Apple's OS X Yosemite now available for free download with Continuity features, iTunes 12, more

123457

Comments

  • Reply 121 of 147

    Nope, looks the same.

  • Reply 122 of 147

    No it doesn't. On earlier OS's (Snow Leopard) the font is different and smaller. On Yosemite at least they made the font the same, but the size is smaller than the other menu items.

  • Reply 123 of 147



    There is an actual reasoning behind that.  You'll notice that there is more of an indenting on the left hand side of that Help Menu, right? Well, that is because there are some applications which include a thumbnail or some other picture right there. It is all designed by the Help Book portion of the Apple Human Interface Guidelines: 

     

    https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/MenuBarMenus.html

     

    https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/ProvidingUserAssitAppleHelp/user_help_intro/user_assistance_intro.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000903

  • Reply 124 of 147
    I haven't yet updated from mavericks. From what I seen in screenshots, the question comes up why the UI has been turned 2d? Why is the taskbar not 3d anymore or the red, orange, green-window-buttons so flat?

    Flat is the new black.
  • Reply 125 of 147

    Can't believe none of the rumor/blog sites are reporting the HUGE Yosemite Wi-Fi issue. Major blunder AGAIN.

     

    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6601963?start=0&tstart=0

     

    Upgraded two machines at home and both can no longer stay connected despite trying ALL of the proposed solutions.

  • Reply 126 of 147
    Originally Posted by roxtar40 View Post

    Can't believe none of the rumor/blog sites are reporting the HUGE Yosemite Wi-Fi issue. Major blunder AGAIN.



    Maybe, just maybe, they're not reporting it because it is neither a major blunder nor "again".

     

    Discussions.apple.com is proof of nothing but the infinite stupidity of an uneducated user.

  • Reply 127 of 147

    Wow. An actual useful response instead of the usual 'you're an idiot' responses that seem to dominate this site....

     

    So basically because it include the Spotlight search text box they shrunk the font to squeeze more space in.

     

    I understand now. However I still think it's wrong. An interface should be consistent not changing depending on this situation or that situation etc.

     

    Still, I appreciate the links you gave.

  • Reply 128 of 147
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     



    Maybe, just maybe, they're not reporting it because it is neither a major blunder nor "again".

     

    Discussions.apple.com is proof of nothing but the infinite stupidity of an uneducated user.


    There are a heckuva lotta people (both personal and corporate) that had nary a wi-fi issue on Mavericks; upgraded to Yosemite and bam! - jacked up. Do a Google search. It's on numerous boards; not just Apple's. If you're the sage wizard of Macs, share with the world the fix so that double-digit discussion pages can get educated and give Apple a great big hug for never ever having a bug.

  • Reply 129 of 147
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

    An interface should be consistent not changing depending on this situation or that situation etc.


     

    Good to know that I should have the same UI for a first person shooter as I do for a turn-based board game.

  • Reply 130 of 147
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    Good to know that I should have the same UI for a first person shooter as I do for a turn-based board game.


     

    Way to miss the point completely. ;)

  • Reply 131 of 147
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by roxtar40 View Post

     

    There are a heckuva lotta people (both personal and corporate) that had nary a wi-fi issue on Mavericks; upgraded to Yosemite and bam! - jacked up. Do a Google search. It's on numerous boards; not just Apple's. If you're the sage wizard of Macs, share with the world the fix so that double-digit discussion pages can get educated and give Apple a great big hug for never ever having a bug.




    Because if you read it on the InterWebs, then it just HAS to be true.  Right?

  • Reply 132 of 147
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

     



    Because if you read it on the InterWebs, then it just HAS to be true.  Right?




    Forget it. This place is full of as many idiots and trolls as Facebook. No, because I and numerous others all over a dozen different message boards (many of which are network admins or IT guys - of which I am one) know the *#&$ what we are talking about and it occurred on 2 of my machines that were flawless until upgrading. Thank goodness I limit my social network to forums of value. Now I know to cross this off my list. Jerk-wad.

  • Reply 133 of 147
    Originally Posted by roxtar40 View Post

    Thank goodness I limit my social network to forums of value. Now I know to cross this off my list.



    K. See you. When you can figure out how to troubleshoot, enjoy your upgrade.

  • Reply 134 of 147
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

     

    Wow. An actual useful response instead of the usual 'you're an idiot' responses that seem to dominate this site....

