Apple spent $1M on lobbying US government in Q3, focused on health, data privacy, more

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2014
According to a recently filed disclosure, Apple spent a little over $1 million over the third quarter on lobbying issues like consumer health data, safe driving, e-books and data privacy, among others.

cookface

For the quarter ended Sept. 30, 2014, Apple spent a total of $1,010,000 on a variety of lobbying activities, the company reported in a government disclosure filed on Monday. Apple's contributions are on the low end of a quickly rising industry standard fueled by aggressive solicitation from the likes of Google and other major tech companies.

In all, Apple's money addressed 39 specific lobbying issues, including those tied to existing and future products like e-book publishing, online safety, copyright and patent reform, safe driving (CarPlay) and regulation of mobile medical devices and health software applications (Apple Watch and HealthKit). The company also lobbied for IP infringement, ITC litigation reform and other issues pertaining to legal proceedings.

Continuing its push for consumer privacy, Apple lobbied for change in government requests for data, a hot button topic in recent months. International trade issues were also of concern. Finally, Apple pushed for corporate tax reform and international tax reform, both topics affecting its offshore cash hoard.

As noted by Computerworld, Apple's $1 million lobbying fund is small compared to fellow tech giants Google and Facebook, which spent $3.94 million and $2.54 million over the same three-month period, respectively. Other industry players included Verizon with $2.91 million, Microsoft at $1.66 million and Amazon with $1.18 million.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21

God bless American[s]

• Reply 2 of 21
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    That is an extremely small lobby budget considering the size of apple
  • Reply 3 of 21
    blazar wrote: »

I did the numbers yesterday. Apple makes about $500 million in revenue per day. In short, it took them three minutes to make the money for lobbying.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    This pales in comparison to the oil & gas industry. Or the gun lobby, or Wall St.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

That's probably less than Samsung paid for the hookers.

• Reply 6 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I hate that politics is about money in the USA (and everywhere else too) but if you can't beat them join them. I'd rather a white knight bought in that the likes of a Korean Government proxy.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    dsd wrote: »

LOL
  • Reply 8 of 21
    I did the numbers yesterday. Apple makes about $500 million in revenue per day. In short, it took them three minutes to make the money for lobbying.

Good to know.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    chandra69 wrote: »
    God bless American

Please list the countries where 'governments' are not bought and paid for. I wish there were some but ....
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dsd View Post

It's probably less than the Washington politicians paid for hookers. 

• Reply 11 of 21

They might want to consider installing their own Congressperson to avoid getting railroaded by Washington again. After all, the former patent attorney for Google now heads the US patents office (um, yeah...no conflict of interest there).

• Reply 12 of 21
    They might want to consider installing their own Congressperson to avoid getting railroaded by Washington again. After all, the former patent attorney for Google now heads the US patents office (um, yeah...no conflict of interest there).

OMG!
  • Reply 13 of 21
    What exactly is the implication of that $1 million for us investors?
  • Reply 14 of 21
  • Reply 15 of 21

Actually after reading that I am not so worried. No reason to think she will be biased towards Google in her new job. If she can reign in the patent trolls that's good. I assume they will have to close some courts in east Texas to do that. :D
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yeah, that's pretty scary, right there. Although, part of the the USPTO's problem is that they are so far behind in understanding tech. Hopefully having an EE and CS badass heading things up will help. The conflict of interest is frustrating, but I'm not sure how one would find similar qualifications without a similar conflict.

Regarding the amount spent on lobbying, I'm really surprised it's that low. I despise the system as well, but that's the way the game is played.

• Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

This pales in comparison to the oil & gas industry. Or the gun lobby, or Wall St.

Or Google?

• Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post

Or Google?

Yep. https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/clientsum.php?id=D000022008

• Reply 19 of 21
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    blazar wrote: »

Seriously, that's an insane figure.
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but I can't help but think Apple may well experience some pushback making that per day. In most people's eyes it's almost immoral. They will not see a company at the top of their game, making 'just' profits. No, I suspect they are trying their utmost to cut Apple down to size.
    I think it's going to get much more expensive.
    That aside, paying your government official via intermediary lobby groups, to get your side of the story chosen in order to gain influence.....is indefensible, by either side. :\
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frac View Post

Seriously, that's an insane figure.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I can't help but think Apple may well experience some pushback making that per day. In most people's eyes it's almost immoral. They will not see a company at the top of their game, making 'just' profits. No, I suspect they are trying their utmost to cut Apple down to size.

I think it's going to get much more expensive.

Well, given the current administration's hostility towards entrepreneurial success ("immoral" they might say), yes, I can see Apple becoming a target.

Of course given the trajectory we're headed, Apple may one day become a State-owned property.  :(