, Discover was still evaluating Apple Pay ... talk about timid, unimaginative management ...
  • Reply 4 of 10
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    chasm wrote: »
    The last I heard, Discover was still evaluating Apple Pay ... talk about timid, unimaginative management ...

I am going to pull a [@]sog35[/@] and unequivocally state what will happen in the future without any evidence to back up my position. Discover is definitely going to jump on board soon.
  • Reply 5 of 10

I really, really hope this Apple Pay lives up to the hype.  It's something I certainly want to use.  Wall Street seems to think Apple Pay is relatively worthless in terms of revenue but if Apple Pay is as secure as they say it is, maybe consumers will have far less to worry about.  Retailers may even take less losses due to credit card fraud.  If Apple Pay can even sell 5% more iPhones, I think that will be fairly decent amount.  Wall Street in general refuses to give Apple any consideration for anything it tries to do.  It certainly seems as though a lot of banks and retailers are getting on board with Apple Pay, so I'd say it stands a good chance of becoming a standard form of payment.

• Reply 6 of 10
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Wall Street seems to think Apple Pay is relatively worthless in terms of revenue...

Isn't it? $0.14 per $100.00 isn't much.

Its true worth is in selling Apple devices–specifically iPhones–that have its capability. A working one touch payment system is worth much more to people than $0.14 per $100.00 is to Apple's bottom line.

• Reply 7 of 10
    Amex cardholder here. No email today. Wonder if it's only certain types of accounts? (I have a Delta co-branded Optima credit account)
  • Reply 8 of 10
    ingenious wrote: »
    Amex cardholder here. No email today. Wonder if it's only certain types of accounts? (I have a Delta co-branded Optima credit account)

I got an email from them earlier today. One regular card and two co-branded.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    AmEx's iOS app has been pretty great even before, this is even better.

For me, Apple Pay is very a-apple -- why I have to swipe the iPhone?! How is that any better than a plastic card?! They should have stuck with Bluetooth/WiFi!

Plus, do we really need NFC/RFID style spy chips in our phones along with biometric scanners?! read: http://spychips.com/ and see the documentary movie: America: Freedom to Fascism: http://freedomtofascism.com/ or FREE here:
    to fascism full movie

also:
    http://difrwear.com/pages/about-rfid
  • Reply 10 of 10

All you need now is an iPhone 6 - which is essentially non-existent, as Apple Store employees will tell you.