Dropbox update adds support for Touch ID login, larger iPhone 6 & 6 Plus screens

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014
Popular cloud storage service Dropbox on Monday updated its official iOS application with support for Touch ID secure logins, as well as native compatibility with the larger displays of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

Dropbox 3.5 is now available as a free download from the iOS App Store. After users update, they can open the application's settings, turn on passcode, and then flip the switch to enable Touch ID.

After enabling passcode and Touch ID, users will be prompted to place their fingertip on their iPhone's home button every time they wish to reopen the application.

Dropbox 3.5 now also supports the 4.7-inch screen of the iPhone 6, and the 5.5-inch display on the iPhone 6 Plus. The update also adds a fix for previewing RTF files on iOS 8, and includes general stability and performance improvements.

The basic Dropbox service, which comes with 5 gigabytes of storage, is free, and in-app purchases for Dropbox Pro with 1 terabyte of capacity are available for $99.99 per year, or $25.99 for three months.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6

i use dropbox, and find it to be largely a very trouble free, well implemented system.

Perhaps its biggest flaw, is if you share a directory with someone, and they at some point delete the files (rather easy in the windows version - my clients have done it several times) then those files are therefore deleted from your own folder. In my case, even time machine can be used to take care of that. - don't share folders containing items you don't want deleted by accident.

With dropbox, the files reside on your own computer, and the computers that you share folders with. BUT, on IOS, the files are not kept locally (perhaps for space reasons), but there seems to be no method where you can mark a file to be kept on the IOS device. SO if you have a bunch of pdfs for example, that you want to view while in the field on your iPad, they are downloaded each time you open them.

• Reply 2 of 6
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    i use dropbox, and find it to be largely a very trouble free, well implemented system.
    Perhaps its biggest flaw, is if you share a directory with someone, and they at some point delete the files (rather easy in the windows version - my clients have done it several times) then those files are therefore deleted from your own folder. In my case, even time machine can be used to take care of that. - don't share folders containing items you don't want deleted by accident.
    With dropbox, the files reside on your own computer, and the computers that you share folders with. BUT, on IOS, the files are not kept locally (perhaps for space reasons), but there seems to be no method where you can mark a file to be kept on the IOS device. SO if you have a bunch of pdfs for example, that you want to view while in the field on your iPad, they are downloaded each time you open them.

I was just playing with a demo of Dropbox as this this article came up. The problem I have is with a new Mac Pro and its very small SSD I have learned to live with 90% of my working data and most programs residing on an attached Thunderbolt Drive. Dropbox info states it is possible to relocated the dropbox folder to an external but warns if ever that drive is not online at boot time or goes off line Dropbox will delete all the files. Both those scenarios are highly likely at one time or another. So I am back to square one, as with Apple's iCloud Drive, the internal boot drive being the only safe place for the sync folder and I don't have the space (and there are no larger SSDs for the nMP as of yet). I also tried out Carbonite and had to delete every trace of it ASAP it was so utterly horrible.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    You got it wrong. Again. No, Dropbox 3.5 is *not* available.

I followed the link and downloaded a fresh/new copy from the iOS App Store. The version that downloads shows v2.10.41 was installed. The new setting for Touch ID support as indicated is nowhere to be found. And I do not see it available directly from the Dropbox website either. :no:
  • Reply 4 of 6
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    tliszt wrote: »
    You got it wrong. Again. No, Dropbox 3.5 is *not* available.

I followed the link and downloaded a fresh/new copy from the iOS App Store. The version that downloads shows v2.10.41 was installed. The new setting for Touch ID support as indicated is nowhere to be found. And I do not see it available directly from the Dropbox website either. :no:

This link lead you to an old version ...? If so must be a screw up. I've not tried it yet so no idea if you are hallucinating to not ... :D

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dropbox/id327630330?mt=8:D
  • Reply 5 of 6
    focherfocher Posts: 687member

Worked fine for me. Dropbox app had updated in the background and, after setting a passcode in the app, the "Turn on TouchID" toggle appeared in the same Passcode settings screen.

I did find a small bug. If you have TouchID enabled and attempt to authorize a 3rd party app to use Dropbox, the TouchID screen pops up. Using your fingerprint, the app then crashed before going to the "allow" page. Canceling the TouchID window allows you to enter the Dropbox passcode you've set and it then works fine. Easy enough workaround.

• Reply 6 of 6
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

You can mark files as Favorites on your iPhone so that the files remain on your iPhone, and so that they are accessible without having a data connection:

https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/267