Apple launches iCloud Photos beta Web client ahead of iOS 8.1 rollout

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    mazecookie wrote: »
    It seems there is quite a bit of misunderstanding about how Photo Streams work, so I will clear them up here.

There are two types of photos stream. "My Photo Stream" and shared photo streams.

Photos are added into this stream automatically from new photos being added to Camera Roll.
    My Photo Stream begins deleting photos after they are 30 days old or you reach the maximum of 1000 photos, whichever is shorter.
    Each photo does not count towards your iCloud usage.

With shared photo streams, you can share photos with upto 100 people (or if you want to use it as a storage bin, share with nobody at all). 
    Each shared photo stream has a limit of 5000 photos.
    They never expire, and do not count towards your iCloud usage.
    Photos have to be added manually.

The only other restriction (although I can't remember the number) is an account maximum for stored photos (it was around 10,000,000 if I remember right).

---

In terms of what happens now with shared photo streams since iOS8/Yosemite - nothing. They exist exactly how they did with iOS7.
    Apple has not indicated in any articles that photo streams will now count towards your iCloud usage.

I'm currently running the 8.1 beta with iCloud Photo Library turned on, which is obviously backing up my camera roll, and I have over 30 shared photo streams. Looking at my iCloud usage it is still the case that my streams are not listed and therefore I can only assume they are not taking any of my iCloud storage.
    Thank you!
  • Reply 22 of 36
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    paxman wrote: »

You ask if they are "stuck there" as if somehow you have been wronged. No, they are not stuck there. You can move them wherever you want. If I were you I would at least make one copy of your library on an external drive. Whether you choose to store them online through iCloud or some other service is up to you but regardless, make a local copy. 

That is a great advice. I do it know all of the time after one of my hard drives broke with about 10000 photos. Rrrrr
  • Reply 23 of 36
    rickfaced wrote: »

1000 photos per shared photo stream and unlimited photo streams.

Wrong. It was never unlimited. There was a 1000 photo limit on your personal stream also. Plus any item over 30 days could disappear.

It appeared to be unlimited because the photos didn't auto delete from local storage. So if y didn't do any kind of erase or restore for several months you could have 5000 photos locally on your iPhone or iPad but the moment you did that restore only the last 1000 came back.

The only "unlimited" was in the time for shared steams. They had no 30 days counter.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

The web app is quite nice and a relief to have as we wait for Photos.app next year.

For anyone still confused, YES, you must wait for Photos.app next year to have a Mac client component for iCloud Photo Library.

Your iPhoto library is going to sit dormant, unless you manually manage it, which I MIGHT do, if I see any need. For now, all I really care about is having access to every photo and video I take available on my iOS devices, AppleTV, and any Mac or PC via the web.

Sometime next year, iCloud Photo Library will be kicked into high gear, as I'll be able to migrate my old iPhoto Library (around 150 GB) into Photos.app, and upload quite a lot to iCloud. I wish I could do it right now, but alas, will have to wait for Apple to finish this ultimate app.

(And for those still confused, technically I could sync my old iPhoto library over to my iPhone, little bits at a time, let it upload to iCloud, and could migrate that way. It would just be extremely slow, laborious process. I'm content to let my old stuff lay dormant in iPhoto for now, as I rarely access the old stuff anyway.)

• Reply 25 of 36
    I am curious to see what Aperture does faced with the new paradigm given it was just updated for Yosemite compatibility. Come on Apple, if you can bring back camera roll you can rethink Aperture support.

They are rethinking it. By getting rid of it. And iPhoto. Rumor is they are going to one app with an advanced mode and plug in support.

What I dislike is that they dumped iphoto for iOS and the brushes aren't in the photo app. Nor could we ever use the brushes to edit computer photos using out devices as the input
  • Reply 26 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    pmz wrote: »
    The web app is quite nice.

I find all of icloud.com (or in this case beta.cloud.com) to be rather spectacular. Attractive, smooth and functional.

I only wish I could be notified if anyone tried to access my account via the website and have two-step authentication active for icloud.com.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I find all of icloud.com (or in this case beta.cloud.com) to be rather spectacular. Attractive, smooth and functional.