     

    So basically because it include the Spotlight search text box they shrunk the font to squeeze more space in.

     

    I understand now. However I still think it's wrong. An interface should be consistent not changing depending on this situation or that situation etc.

     

    Still, I appreciate the links you gave.




    You are actually quite correct. I mistakenly assumed that because this forum was primarily Apple users, that people would be eager to assist other Apple users. Wong. What it is, is a toxic hell stew of forum members bashing other forum members, grammar correction (most helpful) and the sneering remarks of anonymous users feeling superior to others. It's getting as bad as BGRs site. 

     

    Then you have other members whose sole purpose in life is to denigrate anyone for the sake of it. If you're looking for help, post in the Apple forums. They seem a lot more intelligent, and are there for the purpose intended - to seek solutions and offer same to others.

  • Reply 135 of 147
    Originally Posted by MarkyMarc43 View Post

    If you're looking for [people whose sole purpose in life is to blow things that aren't problems in the slightest so out of proportion that people start getting false sympathetic symptoms regarding them], post in the Apple forums.




    Fixed.

  • Reply 136 of 147
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by roxtar40 View Post

     



    Forget it. This place is full of as many idiots and trolls as Facebook. No, because I and numerous others all over a dozen different message boards (many of which are network admins or IT guys - of which I am one) know the *#&$ what we are talking about and it occurred on 2 of my machines that were flawless until upgrading. Thank goodness I limit my social network to forums of value. Now I know to cross this off my list. Jerk-wad.




    Classy.

     

    "Jerk wad?"  What are you, 12?

  • Reply 137 of 147
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,364member

    Having different account for iTunes and iCloud makes this upgrading so much more painful than it should be.  I wish Apple would allow me to merge them so, so much :(

  • Reply 138 of 147
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

    Having different account for iTunes and iCloud makes this upgrading so much more painful than it should be.  I wish Apple would allow me to merge them so, so much :(

     

    Yosemite and Mavericks take that into account when you install, even. They have an option for doing just that.

     

    Yes, it sucks that we can't just merge our old accounts up to iCloud, but it's typing in two usernames and passwords instead of one; not that big a deal.

  • Reply 139 of 147
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,364member

    What option?  There was no option as part of the install process to log into a different store account from your iCloud account.  Or if there was is was so unobtrusive that I completely missed it.  And one man's "no big deal" is another man's "three hours later and it still isn't working quite right" (not just iCloud problems, but it adds up).

     

    I know that you can make it work, but even then, there are problems.  App Stores automatically being logged into the iCloud account for example (which has meant that my iWork suite is assigned to my iCloud account, so I now need to authenticate the App Store twice, and remember it whenever there's an iWork update).  Also, two-factor authentication effectively becomes four-way authentication.  Secure perhaps, but a pain in the neck, and when clearly the process is so simple when there's only one account, it's a kick in the teeth that the two account users, who probably have two accounts because they were .Mac or MobileMe subscribers back in the day (I was), have to suffer the messing around.

     

     

    I'm also not fully confident that my apps are behaving well with iCloud, there seems to be a lot of stuff missing from iCloud Drive.  I'll give it a day or two in case it needs to sync itself up, but it's disconcerting.

     

    I also (not really related, but I'm feeling a bit ranty) managed to lock myself out of my iCloud Keychain because for some bizarre reason upgrading to Yosemite and iOS8.1 deauthorised both my Mac and my iPhone.  Wouldn't have been a problem if it was just one, just reauthorise using the other, but nope, that's no good.  Apparently there's security code method as a last resort, but I (accepting full blame) have no idea what that was, so I lost my Keychain.  Fortunately, 1Password is my main password repository, iCloud is just a backup of that, but still, annoyances.

  • Reply 140 of 147
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

    What option?  There was no option as part of the install process to log into a different store account from your iCloud account.  Or if there was is was so unobtrusive that I completely missed it.

     

    It showed up right on the iCloud screen at the bottom. Click it and the iTunes/App Store logos fade away, letting you know you’re only signing in for iCloud. Afterward, a window where the iCloud logo was faded.

     
    App Stores automatically being logged into the iCloud account for example...

     

    I’ve never had that happen...

Sign In or Register to comment.