Apple crushes Sept. quarter record, earning $8.5B profit on sales of 39M iPhones, 5.5M Macs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    sog35 wrote: »
    iPhone YoY is 15%

39.27 million vs 33.8 million last year

He's thinking of last quarter, I suppose.
  • Reply 22 of 75
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    512ke wrote: »
    iPads?  Well, if Apple isn't selling tablets, no one is.  

Considering that there was no new iPads this year compared to last year then the number sold this past quarter isn't bad at all.
  • Reply 23 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

This quarter barely includes 6/6 Plus sales. Most of those sales will be counted next quarter.

9 days of the 6 and 6 Plus to be exact

• Reply 24 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    rogifan wrote: »
    This quarter barely includes 6/6 Plus sales. Most of those sales will be counted next quarter.

Exactly. Next quarter is going to be stunning ... new Macs too!
  • Reply 25 of 75

Phsst …  revenue is up 12% YoY, and EPS is up 20% YoY.  I'll take that any day. Far more important than any one product stat, even the iPhone, despite people who try to paint Apple as a one trick pony. 

• Reply 26 of 75
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Very impressive quarter. Haven't seen numbers for Macs yet, and I'm too lazy today to look it up on Apple's site.

Perhaps, you could just read the article you are commenting on? ;)

• Reply 27 of 75
    pdq2 wrote: »
    I dunno- I think Apple is standing alone at the top of the tech world right now.

If you don't know that by now you're never going to know.
  • Reply 28 of 75
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

If you don't know that by now you're never going to know.

Well, I'm just saying that while Apple is hitting on all cylinders right now, everyone else seems to be flailing a bit. After this report, it seems less likely that bad news out of Samsung re Android sales will be taken as a bad omen for iPhone sales (as was the common wisdom before).

• Reply 29 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

iPhone units up 15%

iPad down 5%

Mac's up 20%!!!!!!

iPad probably down because most were waiting for upgrade plus canibalization from 6 PLUS.

All I can say is the big phones have been a MASSIVE SUCCESS!!

And unlike last year these numbers DON'T INCLUDE CHINA!!!!

High guidance is forecasting 15% revenue growth for Dec quarter.

Wow yeah I forgot that they didn't include china this year in these numbers this is really huge.

• Reply 30 of 75
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    tbell wrote: »

Perhaps, you could just read the article you are commenting on? ;)

I didn't see it in the beginning. But yes, I always read them first.
  • Reply 31 of 75
    Meanwhile, Microsoft are building a watch...

/s
  • Reply 32 of 75
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

I guess we know now why the iPad Mini Retina didn't get a lot of R&D iteration love this year... 

• Reply 33 of 75
    pdq2 wrote: »
    Well, I'm just saying that while Apple is hitting on all cylinders right now, everyone else seems to be flailing a bit. After this report, it seems less likely that bad news out of Samsung re Android sales will be taken as a bad omen for iPhone sales (as was the common wisdom before).

Common it was, wisdom it was not. I will agree with the all cylinders assessment.
  • Reply 34 of 75
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Common it was, wisdom it was not. I will agree with the all cylinders assessment.

Yeah. I think Tim Cook's job is secure... well, for a quarter or two, at least!

• Reply 35 of 75
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    512ke wrote: »

iPads?  Well, if Apple isn't selling tablets, no one is.  

What are the odds that IDC have "other" manufacturers shipping even more tablets & that the iPads share of the market has gone down!?!?
  • Reply 36 of 75
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Very nice. Now maybe T Cook will actually give out a gift card rather than U2 drek. And hopefully on Black Friday we get real discounts and not that bag of hurt called a future gift card. I still have mine from last year.
  • Reply 37 of 75
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Someone on Bloomberg said Apple's future is software and services because they're high margin businesses. I'm scratching my head at that comment because Apple has been making more and more software free. And services exist to make devices more desirable to own. I'd be curious what software they think will make a lot of money for Apple.
  • Reply 38 of 75
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by total View Post

iphone units growth +4% YoY, not impressive. Supply constraints or not everyone "loves" bigger phones? Overall decent results, but stock price seems to stay around $100 for now.

Yeah, revenues up $5,000,000,000 from last yrs quarter (which was also a record last time). I guess I don't know the definition of "decent" if that defines revenues of $43B in a (non-christmas) quarter. 

And you're insane if you think it's anything other than supply constraints. These results barely included a a week of iPhone 6/6+ sales. Obviously they're selling every last one they can get. But nice try, troll. 

Hilarious how Apple has to completely decimate it's previous record-smashing results, each and every time, so that it gets the honour of having "passable" results in the eyes of  perspective-lacking tools. The same tools who concern-troll about Apple losing "marketshare" when all these other companies with "marketshare" are barely making money. 

• Reply 39 of 75
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Someone on Bloomberg said Apple's future is software and services because they're high margin businesses. I'm scratching my head at that comment because Apple has been making more and more software free. And services exist to make devices more desirable to own. I'd be curious what software they think will make a lot of money for Apple.

You're talking about Bloomberg so it doesn't surprise me they don't understand what makes Apple tick. It's hardware as you well know. They probably see the IBM connection as being the only software and services that matter. Why give Apple any credit for developing the best mobile device infrastructure when you can always be right when giving IBM credit¡

• Reply 40 of 75
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Haha and Business Insider is already freaking out because Apple Watch is going to be reported in a category called "other products" along with iPods and accessories. :D