Video: Using Apple Pay in-store on an iPhone 6 is quick, convenient, and dead simple

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2014
With this week's launch of iOS 8.1 and Apple Pay, shoppers can now use Apple's tap-to-pay functionality in the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in a variety of in-store locations. AppleInsider offers a closer look at just how quick and easy it is to use the new digital payment system.

Following the launch of Apple Pay on Monday, AppleInsider gave the new near field communication-based e-wallet system a test at a variety of locations. In our experience, Apple Pay was as simple as could be.

We successfully used Apple Pay at Panera Bread, Walgreens and Toys R Us, and the system worked exactly as advertised. Simply placing our iPhone 6 close enough to the payment receiver would automatically cause the screen to display Passbook and our default credit card, with no need to unlock the phone or select anything.

Apple Pay prompts the user to place their finger on the iPhone's Touch ID fingerprint sensor. Because it uses NFC technology, it is exclusive to the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

While a user's default credit card (by default first one they scanned in to Passbook) is displayed, alternative cards that have been added to the system can be selected by tapping at the bottom of the screen.

Once the user's fingerprint has been identified, that's it. In our tests, the terminal immediately informed us that the transaction was successful.

In fact, in our three successful tests, it took longer for the employees at the register to hand us our receipt than it did for Apple Pay to authorize the transaction.

Apple's official list of participating Apple Pay retailers includes Chevron gas stations. We attempted to use Apple Pay at the pump at two Chevron stations, both of which advertised that they offer "FastPay," but neither worked.

With that in mind, it's important to remember that Monday's launch of Apple Pay is just the start, as NFC-based transactions are still in their infancy and market watchers hope that Apple's adoption of the technology will help spread its use considerably.

If and when it does become standard, paying for goods with Apple Pay and Touch ID is just as simple and convenient as advertised.

To learn how to add credit cards to Apple Pay and Passbook, see AppleInsider's step-by-step tutorial. And below is the full list of launch partners with retail locations where Apple Pay should currently be supported:
  • Aeropostale
  • Babies R Us
  • BJ's
  • Bloomingdale's
  • Champs Sports
  • Chevron
  • Duane Reade
  • ExtraMile
  • Foot Locker
  • FootAction
  • House of Hoops
  • Kids Foot Locker
  • Lady Foot Locker
  • Macy's
  • McDonald's
  • Nike
  • Office Depot
  • Panera Bread
  • Petco
  • RadioShack
  • Run by Foot Locker
  • Six:02
  • Sports Authority
  • Subway
  • Texaco
  • Toys R Us
  • Unleashed
  • Walgreens
  • Wegmans
  • Whole Foods

Comments

• Reply 1 of 181
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    it's fun to see Americans getting to grips with wave to pay..
  • Reply 2 of 181

Yep, that's about how it's supposed to look :)

• Reply 3 of 181
    vartvvartv Posts: 10member

It would have been easier to just whip a CC and swipe it (I know less secure).  Video didn't help...

• Reply 4 of 181
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Yep, that's about how it's supposed to look :)

I'm sorry, why is this obsolete, insecure, ineffective version being shown here? No one cares.

• Reply 5 of 181
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    This is great. I do all my shopping at House of Hoops :-)
  • Reply 6 of 181

This is probably a really stupid question so please forgive me.  If a store accepts wireless payments but isn't on the list of supported stores BUT you have your credit card in Apple Pay, can you use it there?

• Reply 7 of 181
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I'm sorry, but the video doesn't bring the message across, for me. The article did however, so thanks AI.
  • Reply 8 of 181
    Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

This is probably a really stupid question so please forgive me.  If a store accepts wireless payments but isn't on the list of supported stores BUT you have your credit card in Apple Pay, can you use it there?

You probably can't use Apple Pay there. They need a payment terminal that supports Apple Pay, along with supported cards.

• Reply 9 of 181
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I'm sorry, why is this obsolete, insecure, ineffective version being shown here? No one cares.

Because it's current, secure, and effective, just like Apple Pay.

• Reply 10 of 181
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    This worked well for me on three occasions. GNC didn't take ApplePay yet.
  • Reply 11 of 181
    vartvvartv Posts: 10member

TOTALLY agree...

• Reply 12 of 181

LOL. Not. ApplePay doesn't relay my purchase information to Apple or Google, it uses tokenization, and it actually works. Google's implementation is just another one of their multitude of failures.
  • Reply 13 of 181
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

The unfortunate thing is that media, at least here in SoCal, is reporting the roll-out is bumpy, implying that there are tech problems Apple needs to deal with, so, unless you get past  the lead tag, to discover that it's the merchants who are at least in some locations, not quite prepared,

it casts suspicion on a process that really needs to be understood as secure and simple.

