Apple planning to bring Apple Pay support to iAd with new buy buttons - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014
Tap-to-buy quick purchasing buttons with support for Apple Pay may be coming to Apple's iAd mobile advertising network as soon as this fall, according to a new report.

The new buy buttons would be embedded in mobile ads, and users would be able to quickly authenticate their purchase with the Apple Pay system, according to DigiDay, which cited unnamed sources. Apple already offers Apple Pay purchasing through its own and third-party iOS applications, utilizing the Touch ID fingerprint sensor and credit cards saved in Passbook to quickly complete transactions.

But with iAd support, Apple could offer advertisers a new way to generate revenue. The Apple Pay-based buy button for iAd will reportedly launch before the end of the year, allowing advertisers to take advantage of the holiday shopping season.

DigiDay noted that Apple Pay buy buttons could be paired wit a new "retargeting" feature for iAd found in iOS 8. This allows marketers to retarget users who may get cold feet or become distracted before completing a purchase -- if the user abandons their shopping cart, the retailer could retarget them with a mobile buy button ad.

Online digital shopping purchases with Apple Pay are possible on the Touch ID fingerprint sensors on the new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, as well as the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3. The other key component of Apple Pay, tap-to-pay point-of-sale purchase authorization, is exclusive to the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, utilizing the near-field communications chips in those devices.

The company is also rumored to be working on a new royalty program for launch this fall, integrating Apple's iBeacon technology to deliver targeted ads and incentivize users making purchases through Apple Pay. Third-party partners like MasterCard are already offering their own promotions, with the credit card company spotlighting Apple Pay through a contest and series of ads.

Apple has been gradually expanding its iAd service since it first launched in 2010, adding features, expanding availability, and lowering buy-in prices for advertisers. The company has been making efforts to tie it in to other services on the iPhone as well, such as allowing advertisers to include "Add to Passbook" buttons for coupons.

Earlier this year, Apple expanded iAd to include pre-roll video and full-screen interstitial banner ad options for iOS apps. International availability of iAd has also continued to grow.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Don't want.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    S#** just got real:

Amazon to support ?Pay for Amazon rewards card. Writing on the wall.
  • Reply 3 of 22

Can't wait to see what crap panzuzu slings this time.

I would welcome this feature. There are always times I forgot to clip a coupon or there was a coupon I could have used that I didn't know about until after I bought something.

• Reply 4 of 22
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

I hope small web merchants one day can open an account with Apple and aPay will be an available feature on normal web e-commerce sites. Is there a reason this can not be done?

• Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Don't want.

Thanks for your in depth commentary on the subject

If I'm shopping for something I want then, great, Apple Pay is the shiz. 

But to get pop-up iAd ads with an Apple Pay button, where the Touch ID and *back* button are the same piece of hardware?  No, this is a terrible idea.  I can't help but hope this is the merely the lunatic ravings of some marketing "Einstein" at DigiDay, and not an actual idea out of Cupertino.

• Reply 6 of 22
    john.b wrote: »
    But to get pop-up iAd ads with an Apple Pay button, where the Touch ID and *back* button are the same piece of hardware?  No, this is a terrible idea. 

...and just imagine the invasion of apps with tap-to-pay ads.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    bradipao wrote: »

And all the 'retargeting'
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bradipao View Post

Ugh, I'm sure the advertisers want this, but I would hope Tim Cook and company wouldn't be that tonedeaf.

• Reply 9 of 22

This is going to be huge for Apple. I wrote a piece on my blog months ago about how I believe Apple is also going to change Radio. In part of the piece I explained how through iTunes Radio/Carplay Apple could implement interactive ads that could be saved for later viewing or be interacted with on the spot, during the live stream of a radio show. This is in opposition to current radio which just goes to a "dumb" commercial break. This seems to be a move that could eventually lead in that direction. Imagine the implications of radio shows and advertisers to be able to have "smart" commercial breaks in which people can actually interact with the ads that they hear while listening to the radio, if they hear something they like. 

• Reply 10 of 22

It's amazing how these pieces all fit together for Apple like a puzzle.

• Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

This is going to be huge for Apple. I wrote a piece on my blog months ago about how I believe Apple is also going to change Radio. In part of the piece I explained how through iTunes Radio/Carplay Apple could implement interactive ads that could be saved for later viewing or be interacted with on the spot, during the live stream of a radio show. This is in opposition to current radio which just goes to a "dumb" commercial break. This seems to be a move that could eventually lead in that direction. Imagine the implications of radio shows and advertisers to be able to have "smart" commercial breaks in which people can actually interact with the ads that they hear while listening to the radio, if they hear something they like. 

iTunes Radio already has a "Buy" button, and saves your song history so you can easily go back to iTunes and buy any of those songs, if you so choose.

IMO, the saving grace of iTunes Match is getting commercial-free iTunes Radio, and was the reason I used to subscribe to Pandora.  It's also why I DVR literally ***everything*** I watch, so I can skip through commercials.

"Interact with ads" my ass.  Nobody wants that except marketing guys.

• Reply 12 of 22
    john.b wrote: »
    If I'm shopping for something I want then, great, Apple Pay is the shiz. 

