Full video of Jony Ive's Vanity Fair interview posted online

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sky king wrote: »
    I agree with the concept that Mr. Ive has too much power, regardless of who gave him the power.  He has misused his position to force his minimalist design concepts on the entire UI experience.  Bad idea.

Contrast and color exist in nature and make our lives easier.  The same concept should be applied to software and user interface.  The bland, colorless, no-contrast, thin lined world preferred by Mr Ive really makes the user experience a giant pain as virtually everything is harder to see and takes me time to identify.

Yosemite is even worse than Mavericks.  I suggest that Mr Ive go back to designing the exterior shell and be banned from software.  For crying out loud he is a DESIGNER, and an extremist at that.  How about devoting some attention to Mail (which has become a major pain on the behind the way it multiplies messages overtime you delete).  How about devoting some attention to Reminders (which is a fantastic tool but needs better stability and search features.)

C'mon Apple.  normal people use colored hi-liters and underline things to gain contrast.  Time to go back to the concept of making things work for the consumer instead of catering to the weirdness of this designer.

What I find so amazing is, if this is the case, where are all the stories of software guys at Apple complaining to Federighi or Cook or worse leaving? Where is 9to5Mac, Bloomberg, Business Insider etc. reporting all the juicy gossip about turmoil inside Apple because of Ive's ego and power trips. Surely this stuff would leak, no? Surely the John Gruber's and Rene Ritchie's of the world through their second and third hand sources would know about this. And no doubt if wonder boy Mark Gurman had stories of turmoil inside Apple software teams it would be up on 9to5Mac in a heartbeat. Why all the silence?
  • Reply 42 of 60
    flaneur wrote: »
    I would only add that "feel" is as important as looks in aesthetics. The word aesthetics itself is based on "sense perception," meaning all the senses, and it carries a strong bias toward feeling, so we end up with "anaesthesia," lack of feeling.

If you watch Jony Ive speaking, his hand gestures give him away. He interacts with the world with his relatively massive hands, and he often favors the left, meaning his right brain, where whole things are integrated, is engaged.

This is all just facile psychologizing, though. The proof is the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus cases and cover glass. Like you say, many are going to say that these are the best-feeling iPhones ever made. He designs by touch, which merges both looks and function when it's a hand tool we're talking about.

Anyway, we're rarely had such a designer in our midst designing tools for the masses. We're enormously lucky to have him and his team when the new tools are so revolutionary. That world in your pocket and all . . .
    I did notice that he used his hands a lot when talking. Wasn't sure if that was just a nervous tick or something else. Initially I wasn't sure about the 6 because one handed use is very important to me. Buy the more I've played with one at the Apple store the more I want one. I may upgrade early, though my local AT&T stores won't have new stock in until mid November as preorders are their first priority.
  • Reply 43 of 60
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    sky king wrote: »
    Other than to satisfy the massive ego of Mr Ive I am having a really difficult time trying to figure out why Yosemite even exists as an update.  I would be satisfied if major updates only happened every two or three years.

I can't judge what you're saying about Yosemite, because I won't risk updating my ancient 2009 iMac with Final Cut 7.

IOS, i tend to agree that it's been too flattened, denatured and dispirited, but do we really know that that is Jony Ive's fault, and not some puritanism that is going around in software design at Apple that he couldn't possibly have the background to contest? Some over-reaction to Forstall's regime of 'morphism?

I think you're way out of line talking about his "massive ego." I can't imagine a person in his position more lacking in ego. He's clearly humble in the face of his vocation and his predecessors. A rush to judgment on him is unseemly for us outsiders to engage in.
  • Reply 44 of 60
    Originally Posted by steve666 View Post

however I am surrounded by Apple users and every single one of them dislikes Yosemite.

No, you’re not. No, we don’t.

• Reply 46 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I got shivers ... I was a young 30 something when Jony was at art college studying industrial design, in the same city that I was in, and I happened to own the Apple dealership. I can't say for certain obviously but there is a very good chance that Mac he referred to, came from my stock room.
  • Reply 47 of 60
    steve666 wrote: »
    Ive has way too much power at Apple. I don't think Jobs would have let him touch OSX.
    Why is this guy doing software? Judging by how hideous Yosemite is, he never should have been let anywhere near it.
    Safari looks ridiculous, like a third grader designed it.
    His obsession with thinness at the expense of functionality is so annoying I wish Apple would just get rid of him already.

This should be printed out and framed and put up next to all the other absolutely hilariously bad and laughably incorrect quotes about Apple products throughout the decades.
  • Reply 48 of 60
    shev wrote: »
    It's certainly an insight into why he will never be the CEO, he's clearly an extremely passionate designer but it seems to come with a little artistic eccentricity. Coupled with the fact that he seems to go off on slight tangents and is a little nervous while speaking you can see why he wouldn't be a great fit for a CEO.

