First look: Hands-on with Apple's new iPad Air 2 & iPad mini 3

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

It also might get you a gold iPad mini if that's your bling, I mean thing.

• Reply 62 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

There is no need for the iPad mini with the Plus.

Uh... yeah there is. Specifically, you don't have to pay $80/mo just for a WiFi Mini.

But yeah, lame upgrade. I'll just get a refurb Mini 2 for $250.

• Reply 63 of 73
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    rogifan wrote: »
    My guess is there are more people in between 16 and 32 than there were between 32 and 64. Yeah maybe 64 at $599 is a better value than 32 at $499 but if you don't need that much additional space you've spent $100 more for nothing.

What are you talking about? 64GB on the mini is $499, the same price you would have paid for 32GB last year. Why are you complaining? They didn't eliminate 32GB and jump the price point to $599...
  • Reply 64 of 73
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Hey I'm not stupid. I know that these pricing schemes are all about keeping ASP's high. Apple knows damn good and well there are people who need more than 16 GB but don't need 64 GB. Not offering 32GB as the base model just means more device sales at $599 vs $499. I have a feeling though that Wall Street cares more about year over year sales growth than they do ASPs. I have a hard time believing that offering 32 GB as the base model would prevent Apple from investing in all this R&D, services, etc. Apple is not hurting for profits or cash. But since Apple refuses to do this then for gods sake don't send out software updates that require 8GB storage.

More than 50% of buyers have no need for more than 16 GB....more than 50 % of buyers don't even know how much storage they have.

• Reply 65 of 73
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I saw this article in Computerworld that was essentially praising Tim Cook's business model of offering products at all different price points. I'm not sure I agree. Right now Apple is selling five different models of iPad. I'm sorry but I thought Apple was all about simplicity and focus. Why is Apple still selling the non-retina mini? And what is the purpose of the new retina mini that is exactly like last years mini except for Touch ID? Based on what was announced today this should be Apple's iPad line up in my opinion:

iPad mini 2 $299
    iPad Air $399
    iPad Air 2 $499

Or if Apple feels they absolutely have to offer an iPad under $299 then:

iPad mini 2 $249
    iPad mini 3 $349 (or $399 with A8 and better display)
    iPad Air $399
    iPad Air 2 $499

I don't see anything particularly genius about more affordable prices via keeping products around past their sell by date. Or by offering products with 8GB storage when the most recent software update required at least 6GB for OTA update. I think Apple is needlessly complicating their product lines by doing this. Last year keeping the iPad 2 around was a head scratcher this year the original mini and mini 3 are head scratchers. Get back to simple Apple, not complex.
    lmao! So true. They spent last year trying to convince use the mini was every inch an iPad despite the gimped color gamut. I think Apple may need to re-align its product offerings.
  • Reply 66 of 73
    pmz wrote: »

More than 50% of buyers have no need for more than 16 GB....more than 50 % of buyers don't even know how much storage they have.
    they know when their device is in constant restore after an OS Update.
  • Reply 67 of 73
    sog35 wrote: »
    Some of you know nothing about business.

1. Why did Apple make the Mini3 hamstrung?

ANSWER: Because Apple wants you to buy the Air2.  Eventually Apple will discontinue the Mini form factor.  The Mini has horrible gross margins and profit margins.  With the 6 PLUS there is no reason to have a Mini.

2. Why doesn't the iPad have a simuliar resolution PPI as iPhone?

ANSWER: Because the iPhone is EXPENSIVE!!!  The 6 starts at $650-$950.  iPadAir starts at $499.  iPad already has weak gross margins compared to iPhone.  Be grateful.

Looking at these decisions from a business perspective you will see Mr Cook is doing the right thing.  The key is to avoid commodization.  All the Android makers are getting lower and lower average selling prices.  Apple cannot go down that same road.  If Apple does than they won't have money to continue to build out the best eco-system the world has ever seen.

What you clowns want is unsustainable.

You want the iPadMini3 to have the same internals as the Air2 for $100 less.
    You want the iPad's to start at 32GB.
    Guess what?

Then 80-90% of iPad sales will be Mini3 with 32GB at $399.
    That will KILL iPad average selling price and profit margins.
    ummm iPad Air 2s have high gross margins so do iPhone 6+s. The mini is a low margin product. However, its a gateway product like the low end iPhone 6. Get people into the ecosystem then they buy more expensive stuff.
  • Reply 68 of 73
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

I would have got the ipad mini 3 if it had the A8X just to run Frax it doesn't render fast enough on my touch's A5. 

p.s. just went to check the name of Frax on my ipod and handoff already had this post loaded with it half filled in. That was a surprise that it not only loaded the webpage but also filled in this post while I was actually in the process of writing it.

• Reply 69 of 73

Does anyone know if my stylus will still work on these new devices? I'm not that tech savy, but it works really well on my ipad 2

• Reply 70 of 73
    sog35 wrote: »
    Some of you know nothing about business.

1. Why did Apple make the Mini3 hamstrung?

ANSWER: Because Apple wants you to buy the Air2.  Eventually Apple will discontinue the Mini form factor.  The Mini has horrible gross margins and profit margins.  With the 6 PLUS there is no reason to have a Mini.

2. Why doesn't the iPad have a simuliar resolution PPI as iPhone?

ANSWER: Because the iPhone is EXPENSIVE!!!  The 6 starts at $650-$950.  iPadAir starts at $499.  iPad already has weak gross margins compared to iPhone.  Be grateful.

Looking at these decisions from a business perspective you will see Mr Cook is doing the right thing.  The key is to avoid commodization.  All the Android makers are getting lower and lower average selling prices.  Apple cannot go down that same road.  If Apple does than they won't have money to continue to build out the best eco-system the world has ever seen.

What you clowns want is unsustainable.

You want the iPadMini3 to have the same internals as the Air2 for $100 less.
    You want the iPad's to start at 32GB.
    Guess what?

Then 80-90% of iPad sales will be Mini3 with 32GB at $399.
    That will KILL iPad average selling price and profit margins.
    Here's my situation. I have a 64GB iPad Mini 2. I got it a couple of months ago and fell in live with it. Then, I started noticing it lacks some of the LCD technologies found on my iPhone 5. I got it over the iPad Air because I found my previous iPad 3 too bulky and heavy. For the same specs as the iPad Air and a better PPI ratio, I found it to be the perfect product! As I used it more and more over the weeks, I began to notice that it lacked many of the design improvements found in the iPhone 5 display. Further, I was beginning to think it was still a little on the bulky side. Long story short, the iPad Air 2 is everything I want in an iPad, if I upgrade. However, this morning I paid a visit to my local Apple Store and was even more impressed with the iMac with Retina Display. I spent an hour there streaming 4K and 5K videos on YouTube. One person walking by was so stunned by the incredible video quality that - without hesitation - bought one on the spot!

So, as of now, I'll probably just keep my iPad Mini 2 and just get an iPhone 6 (which I've been planning on doing any way) and save up for an iMac with Retina Display (instead of upgrading to the iPad Air 2 and selling my iPad Mini 2).
  • Reply 71 of 73
    Oh, and I will bet that next year's product line up will include PrimeSense proximity sensors (at least the iPhone 6S will)!

Each "S" version of the iPhone have included technologies bought from acquired companies for around $400 million. The iPhone 4S had SIRI. The 5S had Touch ID from Authentech. Likewise, the 6S will have 3D proximity sensors from PrimeSense.
  • Reply 72 of 73

It would seem that most of you always fell in love with the devices you owned...for a few months. Then you realized that you don't really like it any more. Who's to say that this iPad Air 2 is any different?