IBM's first enterprise apps for iPad to launch next month as iPad reaches 90 percent tablet share in

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2014
Apple isn't just waiting around for iPad sales to pick up speed. In its earnings conference call with analysts, Apple's chief executive Tim Cook stated the first wave of IBM's Mobile First apps targeting businesses would arrive next month, while separately noting that iPad now accounted for 90 percent of U.S. tablets used in education.

Apple + IBM

"We forged a landmark partnership with IBM to provide a new generation of Mobile enterprise applications designed with our products' legendary ease of use and backed by IBM's cloud services and data analytics," Tim Cook stated in his prepared opening remarks.

"Our partnership aims to redefine the way work gets done, address key industry mobility challenges, and spark true mobile led business change. Developer teams have been working closely to develop the first wave of Mobile First solutions and these solutions will be ready for customers beginning next month, across six sectors: banking, government, insurance, retail, travel and transportation, and telecommunications."

In the same breath, Cook noted, "we've brought tremendous new talent and technology into Apple through 20 acquisitions in fiscal 2014, including seven in the September quarter." "Hundreds of corporations around the world have expressed interest in Mobile First solutions. We are actively working with over 50 of them to become foundation clients for Mobile First solutions in their industries." - Apple CFO Luca Maestri

Even before IBM's first Mobile First apps launch, Maestri noted that "we continue to see strong momentum in enterprise for iPad. Organizations around the world continue to deploy, manage and develop amazing in-house apps for iPad."

Maestri cited pharmaceuticals firm Sanofi, which he reported has over 25,000 iPads in use and over 450 in-house apps that it uses to sell products to doctors and healthcare providers.

He also noted premium eyewear designer Luxottica, which has deployed over 10,000 iPads for use in retail to help size and fit products for customers.

Maestri added that since the announcement of Apple's partnership with IBM, "hundreds of corporations around the world have expressed interest in Mobile First solutions. We are actively working with over 50 of them to become foundation clients for Mobile First solutions in their industries."

The number of registered enterprise developers was also reported to be up 39 percent year over year, nearly double the overall 20 percent growth rate among new third party developers that Apple reported for the year.

Apple narrowly beat analyst expectations of iPad sales (below) in the September quarter, prior to introducing its new iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 earlier this month.

Apple vs Wall Street Q4 2014

iPad & Macs in education

Maestri also stated that "iPad continues to lead the U.S. education tablet market with 90 percent share based on the latest data from IDC." In the September quarter, he noted that the St. Paul, MN school district had purchased over 22,000 iPad Airs and 5,000 iPad minis in the first phase of its "personalized learning through technology" plan that will ultimately equip each student with an iPad.

However, iPad sales aren't just replacing Macs, particularly in higher education. Maestri said that Mac were sales up 21 percent overall, with "double digit growth in most markets around the world" and particularly impressive performance in emerging markets," where Mac sales were up 46 percent.

"These results were truly remarkable given the retraction in the global PC market. We've now gained market share in 33 of the last 34 quarters."

Cook also noted that Macs had an "absolutely a blow away quarter," adding that "the back to school season voted and the Mac won. It carried the day. I'm really proud of that, and of the Mac team [...] Being up 21 percent in a market that is shrinking, it just doesn't get better than that."

IDC reported Mac estimates earlier this month that were more than 10 percent lower than Apple's actual Mac sales, and cited growth of just 8.9 percent (versus Apple's actual Mac growth of 21 percent).

iPad as a third platform

iPad appears to have achieved the "third platform" goal that Apple's Steve Jobs described for the new tablet almost five years ago. Rather than an unsustainable bubble of hyper-growth that Acer's netbooks achieved in 2009 at the painful expense of eating into conventional PC sales and profit margins, Apple's iPad has grown into a business larger in both units and revenues than the Mac (although in this quarter, Mac revenues exceeded those of iPad).

And rather than cannibalizing its Mac sales to achieve this, iPads appear to have helped Apple to expand its Mac sales via a halo effect, attracting new customers to OS X via iOS, a practice Apple is doubling down on with new Continuity features in its upcoming OS releases.

