Apple's OS X Yosemite now available for free download with Continuity features, iTunes 12, more

Comments

• Reply 101 of 147
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMarc43 View Post

So still no continuity for late 2011 27" iMac.

What's really odd about that, is at least Messages worked on Mavericks.

Continuity is working on my late 2007 21" iMac, took some adjustments but all seems to work fine now

• Reply 102 of 147
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

One big difference:  With Yosemite, I click the ESC button or whatever, and I have immediate WiFi connectivity.  The second I am back, I am on-line.  With Mavericks, it wasn't a big deal, but it was between 5-10 seconds.  Doesn't sound like much, granted.  And it isn't.  But multiple times a day?  

Now, it's automatic.  Right there.  I like that.

• Reply 103 of 147

Somebody had mentioned they thought Mail had a memory leak.  I think there is something to that.  I had Yosemite up all day doing work with no issues.  Late in the day before leaving the house I brought up Apple Mail for something small but left it running.  When I got back to the house an hour later, the Force Quit dialog was up saying that my system had run out of memory and all applications were paused.  I killed Mail and a few other things, then the new Force Quit has you manually resume each paused app (interesting feature).  I rebooted the thing anyway but Apple Mail was the only thing that was different about operation today.

System: Mac Pro (2008), 10.10, 14 gigs RAM, 3 TB fusion drive (boot), 12 TB RAID internal

• Reply 104 of 147
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

It seems quite a bit faster than Mavericks to me. I wasn't expecting that, thought it was mainly a features release.

• Reply 105 of 147
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wozwoz View Post

Apple has always been about the realisation that USER INTERFACE is not just stuff being pretty --- it is a fundamental component of the usability of an OS. And I have to say, on UI issues, Yosemite is not an upgrade, but a downgrade ... It is the least 'Mac-feeling' OS that Apple has ever released. It makes my Mac feel like some ugly Windows XP variant. Now I have to get rid of the ugly Yosemite duckling from my notebook and upgrade back to Mavericks. 

Total waste of time.

If you go in to Accessibility Preferences and select "Reduce transparency" it looks quite a bit different.

• Reply 106 of 147

Does anyone know how to disable the Macbook Pro's display with the lid open while connected to an external monitor running Yosemite?

To my dismay, all previous methods listed in the link below that worked flawlessly on Mavericks no longer work on Yosemite. :(

http://osxdaily.com/2012/06/15/yet-another-way-to-turn-off-internal-lcd-display-of-macbook-pro-with-lid-open/

And dimming the display is not the same as turning off the display with the lid open as the GPU is still sending a signal out to both the internal display and external monitors, which in turn drains more battery uses more resources and creates more heat.

Any ideas on how to get this going on Yosemite? 

• Reply 107 of 147
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

Awesome update!

1. I am loving the look and feel. With the exception of the colour of the folders. It is too bright and in the face. Apple finally made me clean up my desktop. There's no folders on it anymore.

2. I am not a big fan of the typeface either. Helvetica clearly was not meant to end up on a computer screen.

3. Oh, and please. Bring all the icons in synch with iOS. I do not understand why the icons have to look different from iOS 8.1? I thought the skeuomorphic thing was a thing of the past? I do love the cheerfulness and simplicity of the iOS icons.

One More Thing:

What's this stardust all about when your app is updating? I strangely like it as if you are adding a touch of magic in your life :) 

• Reply 108 of 147
    I always liked the new UI from the start. However, after reading the Ars Technica review I even more appreciate the design and concept behind.
  • Reply 109 of 147
    mr o wrote: »
    Awesome update!
    1. I am loving the look and feel. With the exception of the colour of the folders. It is too bright and in the face. Apple finally made me clean up my desktop. There's no folders on it anymore.
    2. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">I am not a big fan of the typeface either. Helvetica clearly was not meant to end up on a computer screen.</span>
    3. <span style="line-height:1.4em;"><span style="line-height:1.4em;">Oh, and please. Bring all the icons in synch with iOS. I do not understand why the icons have to look different from iOS 8.1? I thought the skeuomorphic thing was a thing of the past? I do love the cheerfulness and simplicity of the iOS icons.</span>
      </span>

One More Thing:

What's this stardust all about when your app is updating? I strangely like it as if you are adding a touch of magic in your life :)  

Sorry to shatter your dreams, but the stardust exists in Mavericks.
  • Reply 110 of 147
    I always liked the new UI from the start. However, after reading the Ars Technica review I even more appreciate the design and concept behind.

