Apple crushes Sept. quarter record, earning $8.5B profit on sales of 39M iPhones, 5.5M Macs

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I hear they were dancing in Redmond!
    I'm serious. That's why I hope we get a bigger iPad next year with side by side apps and digitizer support.
  • Reply 62 of 75
    Bloomberg and their ilk try to look at Apple like it was like the rest of tech industry which is selling commodity hardware running on an undifferentiated OS to price-sensitive bottom feeders. Apple's customers are a loyal bunch that want what Apple has and will pay the extra dollars to have the integrated experience.
    And on CNBC they were wondering how long Apple can continue to command premium pricing. Talk about wanted to bang your head against a wall.
  • Reply 63 of 75
    Analysts were expecting US$8,500,000,001. They missed the target.

It's over for Apple; is Cook slipping; do they miss Jobs?
  • Reply 64 of 75
    You can't make this stuff up. :lol:

[IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/k3ry9e.jpg[/IMG]
  • Reply 65 of 75

So much for bending iPhones...I don't even hear anything about that anymore in the media, yet it was over-reported/over-hyped non stop in the beginning.  In a couple of months, the market is going to be looking at the iPhone in a whole new way.  As many here already know, this is not the typical iPhone upgrade cycle we're dealing with.  This one is going to be absolutely massive.  We're going to see some very solid market share gains -- both in the US and World Wide.

The narrative for the past few years has been:

1) iPhone/iOS is losing to Android

2) it's the Mac/Windows PC battle happening over again

3) iPhone is too small, Apple is stubborn/clueless

4) Apple isn't innovating because Steve Jobs died, etc., etc.

This is all about to change and the narrative will become how the iPhone 6 is "THE" smartphone to own and how the 6 was the turning point in the iOS/Android saga.

• Reply 66 of 75
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

Things are so good that even Apple's guidance fails to measure its own awesomeness!

• Reply 67 of 75
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Very nice. Now maybe T Cook will actually give out a gift card rather than U2 drek. And hopefully on Black Friday we get real discounts and not that bag of hurt called a future gift card. I still have mine from last year.

As a stockholder, I would prefer if Apple takes your unredeemed gift card and applies it to their share buyback program.

• Reply 68 of 75

How can IDC and Gartner still be taken seriously.  Didn't they say 4.8M Macs this quarter?  And the TRUTH is 5.5M.  That's not just a slight miss.  They have no idea what they're talking about.  Yet when they report their numbers next quarter the stock will again drop as if the numbers actually correlate to something!  So frustrating as an investor.  Why are they not jailed...

• Reply 69 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Very nice. Now maybe T Cook will actually give out a gift card rather than U2 drek. And hopefully on Black Friday we get real discounts and not that bag of hurt called a future gift card. I still have mine from last year.

Why don't you grow up--even just a little.

• Reply 70 of 75

well done, apple, yes, well done... however... though you beat our estimates, made more money, sold more macs and iPhones, are coming out with new tech- we are concerned that, as iPad sold less, iPods are becoming irrelevant, #bendgate, and supply constraints we are not certain that your future as a tech company is in the right place. it is not what steve would have done. therefore we are rating your stock at about $89.

sincerely,

expert analysts team

• Reply 71 of 75
    rogifan wrote: »
    Knew that was going to happen.

I actually smiled when I heard Apple say that. Of course everyone and their mother will want to know iWatch sales because they can't wait to declare the first product Steve had nothing to do with a failure. I'd love it if Apple doesn't ever provide sales figures for it.

Not really.

By definition, if Apple don't provide sales figures for the iWatch, then we'll know it is a failure. That's what all companies do.
  • Reply 72 of 75
    melgross wrote: »
    Just finished watcing the Ars live blog of the earnings call ...

Came away with these 3 [main] impressions:
    1. Apple is Tim Cook's company now
    2. The iPhone 6 and 6+ are so popular that Apple doesn't know when they'll know what the real demand is
    3. Tim and Luca did a masterful job educating the financial analysts how they should evaluate Apple

Ka-Boom!

It was very interesting. They were asked, several times, about demand. I couldn't help but smile each time I heard the question, and the answer.

To play devil's advocate, don't assume that Apple's prevarication on estimates necessarily means demand will stay strong. Only Apple knows the whole story with relation to supply and demand. Of course, it's fun to speculate, but the best thing is always to wait for the earnings report each quarter. Those figures don't lie, thanks to Apple's transparency with regard to product sales.
  • Reply 73 of 75
    revenant wrote: »
    well done, apple, yes, well done... however... though you beat our estimates, made more money, sold more macs and iPhones, are coming out with new tech- <span style="line-height:22.399999618530273px;">we are concerned that, as </span>
    iPad<span style="line-height:22.399999618530273px;"> sold less, </span>
    iPods<span style="line-height:22.399999618530273px;"> are </span>
    becoming<span style="line-height:22.399999618530273px;"> irrelevant, #bendgate, and supply constraints we are not certain that your future as a tech company is in the right place. it is not what steve would have done. therefore we are rating </span>
    your stock at about $89.

sincerely,

expert analysts team

Each to their own.

Whilst your points are reasonable, I feel that you're unduly pessimistic about Apple's prospects. I feel Apple are fairly valued and probably deserve to go higher. The two main negatives at the moment are the world and the ?Watch.
  • Reply 74 of 75
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Just finished watcing the Ars live blog of the earnings call ...

Came away with these 3 [main] impressions:
    1. Apple is Tim Cook's company now
    2. The iPhone 6 and 6+ are so popular that Apple doesn't know when they'll know what the real demand is
    3. Tim and Luca did a masterful job educating the financial analysts how they should evaluate Apple

Ka-Boom!

It was very interesting. They were asked, several
    To play devil's advocate, don't assume that Apple's prevarication on estimates necessarily means demand will stay strong. Only Apple knows the whole story with relation to supply and demand. Of course, it's fun to speculate, but the best thing is always to wait for the earnings report each quarter. Those figures don't lie, thanks to Apple's transparency with regard to product sales.

I think I get what's happening. You don't seem to understand that as of now, the phones are selling in just 60% of the total intended market, and that by the end of the year, most of the market will be included. That means demand will continue to ramp for some time. We all know that after a while, sales droop. You don't have to tell us that.

But meanwhile, while Cook said that while production was ramping up, demand so far outstripped supply that it it was on "another planet".during the live broadcast a week ago, he even laughed a bit, and you could tell it was unintentional, when he was talking about 6/6+ demand. This was obviously a surprise to Apple. I went to my local Verizon store today to ask about whether I could use my iPad Air SIM in my new Air 2, when it comes this week, and also asked about 6+ deliveries. I was told, that, yes, I could use the older SIM, and that 6+ deliveries were sparse, and random, and that the 6 was easier to get, in certain configurations. Fortunately, our contracts aren't up until Jan 1.