During the earnings call, Cook specifically cited Continuity as a feature that "only Apple" can deliver, making it more attractive for Apple customers to buy other products from the company as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 95
    Like I said, the market is nowhere near saturated. The market is far beyond consumers playing games.
  • Reply 2 of 95
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I'm sure it isn't as saturated as some analysts might have us believe. I'm hoping IBM's involvement will bring more advanced features to the iPad like network authentication, multiple user support, better multitasking, specifically being able to run more than one app at a time in the background and not just apps from Apple. I want to be able to open up a SSH terminal, start a program and than minimize the terminal without having the connection terminated until I choose too. I especially want to be able to run multiple music creation apps at once while playing sound, I.e. a beat machine, synthesizer, bass, distortion effects for my violins, etc. Display a movie through the HDMI dongle and still be able to use the tablet, just to name a few things I would like to be able to run in the background. All absolutely normal activities when I use either my Windows 8 or Android tablet, except I mostly use Miracast instead of the HDMI out for displaying videos. Am I asking for to much or are people satisfied with these limitations. I think it will be great to be able to finally run two apps side by side though, about time but still great never the less.

Talking about enterprise, I want to order a new keyboard case for my new iPad Air 2 and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with ClamCase.They look fantastic and are one of the first to have such a case available for the new iPad Air 2.

[IMG]http://lghttp.5654.nexcesscdn.net/8041F9/mage/skin/frontend/pro/ccipair/images/[email protected][/IMG]
    [IMG]http://lghttp.5654.nexcesscdn.net/8041F9/mage/skin/frontend/pro/ccipair/images/automagically/[email protected][/IMG]
  • Reply 3 of 95
    [@]Relic[/@] - nice looking case! I'd give it a try if i were you regardless of whether anyone chimes in a review or not.

Now about the rest of your "wishes" post. You and your family are so technologically fit that I have to place you in the "outlier" category. The things you do... and want to do more of... is just not on an "average" users radar. In fact it is the focused full-screen nature of using an iPad that have caused so many millions to gravitate to the platform.

Multitasking has always been great for people like yourself and many folks here and on assorted tech forums, but you really should observe how the average person uses a PC or even a Mac. It is so primitive*** as to wonder why Microsoft and Apple has had the success they they have had on desktops over the years. And witness: Microsoft is having a very hard time of staying relevant outside of the old enterprise systems the way it is.

I expect iPads to remain the way they are for some time to come, especially with enterprise now getting involved more deeply. In my experience, it has been the 40-60 year old sales people and executives that are the most primitive of users and the most difficult to train. They absolutely love iPads for the reason that you're giving why Apple should integrate more multitasking.

*** My description of "primitive usage": is a 27" monitor where everything including finder windows open to 100% full screen, and then closed (or quit in windows) every time a user moves to doing something else. Really... you don't know how many times within the last couple of years that I've shown people how to "minimize" a program or window, use drag and drop, or even Strg (Cmd) - Tab to cycle through windows or programs. Or how to change from icon view to detailed (list) view and sort columns by date rather than name. Many of these people have been on a desktop computer for no less than 12-15 years(!) and are successful business owners or sales executives in their 50's.
  • Reply 4 of 95
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    relic wrote: »
    I especially want to be able to run multiple music creation apps at once while playing sound, I.e. a beat machine, synthesizer, bass, distortion effects for my violins, etc.

Just to touch this one topic, why isn't there a music app that can do all these things, surely you can't be the only person wanting this. It sounds like it makes sense to want it; are the music apps you use limited in other areas as well?

Strg (Cmd) - Tab to cycle through windows or programs.

