Apple releases iOS 8.1 with Apple Pay support for iPhone 6 & 6 Plus, SMS relay, iCloud Photo Library

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 118

I've actually been considering punishing myself with McDonalds just to try ApplePay.

Get a coffee. At least that isn't full of grease.

Or a double cheeseburger.
  • Reply 102 of 118
    christophb wrote: »

I've actually been considering punishing myself with McDonalds just to try ApplePay.

Monopoly is back!

I'm not aware that Monopoly is one of the built-in apps. However, I'm prepared to stand corrected.
  • Reply 103 of 118
    gtr wrote: »
    WARNING - This update turned me into a newt.

Me, too! I installed 8.1.1. I got better.

Just watch out if you install 8.8. I've heard early reports of alpha testers turning into octopussies.
  • Reply 104 of 118
    blkstr360 wrote: »
    Got a quarter pounder @ McDonald's ... Worked flawlessly.

Good to know they're giving away 25 pee in Maccy Dees.
  • Reply 105 of 118
    chadbag wrote: »

You can always give it to a homeless person.  Or offer to pay for some frazzled mom with the kid lets in the line in front of you.   You don<span style="line-height:1.4em;">'t actually have to eat there to try it.</span>

It's good to see the Ferrari of phones teaming up with the Ferrari of restaurants.
  • Reply 106 of 118
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    john.b wrote: »

Most of my screen rotation issues for 8.0.x were resolved by turning off Reachability.  Mad props to the anonymous MR reader who clued me in on that.  So this was at least common enough over on MR that I was able to find how other people with the same issues who managed to find ways to work around the problems. 

And it can't have been too rare if the fix got its own shout-out in the 8.1 release notes:

and i could argue that its rare enough not to have been an issue on our four devices. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">until a sample size increases to incorporate more than the use cases tested in the lab, bugs will happen, and it </span>
    doesn't<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> mean apple is going downhill, or that its troubling, or any of the other FUD crap. rather, iOS devices are selling more & more, resulting in more variables and use cases. </span>

Happened on my 5, too, which suggests that most if not all iOS devices were affected.
  • Reply 107 of 118
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

There are known knowns and known unknowns. Then there are unknown knowns and unknown unknowns. Also, there be unknown knowns and known gnomes.

I knew about the known knowns but not the not-so-new unknowns.

If I had have known about them then I would definitely have known not to know them as unknowns.

• Reply 108 of 118
    There are known knowns and known unknowns. Then there are unknown knowns and unknown unknowns. Also, there be unknown knowns and known gnomes.

I knew about the known knowns but not the not-so-new unknowns.

If I had have known about them then I would definitely have known not to know them as unknowns.

Know what?

You're right.
  • Reply 109 of 118
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I wasn't aware of any update to Safari.

'Snappiness' is a unit of measurement that can be applied to, not only browsers, but any kind of software that has been optimised.

Hence the phrase, "This new software upgrade has given me up to 24 percent more snappiness than before".

• Reply 110 of 118
    I wasn't aware of any update to Safari.

'Snappiness' is a unit of measurement that can be applied to, not only browsers, but any kind of software that has been optimised.

Hence the phrase, "This new software upgrade has given me up to 24 percent more snappiness than before".

Sacrilege.

There is only one application that can have the epithet 'snappier' applied to, and it begins with an 'S', ends with an 'i' and has 'afar' in the middle.
  • Reply 111 of 118
    I'm not aware that Monopoly is one of the built-in apps. However, I'm prepared to stand corrected.

http://www.playatmcd.com

-Cheers
  • Reply 112 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

WARNING - This update turned me into a newt.

Similar experience here, but your transformation was considerably larger than my newt.

• Reply 113 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Get a coffee. At least that isn't full of grease.

Yes, it is only full of dead mice!

• Reply 114 of 118
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    cgs268 wrote: »
    <p style="border:0px;color:rgb(51,51,51);margin-bottom:.5em;margin-top:1.35em;vertical-align:baseline;"> </p>

<p style="border:0px;color:rgb(51,51,51);margin-bottom:.5em;margin-top:.5em;vertical-align:baseline;">And where on <span style="border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:baseline;">icloud.com</span>
     do I see the photos???</p>

https://beta.icloud.com/#photos
  • Reply 115 of 118
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Really liking iCloud photo library. The web interface is extremely fast, clean, and simple to use. I imagine they will add features over time, such as photo-editing from the browser, and of course sharing options. But I see it as a great start, this is what I've been wanting for a long time. Really simplifies the concept of photo storage, and not uploading them to Google or other 3rd parties is a huge bonus in my book. 

• Reply 116 of 118
    I hadn't used my Capital One card for over almost two months, but within an hour of entering in my card info into Apple Pay (and the Capital One app that is associated with it) I had a fraudulent online charge from some company called "Netuno" from Brazil. Capital One killed the charge, but I find the timing of this to be a little too coincidental. Anyone else have this happen to them?
  • Reply 117 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Yes, it is only full of dead mice!

Dead mouse?

• Reply 118 of 118
    O yes. Only 39 hours to download. Quality service to distribute. I know everybody is downloading, but I would think grid of servers is better organized. I wish I could attach picture from iTunes here.

Also when doing this from iPhone... do I really need 2.2GB of free memory just to install about 200MB update? Interesting.