I only wish I could be notified if anyone tried to access my account via the website and have two-step authentication active for icloud.com.

I agree I would like to be notified on tries, too. Two factor authentication is active for icloud.com, though.

I can login fine with just Apple ID + password but there is a lock over every application and they're greyed out, until I verify from one of my devices.

• Reply 28 of 36
    Thanks for all the useful comments. Are you saying that I COULD have all these years backed up my photos via 'shared' photostreams? I've only used iOS devices for the past 2-3 years so don't have a backup tp Mac option. I didn't think there was an Apple solution to this and so have used other online storage options. Maybe I thought that the shared photostreams were not 'permanent'? I certainly didn't know I could store photos in this way. I hope the new iCloud solution will do the trick!
  • Reply 29 of 36

I agree I would like to be notified on tries, too. Two factor authentication is active for icloud.com, though.

I can login fine with just Apple ID + password but there is a lock over every application and they're greyed out, until I verify from one of my devices.

Odd, I wasn't getting the locks over the apps, sans Find My iPhone, until I jumped into appleid.apple.com to make sure my two-step authentication was enabled.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Quote:

Odd, I wasn't getting the locks over the apps, sans Find My iPhone, until I jumped into appleid.apple.com to make sure my two-step authentication was enabled.

Strange, I guess they failed to update some records automatically when they made it website-wide, and that's somehow updated them. 

• Reply 31 of 36

Strange, I guess they failed to update some records automatically when they made it website-wide, and that's somehow updated them. 

I had seen the locked apps before, but recently it hadn't been there. And I am certain it wasn't there because I was in there looking at Photos as well as Settings (as I annoyingly have my iPhone 5S in there despite having wiped the device).

I hope there isn't some odd security hole with iCloud.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,519member
    rob53 (and others): nope.

Some of us actually read the T&C of iPhoto, and it was pretty clear: Photos in (the one main) photo stream were limited to 1,000 pictures OR 30 days, whichever was greater (ie if you took more than 1,000 pictures in 30 days, all your photos would be accessible in the stream for 30 days).

Thus, every month in iPhoto, you got an automatic new "event" called "(month) (year) Photo Stream" and all the pictures taken that month. As your photo stream passes (as it eventually will) 1,000 pictures, the oldest pictures will fall "out" of the photo stream, but still exist in the "(month) (year) Photo Stream" event in iPhoto.

It's been that way since day one of Photo Stream.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4486?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
  • Reply 33 of 36
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member

So glad they got rid of the animated wallpaper in the beta. Hopefully there's also an option to choose your own. 

• Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:

I had seen the locked apps before, but recently it hadn't been there. And I am certain it wasn't there because I was in there looking at Photos as well as Settings (as I annoyingly have my iPhone 5S in there despite having wiped the device).

I hope there isn't some odd security hole with iCloud.

Very strange. 

Yeah I hope theres no security hole too, it does seem like Apple has been pushing out two step verification onto as many services as possible lately, hopefully they've made it airtight.

• Reply 35 of 36
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    rickfaced wrote: »
    There was no limit on the number of shared photo streams. Therefore it used to be unlimited. 

chasm wrote: »
    rob53 (and others): nope.

Some of us actually read the T&C of iPhoto, and it was pretty clear: Photos in (the one main) photo stream were limited to 1,000 pictures OR 30 days, whichever was greater (ie if you took more than 1,000 pictures in 30 days, all your photos would be accessible in the stream for 30 days).

Thus, every month in iPhoto, you got an automatic new "event" called "(month) (year) Photo Stream" and all the pictures taken that month. As your photo stream passes (as it eventually will) 1,000 pictures, the oldest pictures will fall "out" of the photo stream, but still exist in the "(month) (year) Photo Stream" event in iPhoto.

It's been that way since day one of Photo Stream.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4486?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Uhm, that's not the whole story:

"My Photo Stream upload limits

The My Photo Stream limits below are based on anticipated upload patterns. My Photo Stream upload limits are as follows:

Uploads to My Photo Stream per hour: 1000 photos
    Uploads to My Photo Stream per day: 10,000 photos
    Uploads to My Photo Stream per month: 25,000 photos"

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4858