I keep clicking on the icons when doing an Alt-Tab on Windows and people call me stupid for trying that. Who's the stupid one there¿

As to your post, fully agree. Again.
  • Reply 5 of 95
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    We've had 3 quarters in a row of negative growth YOY. Some people say that just means iPad is more like the PC than smartphone in terms of replacement cycles. Yet Mac sales were the best ever this quarter without any new products having been released by Apple. Seems to me iPad is being canibalized by the iPhone and the Mac. Cook says he's fine with that. But how about doing something with iPad beyond making it thinner to help spur growth? How about a larger iPad that has digitizer support and side by side app multitasking? Apple has filed many pen based patent applications. When do we see them come to fruition? They've also filed many patent applications for different Smart Cover uses. We haven't seen any of those either. I think iPad is ripe for experimentation by Apple. The improvements we got with iPad Air 2 are great but not mind blowing. And I'm not talking about the chip technology (or Touch ID). The chip technology Apple is working on belongs in more than just a super thin iPad.
  • Reply 6 of 95
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I lost track of the story about an education department in CA that cancelled the order for iPads due to some internal politics. Anyone know waht is the status of that situation now? Please don't tell me they supplied the kids with third rate technology.
  • Reply 7 of 95
    relic wrote: »
    I'm sure it isn't as saturated as some analysts might have us believe. I'm hoping IBM's involvement will bring more advanced features to the iPad like network authentication, multiple user support, better multitasking, specifically being able to run more than one app at a time in the background and not just apps from Apple. I want to be able to open up a SSH terminal, start a program and than minimize the terminal without having the connection terminated until I choose too. I especially want to be able to run multiple music creation apps at once while playing sound, I.e. a beat machine, synthesizer, bass, distortion effects for my violins, etc. Display a movie through the HDMI dongle and still be able to use the tablet, just to name a few things I would like to be able to run in the background. All absolutely normal activities when I use either my Windows 8 or Android tablet, except I mostly use Miracast instead of the HDMI out for displaying videos. Am I asking for to much or are people satisfied with these limitations. I think it will be great to be able to finally run two apps side by side though, about time but still great never the less.

Talking about enterprise, I want to order a new keyboard case for my new iPad Air 2 and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with ClamCase.They look fantastic and are one of the first to have such a case available for the new iPad Air 2.

Wouldn't a Mac Book Air be far better suited for the uses you mention? Isn't the whole point to have two products both best in class rather than the MS approach of a merged product that's poor in both? If your 'absolutely normal tasks' are done so well on either your Windows 8 or Android tablet then surely you are a happy camper and don't need Apple to mess up their tablet.
  • Reply 8 of 95
    philboogie wrote: »
    Just to touch this one topic, why isn't there a music app that can do all these things, surely you can't be the only person wanting this. It sounds like it makes sense to want it; are the music apps you use limited in other areas as well?
    I keep clicking on the icons when doing an Alt-Tab on Windows and people call me stupid for trying that. Who's the stupid one there¿

As to your post, fully agree. Again.

Phil, have you really pushed the likes of Garageband or Midi Guitar on the iPad? I use Logic Pro X on Macs and the iPad ancillary app but I have used GB too and opened in Logic Pro X later. The potential for iPad in music is phenomenal, especially if we ever get a larger iPad Pro. I drool at the thought of virtual instruments on a really large iPad.

The thing is though (with regard to previous posters wish lists for iPads), you have to think different (ly). Those wanting to do things on an iPad the way they do them on a PC rather than embracing new paradigms remind me of those folks i first shows a Mac to. They were unable to stop arguing that the mouse got in the way and that they had far more control with a keyboard. That's exactly the same with people listing things they 'need' on the iPad, they are simply lists of things that are from the way they have always done it before. Granted programers have to step up to the plate and deliver but I am 100% confident Apple are on the right track not pandering to these lists of requirements from those stuck in the PC mode of thinking. Those are the exact same types of people who hated the GUI and mouse initially.
  • Reply 9 of 95
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Wouldn't a Mac Book Air be far better suited for the uses you mention? Isn't the whole point to have two products both best in class rather than the MS approach of a merged product that's poor in both?

Well, if you look at the posting history, Relic (by far the subtlest of all our trolls) seems to want iPads to become... Surfaces. :no:
  • Reply 10 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I want to be able to open up a SSH terminal, start a program and than minimize the terminal without having the connection terminated until I choose too. I especially want to be able to run multiple music creation apps at once while playing sound, I.e. a beat machine, synthesizer, bass, distortion effects for my violins, etc. 