Tomato

Well, I thought he was excellent and actually followed all his tangential comments and saw and understood their relevance, including the pronunciation joke. I also don't believe for one second Jony would even consider being CEO, why would he want that job when he has, in his own view, the best job in the world. Your lack of ability to understand that speaks volumes as to why you were unable to follow the conversation.
  • Reply 49 of 60

Oh good grief. Someone started a similar petition after iOS 7 came out. Anybody can start any kind of petition on that website. I like what Ive said in thaf VF interview; that he gets lots of critical email but it doesn't hold a candle to his self criticism.
  • Reply 50 of 60
    flaneur wrote: »
    I think you're way out of line talking about his "massive ego." I can't imagine a person in his position more lacking in ego. He's clearly humble in the face of his vocation and his predecessors. A rush to judgment on him is unseemly for us outsiders to engage in.

I don't know the man so obviously can't personally comment on ego but I've read enough about him that if he has one he hides it very well. Also I find it hard to believe someone with a massive ego could have zero voluntary turnover in 15+ years. In that recent Vouge puff piece on Ive they quoted one of his neighbors, Trevor Traina, who said Ive was private and modest and didnt wear his accomplishments on his sleeve. I get the feeling Tim Cook isn't someone who would put up with massive egos so if Ive had one he'd be gone by now.
  • Reply 51 of 60
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Oh good grief. Someone started a similar petition after iOS 7 came out. Anybody can start any kind of petition on that website. I like what Ive said in thaf VF interview; that he gets lots of critical email but it doesn't hold a candle to his self criticism.

I never said it would work and in regards to Apple's known arrogance it probably won't. Doesn't mean it hurts to try.

Self criticism is on his own terms, he should be listening to customer criticism and if he's not as arrogant as he seems changes should be made.

• Reply 52 of 60
    I never said it would work and in regards to Apple's known arrogance it probably won't. Doesn't mean it hurts to try.
    Self criticism is on his own terms, he should be listening to customer criticism and if he's not as arrogant as he seems changes should be made.
    Who's criticism though though? Yours? Clearly Apple is listening as a lot of the features in iOS 8 - like 3rd party keyboards, actionable notifications and inter-app communications have been user requests for several years. Oh and the camera roll is coming back in iOS 8.1. How is that not making changes based on customer feedback? I was never a fan of iOS 6 & prior design language. But I don't think Scott Forstall and Steve Jobs were arrogant because they didn't change it. It's a personal preference. That has nothing to do with arrogance,
  • Reply 53 of 60
    shev wrote: »
    It's certainly an insight into why he will never be the CEO, he's clearly an extremely passionate designer but it seems to come with a little artistic eccentricity. Coupled with the fact that he seems to go off on slight tangents and is a little nervous while speaking you can see why he wouldn't be a great fit for a CEO.

Tomato

Well, I thought he was excellent and actually followed all his tangential comments and saw and understood their relevance, including the pronunciation joke. I also don't believe for one second Jony would even consider being CEO, why would he want that job when he has, in his own view, the best job in the world. Your lack of ability to understand that speaks volumes as to why you were unable to follow the conversation.

Going off at a tangent is something that Ive has been excelling at recently(mentioning no Gates)…
  • Reply 54 of 60
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Perhaps a better explanation for the nerves.

True. The back ground was vexing me i cant imagine how jonny could've persived it.
  • Reply 55 of 60
    idrey wrote: »
    True. The back ground was vexing me i cant imagine how jonny could've persived it.

Are you referring to the translucency?
  • Reply 56 of 60
    Going off at a tangent is something that Ive has been excelling at recently(mentioning no Gates)…

I just loved how he nailed the 'theft' issue. No double speak, just called it as it is. Superb!
  • Reply 57 of 60
    You may be right, however I am surrounded by Apple users and every single one of them dislikes Yosemite.
    I would love to see a poll.
    I knew Jobs liked Ive and thinness, but I don't know if he would ever take it to this level, where machines need to be neutered to satisfy thinness.
    Personally I think it's ludicrous.
    Ive didn't go near software when Jobs was in power

This is what we call a meme sandwich. A meme with another on top and one below it.
  • Reply 58 of 60
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Are you referring to the translucency?

Everything just look and sounded too cheap. I look and sounded as if the were in an empty storage or ware house. And that echo rrrr. Idk i am probably use to seeing nice stages on tv.
  • Reply 59 of 60
    Have anyone seen the Xiaomi site? I can see why people call it the Apple of China. Can also see why J.Ive calls it theft and laziness. Imagine you spend all that time creating something that you honestly believe is truly beautiful, then everyone else starts copying what you did and then undercutting you on price.....
  • Reply 60 of 60
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    I got shivers ... I was a young 30 something when Jony was at art college studying industrial design, in the same city that I was in, and I happened to own the Apple dealership. I can't say for certain obviously but there is a very good chance that Mac he referred to, came from my stock room.

So, if true, and it sounds reasonable, you are responsible for one of the great instances of cross-fertilization in recent history, the one that keeps us all going here. Or a link in the chain of events, one could say. Good thing.

Now we need to know how it was that the technical types like yourself and those like Jony Ive were so attracted to the first Macintosh. Were you also curious about the people who made it for example?