In other cases, media outlets are presenting Apple Pay as really no more secure or any different from Google Wallet or other primitive attempts at this (sorta like Waterrockets above)...

I really love a free and energetic press/media, but certain portions of it are truly obtuse and/or despicable.

• Reply 14 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Yep, that's about how it's supposed to look :)   (Nexus 5)

Except it's less secure and inconvenient.. You have to 'load' your Google account with funds.. which is the first killer.. Can't just charge to an existing card... Second, you don't have a way to do it security from lock screen..

With your Android Phone, you need to:

• Unlock phone

• Open Google Wallet

• Unlock Google Wallet

• Load Google Wallet if not enough funds 'loaded into Google Wallet Account. If you have money in Google Wallet you can use it and you cannot charge directly to a CC/Debit Card.. must keep funds loaded.. hate that..

• Place Android Phone near terminal to complete

The process is klugey / clunky ... and Google keeps a copy of your CC / Debit card info so you can 'load' your Google Wallet with funds. Apple Pay does NOT..

It should also be pointed out that Paypal and many other pay services keep a copy of your account info.. Apple Pay is very unique in that it doesn't need it.. Making it very secure from the 'hacked' account issue we've seen with retailers and online payment services.

Apple Pay:

• Place iPhone near terminal

• Put finger on Touch ID, Done

Seems Android has some catching up to do........

• Reply 15 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

Except it's less secure and inconvenient.. You have to 'load' your Google account with funds.. which is the first killer.. Can't just charge to an existing card... Second, you don't have a way to do it security from lock screen..

• Unlock phone

• Open Google Wallet

• Unlock Google Wallet

• Place Android Phone near terminal

• Load Google Wallet if not enough funds 'loaded into Google Wallet Account.

• if you have money in Google Wallet you can use it and you cannot charge directly to a CC/Debit Card.. must keep funds loaded.. hate that..

Apple Pay:

Incorrect. 

Android:

• Unlock phone (if it's not already)

• Place phone near terminal (doesn't even need to have the screen turned on)

I have a card pre-loaded to Wallet as a funding source, so purchases and refunds go through that card.

• Reply 16 of 181
    johnnash wrote: »

Yes. As long as the terminals are setup correctly. Apples biggest hurdle are retailers that don't setup their terminals correctly.
    zoffdino wrote: »
    You probably can't use Apple Pay there. They need a payment terminal that supports Apple Pay, along with supported cards.

Incorrect. Nothing special is required. Partnering with Apple just means that retailer is agreeing to setup their terminals correctly or install them if they don't alreqdy have them. The technology being used already exists. Apple isn't doing anything different other than making it loads easier.
  • Reply 17 of 181
    Incorrect. 

Android:
    • Unlock phone (if it's not already)
    • Place phone near terminal (doesn't even need to have the screen turned on)

I have a card pre-loaded to Wallet as a funding source, so purchases and refunds go through that card.

It doesn't matter. You like android, he likes apple. Grow up and move on with your lives.
  • Reply 18 of 181
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

That was my question as well. Quick Check, as an example, has the NFC logo on their terminals, but are not listed as a participating location. I assume, then, that it wouldn't work. Here's hoping that list expands quickly (come one Shell, Hess, Sunoco, & Shoprite).

• Reply 19 of 181
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

The thing that video doesn't show is 1: activating the Google wallet app, 2. Entering the PIN

Apple pay can be a single step, even though the AppleInsider video for some reason made it 2. You point your phone -- already with your thumb over touchid -- at the terminal.
  • Reply 20 of 181
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    adrayven wrote: »

• Unlock phone
    • Open Google Wallet
    • Unlock Google Wallet
    • Load Google Wallet if not enough funds 'loaded into Google Wallet Account. If you have money in Google Wallet you can use it and you cannot charge directly to a CC/Debit Card.. must keep funds loaded.. hate that..
    • Place Android Phone near terminal to complete

The process is klugey / clunky ... 

Apple Pay:

I believe you're a bit off base on how Google Wallet works.

Instead I think it's:
    - Open Google Wallet
    - Enter PIN
    - Tap and pay using already set-up CC like AMEX or whatever.

But yeah Apple has a more closed system so definitely better security for the processors and CC card companies. Touch ID is the difference maker.