Apple sells 5.5M Macs in Q3 2014, destroys previous record without major product changes

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    "...Apple sold more than 5.5 million Macs without colorably adding to the lineup..."

Colorably?
  • Reply 42 of 59
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

Yet again you spam the forum with insults and bring nothing of value to the table.

Don't you ever tire of being such a worthless jerk?

Everything is normal with him, he is behaving like a jerk that why. You expect him not to?

• Reply 43 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roake View Post

And a damned good actor he is!

I resemble that remark. image

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roake View Post

You have a narrow view of the definition of "war."  Sound like the PTSD speaking.

Because its definition is indeed narrow.

war

noun

1.a state of armed conflict between different nations or states or different groups within a nation or state.

Why stop there?

war |wôr|nouna state of armed conflict between different nations or states or differentgroups within a nation or state: Japan declared waron Germany | the two countries had been at warfor six years.• a particular armed conflict: after the war, they immigrated to America.• a state of competition, conflict, or hostility between different people or groups: she was at war withher parents | a price war among discount retailers.• a sustained effort to deal with or end a particular unpleasant or undesirable situation or condition: the authorities are waging war againstall forms of smuggling | a war ondrugs.

The second to last is pretty on point, unless you are trying to make everyone believe that war only has one very limited definition.

• Reply 44 of 59
    v900v900 Posts: 101member
      The iPad is probably 3rd on your Apple shopping list for the casual computer user.

Nah... Most casual users come to stores looking for a 3-400$ computer on "sale".

The gulf in price between the 899$ MacBook and all the 11-15" computers on sale for 400$ and below is still too wide.
    (Not that the current MacBook prices are too high. A piece of quality hardware should not be a casual expenditure.)

Keep in mind, all the casual users who got a computer the last ten years, have become used to paying 500$ or less for a computer.

Even a 499$ iPad is a little pricy for them. "But I can get a laptop for 300$ that has more than TEN times the hard disk space!"

Instead, when I work retail (Best Buy kinda store) and a casual user asks me to see a good, inexpensive computer I first show them the PCs that are for sale, inquire to what they're going to use them for, and then bring them over to the iPads while explaining that "400$ doesn't get you a real quality machine or a great experience, I'm afraid. But if you're only going to use it for some light surfing and occasional email, an iPad could give you a much more satisfying experience. And with an iPad, you get a real beautiful, premium quality kind of device at a similar price."

Then I show them the different features, and how you use it, and let them play with it themselves. And after ten minutes they usually leave with a 16gb iPad Air or iPad 2/4.

And whenever I see them again (usually cause they're getting a new case or keyboard for it) they're head over heels with their iPad, tell me how much they love it and how they barely use their old computer anymore :)
  • Reply 45 of 59
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So much for handwringing over Broadwell.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macnewsjunkie View Post

I would guess that Apple has some other new products waiting for the Broadwell ramp. There is a decent possibility that broad well was going to make a new form factor possible.

What's this thing with Broadwell?

I hear intel is going to release Skylake in 2015 as well?

This means Broadwell - which hasn't been released yet - will be very shortlived.

Intel is pushing Skylake as a radical new departure. Does that mean Apple will skip Broadwell altogether and instead focus its designs on Skylake? Skylake will allow Apple to re-imagine their desktop/laptop computer.

• Reply 46 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

The iPad is probably 3rd on your Apple shopping list for the casual computer user.

It probably is. It's nice to have. It gives comfort, but it is not essential.

Although I must say Adobe is making it really hard for creatives to ignore the iPad. Their digital ink & slide concept is awesome and way more productive than using a laptop.

• Reply 47 of 59
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Look at the price reductions of the MacBook Air. Clearly the reason for these numbers.

• Reply 48 of 59
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    I made a rare visit to a large electronic store recently and I took the opportunity to peruse their vast range of laptops. I clicked all the trackpads and had a general press, squeeze and fondle of them and I was shocked at how crap they all were. Even ones that were in the same price bracket as Apple. I thought the Surface was supposed to be this solid well made object, but the case felt like plastic, I pinged it with my fingernail but in the end I had to go online to confirm that it was indeed metal. How they made metal feel like plastic is beyond me, the pull out stand at the back felt particularly flimsy and cheap, yet I hear it was supposed to be solid with a quality feel.

No wonder Apple is doing well. He who laughs last laughs best. Too bad Jobs is not around to enjoy it.
  • Reply 49 of 59
    Great, I guess IPad losses account for Mac gains?(at least in MacBooks)

Well this is interesting...

If you think you want a tablet to replace your windows laptop... look at an iPad and next to is is a 11" Macbook Air at 899. and a 13' at $999.  You've looked at the iPad and thought while good, it's not for you... because for a couple hundred dollars more you get the keyboard, and the larger screen and the zippy performance.  You see the better construction and all the headaches you've had with your Dell/HP/Lenovo laptop, and you say, I'd be spending $800 for a big iPad... $100 more and I get laptop with the same quality.

Personally, I also think you get an iPhone, and you don't need an iPad first... you need a laptop.   The iPad is probably 3rd on your Apple shopping list for the casual computer user.

Sales figures put iPhone 1st, iPad 2nd and Mac 3rd. For me, it's iPad 1st, iPhone 2nd and Mac 3rd.
  • Reply 50 of 59
    foggyhill wrote: »
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) I can think of very few wars that "destroy, eradicate, and erase" their opponent.