I think you want a tablet that is not a tablet and likely don't "get it". I suggest you use a laptop as that is what you really want. MacBook Air would likely be your best choice.

• Reply 11 of 95
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    Well, if you look at the posting history, Relic (by far the subtlest of all our trolls) seems to want iPads to become... Surfaces. :no:

You know, I had not even noticed Relic (she I think isn't it?) was a troll, just seeing posts as very eccentric. I will take a closer look from now on, thanks for the heads up.
  • Reply 12 of 95
    Back on the IBM topic ... These latest iPad sales figures may seem a little down but I suspect sales to date could be the tip of an iceberg with respect to iPad adoption once the IBM connection starts up in full gear.
  • Reply 13 of 95
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

We've had 3 quarters in a row of negative growth YOY. Some people say that just means iPad is more like the PC than smartphone in terms of replacement cycles. Yet Mac sales were the best ever this quarter without any new products having been released by Apple. Seems to me iPad is being canibalized by the iPhone and the Mac. Cook says he's fine with that. But how about doing something with iPad beyond making it thinner to help spur growth? How about a larger iPad that has digitizer support and side by side app multitasking? Apple has filed many pen based patent applications. When do we see them come to fruition? They've also filed many patent applications for different Smart Cover uses. We haven't seen any of those either. I think iPad is ripe for experimentation by Apple. The improvements we got with iPad Air 2 are great but not mind blowing. And I'm not talking about the chip technology (or Touch ID). The chip technology Apple is working on belongs in more than just a super thin iPad.i

I see the signs in the last number of months that Apple is taking advancement of the iPad more seriously than before.  The IBM partnership is clearly one to help drive in the enterprise, where iPad and its mobility may help drive productivity, and thus become an important tool.  TouchID for security (multiple applications possible in consumer and enterprise, beyond ?Pay) is a key part of that.  Also, for the iPad Air 2, the A8X is bringing significant horsepower for apps that might need it.  Thin and (especially) light, along with the screen, are some of the most important attributes for a device which is meant to be held and touched.  Apple is investing more in this than any competitor.

While enterprise, and education, are important markets to grow unit growth and to expose people to the products, they are much smaller in unit potential than consumer.  So focus on consumer is still the "most" important in terms of growing overall unit growth.  Thus we see at a keynote the focus on consumer areas such as cameras, consumer apps, etc.

Now, I am with you in wanting additional capabilities, especially the ability to use a digitizer (like) device to be able to have fine grain control on the device (writing, drawing, diagram development).  Now that Apple has established that the primary and default input method is the finger, I believe they can safely add a digitizer/stylus type of input to increase the uses, as the iPad can work perfectly well without it - it is simply a way to make it better for some apps and use cases.  I think this will appeal to a wide audience (creatives, education, enterprise...)

If rumours are true (and there are many), then Apple is indeed working on a larger iPad, and it should hopefully be out next year.  Also, while the Mini 3 update is criticized (with some reason I agree), if you look at the lineup going into this holiday season and next year, it is the best in terms of both high end devices (Air 2), and breadth of price points.  A new iPad Mini starting at $250 will increase unit share, with I expect now limited impact on margins.  This is the same strategy that Apple has done this year with Macs, and we are seeing the benefits there.

Remember that iPad, as leading the modern tablet (3rd device) category, is still relatively new (4.5 years), and its uses and fit within the market are still being learnt by Apple and everyone else.  I am certainly giving Apple the benefit of the doubt, especially as with the iPad + Mac they are the (by far) largest computing device vendor.

• Reply 14 of 95
    Apple isn't just waiting around for iPad sales to pick up speed. In its earnings conference call with analysts, Apple's chief executive Tim Cook stated the first wave of IBM's Mobile First apps targeting businesses would arrive next month, while separately noting that iPad now accounted for 90 percent of U.S. tablets used in education.

"We forged a landmark <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/07/17/what-apple-inc-gets-from-its-new-ios-partnership-with-ibm">partnership</a> with IBM to provide a new generation of Mobile enterprise applications designed with our products' legendary ease of use and backed by IBM's cloud services and data analytics," Tim Cook stated in his prepared opening remarks.

