iPad sales narrowly beat expectations as Tim Cook targets "negative commentary," says market isn't s

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

I've got an iPad 4 and I don't see me upgrading any time soon. It works just fine. 

I'd upgrade to a larger iPad if one came out though.

• Reply 22 of 50

Apple has always built hardware that lasts a long time if you need/want it to. Macs have always lasted a lot longer than Windows PCs.

Heck my other half had an iPhone 4 and was happy with it, she only upgraded when I bought her an iPhone 6 recently.

I have an iPhone4S but have also bought myself an iPhone6+ (I think I'll keep and use both : taking with me the one that best suits my purposes and attire). I think iPhones are the most personal of devices Apple ships at the moment and so they are replaced/upgraded most frequently. 

iPads are less personal and so users don't upgrade them as often as iPhones. I have an iPad3 and it works 100% fine for everything we use it for from movies to games to browsing. I have bought an iPad Air2 though so I can see how good the A8X is :)

When the Apple Watch comes out this will then be the most personal device Apple ship and I think many/most people will upgrade it every single year if new sensors/functionality are added or the design changes. I imagine the design may change every other year like the iDevices so the longest time most people will have an Apple Watch before upgrading will be 2 years.

• Reply 23 of 50
    IBM hasn't launched it's global distribution of iPad equipped enterprise solutions and you folks not seeing the picture either have no memory or weren't around when Apple announced the partnership for this global partnership covering desktop/workstation/iPad/iphone in all commercial markets IBM and Apple are king and will become king.

iPad sales will explode in all markets that need them but I'll just give you a list:

[LIST=1]
    [*] Commercial and Residential Real Estate
    [*] Banking and Financial Planning
    [*] Top 500 corporations expanding remote access for clients deployed globally
    [*] UN Governments and all affiliated branches
    [*] US Congress and beyond
    [*] Top 200 US Universities
    [*] US Government Research Labs, FBI, CIA, NSA, etc.
    [/LIST]
  • Reply 24 of 50
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

The iPad sales flattened out about the same time as iOS 7 came out, expect...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"iPad sales were consistent with our expectations," Maestri stated, noting in particular that Apple "experienced very strong results in Japan, where iPad sales were up 46 percent year over year."

...except in Japan where they went through the roof. And Japan is known for it's cultural like of minimalism and cute things, both properties of the new GUI.

• Reply 25 of 50
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

iPad sales will explode in all markets that need them but I'll just give you a list:

1. Commercial and Residential Real Estate

2. Banking and Financial Planning

3. Top 500 corporations expanding remote access for clients deployed globally

4. UN Governments and all affiliated branches

5. US Congress and beyond

6. Top 200 US Universities

7. US Government Research Labs, FBI, CIA, NSA, etc.

Yes it will explode in those markets, but only if it has a serious looking GUI that a businessman can take to his manager without getting a quizzical look back. The iPad will also take education by storm, but only if teachers feel they are giving the kids a serious learning tool, and not something to play with. This also requires a serious looking GUI, else teachers may revert to laptops just to get the seriousness a keyboard brings.

• Reply 26 of 50
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by helia View Post

I think people don't upgrade their iPads because the older ones still work fine.

I have an original iPad and it still works just fine - mostly my grand daughter uses it for Netflix and a few games - but both the wife and I use it for web browsing and I also use it for remote control of various computers. 

My son has the original iPad Mini and it still works just fine - he doesn't use quite so much as he used now that he has a MacBook. 

Every announcement makes me think I should get myself a new iPad - but there currently isn't a big enough gap in the functionality of all the other computing devices I have that I feel compelled to get a new iPad just because it is faster or lighter etc. Though they are getting to the point where I could almost see taking an iPad on a trip instead of the MacBook - or at least on a personal trip rather than a business trip as I still need to use a virtual machine and windows only software for portions of my job. 

• Reply 27 of 50
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I was hoping for some new Apple Maps stuff last week, including a web interface at maps.apple.com.

Still can't believe they didn't keep the ?2 and ?3 but instead kept only one and for the labels you'll need the mouse. A pity.

What I would love to be able to do is importing my .gpx tracks from running and cycling. Because I have yet to find a better app than the crap Garmin puts out.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    The reality is in the numbers, and they are quite clear in the back to school quarter. Mac sales surge, iPad sales flat-a little lower. 

Is the market saturated? No. Is anyone else winning at the space? Definitely not.  Is this also the "Post PC era" so for told, largely no in my opinion. When push comes to shove the fascination is still phones as the driver and laptops for everything else. Maybe tablets will eventually take off the way smart phones have, maybe they won't, the jury is still out. 

iPhone is also a Post-PC device. We're firmly in that era, and Apple never said that the iPad was the only PostPC device. When you add iPhone and iPad sales, Apple still outnumbers just about every PC maker.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Hard to believe anything in an article that starts with a lie... Ipad numbers were BELOW market expectations.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

iPhone is also a Post-PC device. We're firmly in that era, and Apple never said that the iPad was the only PostPC device. When you add iPhone and iPad sales, Apple still outnumbers just about every PC maker.