2) How many other OEMs are still making traditional "PCs" after 30+ years, not to mention succeeding at it turning a good profit?

Most wars are stalemates or at best everybody loses, but you lost more and so lets end it here. 

Vietnam? Who won, or lost? If you judge by destruction alone, the viet cong lost.... Korean conflict? Nobody won. Iraq war. One side is "destroyed", but fights a rear guard action for the next 10 years.. Same with Afghanistan and most modern conflicts.  Even the Bosnian war can hardly say that the Serbs were destroyed. In fact, the winning side lost more than the winners it seems. In Civil wars, everyone's destroyed, hardly a good conclusion. WWI, everybody lost, the germans slightly more. WWII, everyone in Europe struggled post war, yet the loser is the one who recovered the best.

Your definition of winning and losing is not nearly narrow enough.

Every war has a winner and a loser. If there's a truce and no declaration of victory, then the side that started it is the loser. Otherwise, the side which kills more people is the winner.
  • Reply 51 of 59
    "...Apple sold more than 5.5 million Macs without colorably adding to the lineup..."

Colorably?

No new Bondi Blue iMacs.
  • Reply 52 of 59
    Regardless of the definition of war... Apple started the PC Revolution... and ended it quite well I would say.

We're amid the Post-PC Revolution... and it appears Apple is only training against itself AKA cannibalizing it's own products.
  • Reply 53 of 59
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    geekmee wrote: »
    Absolutely shocking... Who could have seen this coming?
    The halo effect is real and is unleashing its power. I tried Apple Pay twice yesterday and both worked flawlessly. It adds tremendous value to the ecosystem. With the coming Apple Watch, more halo effect is expected. And don't forget a Retina MBA.
  • Reply 54 of 59
    canukstorm wrote: »
    The PC market, for the most part, is dependant upon Intel / Windows (now Intel / ChromeOS) for its success.  Until Windows 10 / Intel Broadwell platform roll out, we won't know how well the PC market will come out of its decline.  I can't speak for the average consumer, but enterprises are more excited about Windows 10 compared to Windows 8.  But like I said, we'll see.

No. I don't think anyone is excited about Windows 10... and least of all the poor engineers at Microsoft that would "like" to do something modern and innovative, but are being hamstrung by their ass-backwards constituency.

Windows 10: The votes are pouring in for these 10 features

Currently, there's a voting impasse between the voters that want a cohesive flat modern interface like Win8, and the ones that want Windows to bring back Aero.... among other silly backwards features.

Note: Take a look at the slides, and you have 10 reasons why people are buying Apple computers... actually more than 20 if you look beyond the slide title. :no:
  • Reply 55 of 59
    roakeroake Posts: 811member

War is not limited to nations.  Only an idiot would say otherwise.

While Samsung could be be said to be losing the war with Apple, it could also be said that they are succeeding beyond their wildest dreams because of Apple; Apple created a niche market and has grown it to staggering heights.  Samsung, being the well-funded parasite that it is, has invaded this niche space and carved out for itself more success than it could have ever hoped to achieve in the luxury mobile-device market (or even mobile market in general) had Apple not decided to turn the cell-phone and mobile device market on its ear.  Samsung owes their mobile successes to Apple.

• Reply 56 of 59

So you didn't feel like giving it a bend to see if it really was metal?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

I made a rare visit to a large electronic store recently and I took the opportunity to peruse their vast range of laptops. I clicked all the trackpads and had a general press, squeeze and fondle of them and I was shocked at how crap they all were. Even ones that were in the same price bracket as Apple. I thought the Surface was supposed to be this solid well made object, but the case felt like plastic, I pinged it with my fingernail but in the end I had to go online to confirm that it was indeed metal. How they made metal feel like plastic is beyond me, the pull out stand at the back felt particularly flimsy and cheap, yet I hear it was supposed to be solid with a quality feel.

No wonder Apple is doing well. He who laughs last laughs best. Too bad Jobs is not around to enjoy it.

• Reply 57 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Regardless of the definition of war... Apple started the PC Revolution... and ended it quite well I would say.

We're amid the Post-PC Revolution... and it appears Apple is only training against itself AKA cannibalizing it's own products.

Yes! And "Continuity" & "Handoff" are taking the Revolution to a whole new level.

This feels like 2001 when Steve Jobs introduced his vision of a Digital HUB.

I suspect despair and panic in the Google offices, much like 2007 when Apple presented the iPhone to the world. How are they going to replicate this? They have to up their Android game on all levels: phone, tablet and desktop. It's a crazy challenge. Even Microsoft still looks clueless with Windows 10 ...

• Reply 58 of 59
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Well Macs are better than iPads- a much better investment for any college student. Can run windows too. FoR anyone got that matter.
  • Reply 59 of 59
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

I simply need a living room Mac to act as a media and file server; I don't have the space or need for an additional living room monitor, otherwise I'd go for the entry-level iMac that "everyone" hates. 

My 2009 mini is doing just that and chugging right along. You don't need a monitor for a media/file server, that's what Screen Sharing on your other Mac(s) is for (or Screens etc on iPad). Or hook it up to your TV. And you don't need the latest mini if you're just doing light duty file/media serving.