Rumor: Apple Pay loyalty program could launch in time for Christmas

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014
With the Apple Pay launch complete in the U.S., Apple may now turn its sights toward launching a new store loyalty rewards program in time for the lucrative holiday shopping season.

Citing unnamed sources, Bank Innovation reported on Tuesday that Apple appears on track to debut its loyalty program before the end of 2014. It was originally thought that Apple would introduce this feature next year, but "market demand" is said to have accelerated the plans for launch.

The loyalty system is expected to use Apple's iBeacon technology, which can deliver targeted location-based content to iPhone users through a combination of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. Using iBeacon will allow Apple to provide more data to users than a near-field communication connection, which is used to initiate Apple Pay at supporting kiosks.

Apple's loyalty program would reportedly be tied to the Apple Pay system, making exclusive offers or discounts to users in exchange for using their iPhone to make a payment.

In one example, a user at a store might receive an push notification via the store's app, initiated over iBeacon, informing them that an item is available for buy one, get one free. The shopper could then go to checkout with the items and earn the reward by using Apple Pay.

Retailers reportedly view Apple's rumored rewards system as a great opportunity, allowing them to market consumers while also helping to drive both consumer and retail adoption of NFC-based e-wallet systems, Apple or otherwise.

Apple Pay was unveiled last month, but officially launched on Monday with the release of iOS 8.1. Its retail tap-to-pay functionality is exclusive to the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, but will expand to the Apple Watch when it debuts early next year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    i thought this would be more like you earn rewards by spending, like credit card reward programs.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    If only my bank supported Apple Pay. Oh well.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Does Apple really want to get involved with this obvious increase in credit card debt?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    cash907 wrote: »

Hopefully Apple will open their own so you can deposit all your moneys in it like PayPal?
  • Reply 5 of 17

I figured the loyalty program would be the next logical step, and it will enable the requisite collection of consumer data.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Don't you just use a MasterCard, Visa, Discover, or AMEX?

• Reply 6 of 17
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Does Apple really want to get involved with this obvious increase in credit card debt?

Since when is it Apple’s responsibility to keep complete idiots from spen–

Oh, it’s you. Go away forever.

• Reply 7 of 17
    pazuzu wrote: »

Since when is it Apple’s responsibility to keep complete idiots from spen–

Oh, it’s you. Go away forever.

I wouldn't dismiss his concern about growing personal debt, however I would also concur that it is no ones responsibility but the individual accruing the debt.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    I bank with M&T Bank and just recently opened an account with Suntrust. M&T said In a few months I can add my cards to Apple Pay. Not sure about Suntrust.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Last line in the story, did I miss something or did they gloss over saying the watch has Touch ID?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Yeah, how will Touch ID Apple Pay be implemented on Apple Watches?
  • Reply 11 of 17
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PopinFRESH View Post

I wouldn't dismiss his concern about growing personal debt, however I would also concur that it is no ones responsibility but the individual accruing the debt.

my apple pay credit card is a visa check card -- no debt, so completely invalidating the troll's attempt at trolling yet another thread w/ his troll-spew.

• Reply 12 of 17
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

its been written about. its bonded to your phone until you take it off.

• Reply 13 of 17
    multimedia wrote: »

White gloves.

They attach by cable to the watch and have a fingerprint sensor embedded; all the info is on the Apple website.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Funny, where I grew up, we called it a Blue Light Special.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

my apple pay credit card is a visa check card -- no debt, so completely invalidating the troll's attempt at trolling yet another thread w/ his troll-spew.

I can't tell if you are calling pazuzu, Tallest Skil, or myself a troll. Judging by the first part of your statement I'm taking a guess that you mean pazuzu. If so, as I mentioned to Tallest Skil, I wouldn't discount the concern simply because pazuzu is unable to place the burden where it belongs; squarely on the shoulders of those choosing to live beyond their means. What pazuzu fails to realize is it's not Apples place to be your financial decision maker. There are fiscally responsible individuals who live within their means, and we shouldn't expect Apple to forgo improving our experiences simply because others can't control their own spending. If ApplePay didn't exist, those individuals would still be out swiping the cards they would be linking with ApplePay as they have been prior to it's announcement.

-PopinFRESH

• Reply 16 of 17
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    popinfresh wrote: »

I can't tell if you are calling pazuzu, Tallest Skil, or myself a troll. Judging by the first part of your statement I'm taking a guess that you mean pazuzu. If so, as I mentioned to Tallest Skil, I wouldn't discount the concern simply because pazuzu is unable to place the burden where it belongs; squarely on the shoulders of those choosing to live beyond their means. What pazuzu fails to realize is it's not Apples place to be your financial decision maker. There are fiscally responsible individuals who live within their means, and we shouldn't expect Apple to forgo improving our experiences simply because others can't control their own spending. If ApplePay didn't exist, those individuals would still be out swiping the cards they would be linking with ApplePay as they have been prior to it's announcement.

-PopinFRESH

My money's on [@]pazuzu[/@]
  • Reply 17 of 17
    pjhlpjhl Posts: 1member

I believe that the watch will provide the Secure Element, which contains the tokens.  You will be able to pair it with your phone (I am guessing via Bluetooth), and in doing so, enable ApplePay on older phones like 5 and 5s, which have TouchID, but no Secure Element.