Sorry, the phone is not a PC replacement. It is firmly its own category.

• Reply 31 of 50
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    herbapou wrote: »
    Hard to believe anything in an article that starts with a lie... Ipad numbers were BELOW market expectations.

Not so. Better go back and read the chart and bar graph at the top of this article.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    the problem with the iPads is that they are such excellent devices that many people find them fit for what they need on a daily basis and don't need much more improvement. A desktop slows down as new software gets released, fame consoles become unsupported, and phones up the ante each time in specs. For tablets they are not as crucial as the overall functionality and experience. I'm on my second iPad and will get a new air 2 soon. I do want something ligniter that doesn't whack me too badly in the nose when reading in bed, I was sceptical till I held an air in my hands and felt the big difference, however I held out cos I wanted the finger print scanner feature.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Sorry, the phone is not a PC replacement. It is firmly its own category.

Apple considers it a PC replacement. If you watch the usage habits of many, it's a PC replacement. Therefore, it's a PC replacement. It does not require a PC to function as it once did.

It's stupid to think of it as just a phone anyway, it's a pocket computer that has a phone app. That's pretty much how it gets  used. I highly doubt someone buys an iPhone just for the phone.

• Reply 34 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

The problem is Wall Street CLOWNS are comparing Quarter vs Quarter.

They need to compare 3 year cycles because that's how long it takes for people to replace their iPad.

Below is a table of iPad sales by Quarter

Quarter Units 3 Year
    Q3 10           3.30  
    Q4 10           4.20  
    Q1 11           7.30  
    Q2 11           4.70  
    Q3 11           9.30  
    Q4 11         11.10  
    Q1 12         15.40  
    Q2 12          11.80  
    Q3 12         17.00  
    Q4 12         14.00  
    Q1 13         22.90  
    Q2 13         19.50      140.50
    Q3 13         14.60  
    Q4 13         14.10  
    Q1 14         26.00  
    Q2 14         16.40  
    Q3 14         13.30  
    Q4 14         12.30  

As you can see the first 3 years of iPad sales totaled 140 million units.

Looking at the current pace the next 3 years should be in excess of 200 million units.

Comparing 3 year time frames that's almost a 45% increase in unit sales.

Unless, of course, iPad sales continue to slide... and then it could be less than 140 million.

• Reply 35 of 50

Maybe Mac sales will eventually be greater than iPad sales.   :D

• Reply 36 of 50
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    IBM hasn't launched it's global distribution of iPad equipped enterprise solutions and you folks not seeing the picture either have no memory or weren't around when Apple announced the partnership for this global partnership covering desktop/workstation/iPad/iphone in all commercial markets IBM and Apple are king and will become king.

1. Commercial and Residential Real Estate
    2. Banking and Financial Planning
    3. Top 500 corporations expanding remote access for clients deployed globally
    4. UN Governments and all affiliated branches
    5. US Congress and beyond
    6. Top 200 US Universities
    7. US Government Research Labs, FBI, CIA, NSA, etc.

100% agree. WE haven't seen iPad sales scratch the surface yet ... oops did I just say that? :D
  • Reply 37 of 50
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Maybe Mac sales will eventually be greater than iPad sales.   :D

That'd be nice but I suspect the IBM partnership will address that likelihood. We will however, see continued growth in sales of Macs I am sure. It is getting to the point when I travel that seeing anything but glowing white Apple logos is the exception, airports being a great example. The occasional person in a corner with some ugly PC laptop usually looks embarrassed as passers by look to see what on earth it is. :D
  • Reply 38 of 50
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    One problem that I think Apple has lies with the replacement market. That is, every time someone replaces an existing iPad they then turn around and hand down or resell the old iPad.

As such, whenever Apple sells a replacement iPad they take not one, but two customers out of the market.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

We have 6 more quarters to see a full refresh cycle.

Comparing one quarter to another is stupidity.

You need to compare 3 year period to another 3 year period.  By Q2 2016 we will see where the iPad is

The last 6 quarters in the previous 3 year cycle sold 15 million more iPads than the first 6 quarters of this 3 year cycle.

• Reply 40 of 50
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member

GTR, Ha, ha!!!!! What drugs are you on? Did you not read anything in the news. Apple just posted another record quarter and the iPads that are out there now are sales of last years models and they still met forecasts. So go Boom! yourself somewhere else. With IOS8, Yosemite working together like nothing on the market sales will go even higher so Boom yourself!