apollo powerbooks? Tokyo? Yes/No?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The following came off MacOS Rumors:

Good news for Powerbook fans: according to reliable Apple sources, the newly announced low-power version of the new 'Apollo' PowerPC 7455 SOI G4s (note these are not the long-awaited 7460s; they employ a .18 micron process instead of the 7460's .15 - the 7460 will arrive later with a 512k on-chip L2 cache, clock speeds up to 1.5GHz and lower power drain than current G4s) used in the new 933MHz and 1GHz PowerMacs will be making its premiere in Powerbook G4s perhaps as soon as Macworld Tokyo in late March. These new PBG4s would sport the new PPC 7445 processors at 667 and 800MHz, bringing the faster 133MHz main system bus to the low-end model as well. Other changes are expected to include faster hard disks, a new higher-performance/lower-power motherboard chipset, and possibly a next-generation RADEON Mobility 7500 graphics accelerator to replace the existing first-generation RADEON chip.

My question, how likelly do people think this is. I've heard a number of people on this board have issues with MacOS Rumours and would like peoples thoughts on how likelly this sounds.

To me it sounds farelly reasonable, but what would I know

This is anoying I had all but ordered a nice shinny powerbook and then something like this goes and gets posted I can wait 2 months but if its any longer I think I would just go ahead and order now. And yes I understand the upgrade band waggon (I own a PC) but If I know that in 2 months I can get a better machine, thats a little different.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    the only rumor site worth reading is ATAT: they tell you what's going on all the rest, and they are funny, too.

That having been said, the 7445 chip is listed by Motorola as available at speeds up to 800 MHz, so I'd say Tokyo is a good place for them, unless el Stevo wants to wow the Seybold crowd with some sort of "Notebook Design Workstation" doo-hickey in three weeks in NYC.

SdA
  • Reply 2 of 6
    tarbashtarbash Posts: 278member
    Yeah, I'd have to agree with MOSR on this one. 667 and 800 MHz 7445 G4s for the TiBooks. Maybe some external upgrades and mobo ones as well.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by suckfuldotagain:

<strong>the only rumor site worth reading is ATAT: they tell you what's going on all the rest, and they are funny, too.

SdA</strong><hr></blockquote>

Technically, AtAT isn't a rumor site (it's a tv show), but someone is feeding them good stuff.

I get all my good rumors from <a href="http://www.crazyapplerumors.com/"; target="_blank">CARS</a>, even if they're letting me down on the sexbots.

But I'm going to vote for TiBook upgrades in Tokyo, if only to hurry the iBook upgrades. It's a good venue for a release, and it's at the bottom of the (FIFO) stack in terms of updates.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    *l++*l++ Posts: 129member
    Japan is a big Powerbook consumer, so a Powerbook update at Tokyo's show makes a lot of sense.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    their will deff be powerbook upgrades at tokyo. Its only thing left to upgrade, notice how at the apple store the powerbooks are the only thing without NEW on it. Plus like other people have said laptops are big at the tokyo shows.

I bet my 933 G4 on it, or maby not, heh
  • Reply 6 of 6
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    There's already a thread speculating about new 'books <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001157"; target="_blank">here</a>.