Why?
  • Reply 111 of 147

Actually, there's some bugs in this OS. I opened Activity Monitor and geod was sitting there hanged (coloured red). And Safari was trying to background load sites from my bookmarks, stuck, using 25% of CPU, even though I have "Preload top hit in the background" turned off in Safari preferences.

Edit: Ahhh, it wasn't Safari, it was the new Spotlight. If you have it index your bookmarks and you happen to search for a string that is in a given URL, it will try to preload it in the background, and it seems to get stuck and sit there using up CPU from then on, until you restart.

Also, there is an error in the installer program (you'd think they would debug that most of all). At one point it asks you if you want to sign in with your Apple ID or create a separate local account. If you select Apple ID there's no way past the next screen. You have to type something in to a text field but there's no way to select the text field (mouse, tab etc, nothing work).

• Reply 112 of 147
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tookieman2013 View Post

Continuity is working on my late 2007 21" iMac, took some adjustments but all seems to work fine now

Messages doesn't work at all on my 2011 27" iMac. I've tried everything. It worked flawlessly in Mavericks - but no joy in Yosemite.

• Reply 113 of 147
    Sounds like some interesting new features, but I'm waiting a month just to let the waves settle before I dive in.
  • Reply 114 of 147

I haven't yet updated from mavericks. From what I seen in screenshots, the question comes up why the UI has been turned 2d? Why is the taskbar not 3d anymore or the red, orange, green-window-buttons so flat?

• Reply 115 of 147
    Why?

First of all, because it showed some direct comparisons of GUI elements between Macericks and Yosemite, and in each time I felt the updated version much cleaner and better. Seeing this side by side emphasized this and I looked at it in more detail.
    Second, because of the ideas of yielding more screen estate for content without compromising the UI. For example how they ensure that there is always enough dragging space in the top region of a window.
    I also like the concept of a "personalized" experience through this translucency. It is done well IMO but structured and with thought.
    Also, from the article I gathered how Apple seems to open up towards individualizations through extensions in a way that overcomes the previous hassles through "haxies" and their potential sexurity or performance issues and "cleaning up" from all previous attempts starting with system extensions in OS9 (or was it 8?) it the "services".
    In general, from the read I found that Apple put a lot of effort in cleaning up many lose ends in order to progress in a way that provides some reliability with devs, from the concepts to the tools. Kind of the big pic behind this, which I found quite interesting and moving in a good direction.
    The GUI is just the top layer a user like me experiences where one can like it dislike the aesthetics or usability. Which I do.
    Did you read the Ars Technica article? Maybe I am too naive in reading it. However, to me it showed a bigger picture and provided some good information.
  • Reply 116 of 147
    Why?

First of all, because it showed some direct comparisons of GUI elements between Macericks and Yosemite, and in each time I felt the updated version much cleaner and better. Seeing this side by side emphasized this and I looked at it in more detail.
    Second, because of the ideas of yielding more screen estate for content without compromising the UI. For example how they ensure that there is always enough dragging space in the top region of a window.
    I also like the concept of a "personalized" experience through this translucency. It is done well IMO but structured and with thought.
    Also, from the article I gathered how Apple seems to open up towards individualizations through extensions in a way that overcomes the previous hassles through "haxies" and their potential sexurity or performance issues and "cleaning up" from all previous attempts starting with system extensions in OS9 (or was it 8?) it the "services".
    In general, from the read I found that Apple put a lot of effort in cleaning up many lose ends in order to progress in a way that provides some reliability with devs, from the concepts to the tools. Kind of the big pic behind this, which I found quite interesting and moving in a good direction.
    The GUI is just the top layer a user like me experiences where one can like it dislike the aesthetics or usability. Which I do.
    Did you read the Ars Technica article? Maybe I am too naive in reading it. However, to me it showed a bigger picture and provided some good information.

Thanks for the detailed response. I'm looking forward to reading the Ars review; their detail is always amazing.
  • Reply 117 of 147
    Thanks for the detailed response. I'm looking forward to reading the Ars review; their detail is always amazing.

Definitly worth a read: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/10/os-x-10-10/
  • Reply 118 of 147

Imagine my surprise when the first thing I checked was the Help Menu and IT'S STILL MESSED UP! Come on Apple! WTH?

You busted it back in Leopard? and still haven't fixed it. For a release whose emphasis is being polished this is a bloody joke.

Pathetic.

• Reply 119 of 147
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

You busted it back in Leopard? and still haven’t fixed it.

Works fine. Never stopped working. What’s your problem with it?

• Reply 120 of 147

My God. Why can no one else see this? 

Click on the Apple icon on the top left....drag the mouse to see each drop down menu (File, Edit, View, History etc.) Notice the difference when you get to the Help drop down?