I was quite pleased to see an AI article about "IBM's first enterprise apps for iPad to launch next month as iPad reaches 90 percent tablet share...".

I think the IBM partnership has great potential for both Apple and IBM -- and was minimalized (or overlooked) in most reports of the Apple earnings call.

"Our partnership aims to redefine the way work gets done, address key industry mobility challenges, and spark true mobile led business change. Developer teams have been working closely to develop the first wave of Mobile First solutions and these solutions will be ready for customers beginning next month, across six sectors: banking, government, insurance, retail, travel and transportation, and telecommunications."

Those are Apple/IBM only tentpoles (we used to call them flagships) in 6 major industries!

Maestri added that since the announcement of Apple's partnership with IBM, "hundreds of corporations around the world have expressed interest in Mobile First solutions. We are actively working with over 50 of them to become foundation clients for Mobile First solutions in their industries."

50+ additional major tentpoles/flagships being developed as we speak ... Health Care, Distribution, Media, Services, to name a few ...

The number of registered enterprise developers was also reported to be up 39 percent year over year, nearly double the overall 20 percent growth rate among new third party developers that Apple reported for the year.

And each one of those registered developers using Macs (and iPads) to write their apps ...

And rather than cannibalizing its Mac sales to achieve this, iPads appear to have helped Apple to expand its Mac sales via a halo effect, attracting new customers to OS X via iOS, a practice Apple is doubling down on with new <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/15/apple-watch-airdrop-ibeacon-continuity-coax-advanced-features-from-bluetooth-wifi">Continuity</a> features in its upcoming OS releases.

And the target customers of these "continuity" apps will not only buy iPads, but also desktop Macs and mobile Macs ... That looks like a 3fer for a lot of mobile first users -- an iPad, a MacBook and an iMac (or Mac Pro).

During the earnings call, Cook specifically cited Continuity as a feature that "only Apple" can deliver, making it more attractive for Apple customers to buy other products from the company as well.

To paraphrase the late Senator "Fritz" Hollings: "Day's a whole lotta' developing' goin' on out dare"

And, the elephant in the room is that most of that developing' is being done in Swift.
  • Reply 15 of 95
    Back on the IBM topic ... These latest iPad sales figures may seem a little down but I suspect sales to date could be the tip of an iceberg with respect to iPad adoption once the IBM connection starts up in full gear.

Back in my IBM days*, a derogatory joke was:

"If you dance with an 800 lb gorilla -- you stop when the gorilla gets tired"

I wonder what happens when an 800 lb gorilla dances with a 12,000 pound elephant ...

* for years IBM had 97% of the maimframe computer market.
  • Reply 16 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Wouldn't a Mac Book Air be far better suited for the uses you mention? Isn't the whole point to have two products both best in class rather than the MS approach of a merged product that's poor in both? If your 'absolutely normal tasks' are done so well on either your Windows 8 or Android tablet then surely you are a happy camper and don't need Apple to mess up their tablet.

Except that you are now shrinking the market for the iPad... moving a person from an iPad to a MBA.

I thought the whole idea was to have the iPad do more to increase its market.

• Reply 17 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aderutter View Post

I think you want a tablet that is not a tablet and likely don't "get it". I suggest you use a laptop as that is what you really want. MacBook Air would likely be your best choice.

She doesn't get it? 

The suggestion she was a troll was funny, but that is just totally missing the point she was making. 

• Reply 18 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You know, I had not even noticed Relic (she I think isn't it?) was a troll, just seeing posts as very eccentric. I will take a closer look from now on, thanks for the heads up.

She's not a troll. Just a very well educated technophile.

• Reply 19 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Except that you are now shrinking the market for the iPad... moving a person from an iPad to an MBA.

Indeed. The better option, money allowing, is Mac Pro + iPad with Logic Remote (or equivalent), but the ability to keep a SSH connection running in the background. I believed that iSSH had that ability though?

• Reply 20 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

And, the elephant in the room is that most of that developing' is being done in Swift.

Also, latest Xcode update brought Swift support to Mac apps for everyone, not just Beta-testers ^^