Who has the money to buy who?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Okay, with all the buyout rumors, could someone like make a list in order of what companies can buy who, like who has the most money. Like:

Company A

Company B

Company C

That would mean A can buy out B or C and B could buy out C.

Here is what I think, but it is probably wrong.

0 Disney (i just threw them in because of their rumors of buying Apple)

1. AOL/time-warner

2. IBM

3. Microsoft

4. Intel

5. Dell

6. AMD

7. Apple

8. Adobe

9. Macromedia

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    *bump.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    It's "whom."

Put AOL over MS, MS over IBM, IBM over Intel, Intel over Disney, Disney over Adobe, Adobe over Apple, and throw Sony at the top of the list with RJR Nabisco, GE and Viacom.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    So basically, switch MS and IBM. I thought Disney had way mroe money. So Adobe could buy Apple, not Apple buy Adobe? I was just basically looking to see what the biggest companies are out there.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I'm kinda kidding around, though I don't think that Disney has much cash lying around. They're really up-and-down and have been down for a while. I had the impression that IBM and others (Sun, etc.) had more in the bank, more investments but it just isn't as apparent as someone like disney whose products are almost strictly consumer-oriented. (Consumer=high mindshare, high volume, low rmargin, enterprise and back-end=high margin, low volume, "no" mindshare.) The real players over these guys are Viacom, AOL and GE -- the media giants.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Companies don't buy other companies with "cash." More likely it's a transaction of stock or some other kind of equity. AOL didn't show up with several thousand briefcases full of $100 bills when they bought Netscape for example.

By the way, IBM is in the top 10 on the Fortune 500 and Microsoft is somewhere down in the bottom 1/2 of the top 100. Ergo, IBM could more easily by Microsoft than vice versa.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Yeah, I didn't mean with cash, I mean wich company is bigger and who could buy who? Could Intel buy Microsoft, or the other way around?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    [quote]Yeah, I don't mean with cash, I mean wich company is bigger and who could buy who? Could Intel buy Microsoft, or the other way around?<hr></blockquote>

INTC's m.c according to CNNfn: ~$218.3 B

MSFT's m.c according to CNNfn: ~$328.4 B

Numbers rounded to nearest tenth of a billion.

[ 02-18-2002: Message edited by: TheAlmightyBabaramm ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 11
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Nevermind.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Billy:

1. AOL/time-warner

2. IBM

3. Microsoft

4. Intel

5. Dell

6. AMD

7. Apple

8. Adobe

9. Macromedia<hr></blockquote>

I think you need to add Gateway to the list. Their latest cow-n-geek commercials are signs of a wounded and desperate animal.They're bleeding with no end in sight, and have only retail consumer presence. And they have all of those STORES......
  • Reply 10 of 11
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    GE merges with IBM, IBM buys Apple after Apple buys the PPC assests. The GE/IBM merges with earthlink, and buys DirectTV and Hughes electronics. Then GE/IBM merges with P&G, and merges with General Motors. Then Apple/IBM/GE/PG/GM/Hughes/Earthlink rename themselves to "The General Corperation" motto "We own you".

And of course I would be CEO of the new company
  • Reply 11 of 11
    If you wanna see which company is bigger than another, you can lookup its Market Capitalization (market cap, m cap, m.c.) at virtually any online stock quote type site (quotes.fool.com, finance.yahoo.com, ...). Lookup up the companies ticker symbols (apple = AAPL, ibm= IBM, microcrap = MSFT, ge = GE, some of em aren't that easy tho). you can then line up all their mk caps, and see who is biggest. i think ms and ge are like the 2 largest companies in terms of m cap. apple isn't on that level at all, but is a fairly large corporation.

note: m cap doesn't necessarily correlate to buying power. it's one of many ways to measure a company's size.