Apple releases iOS 8.1 with Apple Pay support for iPhone 6 & 6 Plus, SMS relay, iCloud Photo Library

Comments

• Reply 21 of 118
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

And here we see the down side of having installed the beta - my OTA is giving me the full 1.7Gb enchilada rather than the 127Mb delta update from 8.02....

Thank goodness for fibre broadband although my estimated download time keeps jumping backwards and forwards between 3 and 12 minutes...

I didn't install the beta but I always update via iTunes and it almost always downloads the full installation. I'm waiting until later today to allow the servers to take a break.

went ahead and just downloaded the update. 1.95GB on a 5s

• Reply 22 of 118
    This is the update log for iOS 8.1:

[QUOTE] iOS 8.1

This release includes new features, improvements and bug fixes, including:

• Apple Pay support for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus (U.S. only)
    • Photos includes new features, improvements and fixes
    ? Adds iCloud Photo Library as a beta service
    ? Adds Camera Roll album in Photos app and My Photo Stream album when iCloud Photo Library is not enabled
    ? Provides alerts when running low on space before capturing Time Lapse videos
    • Messages includes new features, improvements and fixes
    ? Adds the ability for iPhone users to send and receive SMS and MMS text messages from their iPad and Mac
    ? Resolves an issue where search would sometimes not display results 
    ? Fixes a bug that caused read messages to not be marked as read
    ? Fixes issues with group messaging
    • Resolves issues with Wi-Fi performance that could occur when connected to some base stations
    • Fixes an issue that could prevent connections to Bluetooth hands-free devices 
    • Fixes bugs that could cause screen rotation to stop working
    • Adds an option to select between 2G, 3G or LTE networks for cellular data
    • Fixes an issue in Safari where videos would sometimes not play
    • Adds AirDrop support for Passbook passes
    • Adds an option to enable Dictation in Settings for Keyboards, separate from Siri
    • Enables HealthKit apps to access data in the background
    • Accessibility improvements and fixes
    ? Fixes an issue that prevented Guided Access from working properly
    ? Fixes a bug where VoiceOver would not work with 3rd party keyboards
    ? Improves stability and audio quality when using MFi Hearing Aids with iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
    ? Fixes an issue with VoiceOver where tone dialing would get stuck on a tone until dialing another number
    ? Improves reliability when using handwriting, Bluetooth keyboards and Braille displays with VoiceOver
    • Fixes an issue that was preventing the use of OS X Caching Server for iOS updates 
    • Bug fixes

Some features may not be available for all countries or all areas.
    [/QUOTE]
  • Reply 23 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I've actually been considering punishing myself with McDonalds just to try ApplePay.

It's definitely not worth that level of punishment.

• Reply 24 of 118

127MB on my iPhone 6, 97MB on my iPad Air. I started the 6 install first but the Air is winning, less to change I suppose.

Beta to a GM / Release version is always a full install rather than a delta just to be safe and clean up anything that could cause issues... to be honest I was actually quite surprised that it gave me an OTA option as the 8.0 beta to GM update forced you through iTunes.

Down to 6 minutes remaining on my iPhone 6, 4 minutes remaining on my iPad 3 but that did have a couple of minute head start as I hit update on that first.
  • Reply 25 of 118
    rob53 wrote: »
    I didn't install the beta but I always update via iTunes and it almost always downloads the full installation. I'm waiting until later today to allow the servers to take a break.

Update through iTunes is always the full release - you only get the smaller delta updates OTA.
  • Reply 26 of 118
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    This update Recently Deleted my Recently Added folder.

I think it got Camera Rolled.

????

Also, I have it on good authority from the moderators of this site that the first person to use the phrase "snappier" in this thread will be banned.

[B]EDIT:[/B] I think I just got myself banned...
  • Reply 27 of 118
    gtr wrote: »
    This update Recently Deleted my Recently Added folder.

I think it got Camera Rolled.

????

Also, I have it on good authority from the moderators of this site that the first person to use the phrase "snappier" in this thread will be banned.
    Snappi...... :smokey:
  • Reply 28 of 118
    They need to report about the first person who's going to use apple pay. The first charge
  • Reply 29 of 118
    Hmm after update on my 6 plus seem to be in an endless reboot cycle.

Follow up - interrupted it by holding the power button and then got the "hello" screen and all seems good.
  • Reply 30 of 118

Don't worry

Quote:

Originally Posted by mactoid View Post

"WARNING - This update turned me into a newt"

Gingrich?  OMG!  :D

Don't worry. He got better.

• Reply 31 of 118

I've actually been considering punishing myself with McDonalds just to try ApplePay.

Get a coffee. At least that isn't full of grease.
  • Reply 32 of 118

FWIW- I have had better luck getting these kind of OS updates through the iOS device than using iTunes on my iMac. So try that if anyone is having those weird server errors.

• Reply 33 of 118

Monopoly is back!
  • Reply 34 of 118
    gtr wrote: »
    WARNING - This update turned me into a newt.

Me, too! I installed 8.1.1. I got better.
  • Reply 35 of 118
    Me, too! I installed 8.1.1. I got better.

Very encouraging to see so many Monty Python fans here. ???? (He's a fair cop)
  • Reply 36 of 118
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Monopoly is back!

You, of course, have heard that the first decade or so that they did this the winning pieces were stolen by high-ranking McDonald's officials and given to their friends, right? Lawsuit and everything. You can't win. Other than free McDonald's products, and that's not winning.

• Reply 37 of 118
    Got a quarter pounder @ McDonald's ... Worked flawlessly.
  • Reply 38 of 118

My update via Software Update on my Appe iPhone 6+ went flawlessly. Passbook now shows the Add Credit/Debit Card function. I added my Chase and Capital One cards with no problem. Love that image recognition!

Now it's off to Whole Foods to try one out!

What fun!

• Reply 39 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

you can stop by wall greens on your way home and try ApplePay there when you get your 'Tums'

• Reply 40 of 118
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    All I ask for with this update is it fixes my wifi issues, fixes text selection and copy/paste issues and makes Safari suck less. Pretty please Apple?