But to get pop-up iAd ads with an Apple Pay button, where the Touch ID and *back* button are the same piece of hardware?  No, this is a terrible idea.  I can't help but hope this is the merely the lunatic ravings of some marketing "Einstein" at DigiDay, and not an actual idea out of Cupertino.

I'm sure there's 3 steps to get there.

Tap on ad, tap "?Pay" and then place finger on sensor.

If you accidentally buy something like that then you're extremely clumsy.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    sog35 wrote: »
    If I was Google I would be quaking in my boots right now.

Its painfully obvious that its Apple not Google that knows how to integrate advertising on a mobile platform.

Why? No one will use it (especially anyone here) because first they don't like being tracked for targeted ads, and secondly they don't like their personal data being collected for a user profile.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    i would like to implement a carplay feature where you can control your songs with your steering wheel.

swerve right to go to the next song
    swerve left to go to the previous song
    honk to pause/play
    drive randomly between lanes to shuffle songs.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schlack View Post

i would like to implement a carplay feature where you can control your songs with your steering wheel.

swerve right to go to the next song

swerve left to go to the previous song

honk to pause/play

drive randomly between lanes to shuffle songs.

Awesome. They should have that on the iWatch, too, for listening in crowded paces.

Smack the person to you right to go to the next song

Smack the person to you left to go to the previous song

Punch the person in front of you to pause/play

Smack randomly to shuffle songs.

• Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

If I was Google I would be quaking in my boots right now.

Its painfully obvious that its Apple not Google that knows how to integrate advertising on a mobile platform.

Apple isn't going to challenge in the ad game until they start collecting data. Advertisers prefer to know that they're hitting their target demographic. If an advertisers target demo has no more depth than "Apple customer," then it's pretty easy, but my 9-year-old son and 75-year-old mother-in-law are both Apple customers, and the only other product they share an interest in would be waffles.

• Reply 17 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Apple isn't going to challenge in the ad game until they start collecting data. Advertisers prefer to know that they're hitting their target demographic. If an advertisers target demo has no more depth than "Apple customer," then it's pretty easy, but my 9-year-old son and 75-year-old mother-in-law are both Apple customers, and the only other product they share an interest in would be waffles.

In iOS 8 Apple added additional user tracking capabilities to assist advertisers, so they've started down the slope. The old "if you're not the customer you're the product" meme is going to have a very short shelf life.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Why? No one will use it (especially anyone here) because first they don't like being tracked for targeted ads, and secondly they don't like their personal data being collected for a user profile.

I certainly am not a fan of advertising, have never (intentionally) selected an in-app ad, and have never seen a specific iAd.  Most of my apps I either pay for, or the app is an extension of a service and isn't advertising supported.  That being said, clearly significant amount of content and services are ad-supported, and that clearly "many people" are seeing & interacting with the ads, otherwise most commercial television and the web would't exist.  There is significant (and growing) $$ in mobile advertising.

So, if Apple is able to offer a differentiator to other mobile advertising platforms (such as a simpler method of payment), then that is good for both Apple, the app developers, and the advertisers who are paying on behalf of their clients.  If we have to have ads, more meaningful ones are better, no?  Apple has been the best of all companies in terms of limiting access to customer data, asking for permission, etc.  Not perfect, but the best best behaved IMO.  Try searching for something on almost any online store and watch the advertisements follow your searches across different sites.

Back to the question of Google - we can't know if this will have material impact or not.  Will Apple be able to make iAd meaningful in the space?  There hasn't been any indication of much success yet.  If iAd does make a breakthrough though, Google has the most to lose.  Perhaps ?Pay is the feature that Apple uses in a renewed iAd focus.

• Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

iTunes Radio already has a "Buy" button, and saves your song history so you can easily go back to iTunes and buy any of those songs, if you so choose.

IMO, the saving grace of iTunes Match is getting commercial-free iTunes Radio, and was the reason I used to subscribe to Pandora.  It's also why I DVR literally ***everything*** I watch, so I can skip through commercials.

"Interact with ads" my ass.  Nobody wants that except marketing guys.

I'm not talking about having the ability to buy music through iTunes Radio, I know that you can do that. I'm talking about radio itself progressing from AM/FM and satellite, to cars having internet either built-in or through iPhones and Carplay, and internet becoming the medium for radio in the car. You're only thinking about music, but what i'm talking about also includes talk radio shows like Howard Stern, Mike & Mike, Sway, as well as Podcaster like Dan Benjamin. There are a ton of tech podcasts that I listen to in which the hosts read their own ads, but the difference is that their sponsors are techie companies with things that i'm actually into. There have been plenty of instances in which I've heard of a great product that I've bought, or subscribed to that I had never heard of before. It's because they cater to their type of audience, which are techies.

And I completely disagree with you that "nobody" wants ads. I would say that nobody wants a slew of ads that mean absolutely nothing to them because none of those products interest them. That's my point, with "smart" interactive ads, a radio show can cater to their audience because they can have real time data of what types of things people are into. The ads can be unobtrusive to the point that the host doesn't even have to "go to" commercial break. It can be as simple as a host saying a few things about the company while something flashes on your screen that allows you to further investigate it if you wish. That company itself can then have pre-made spiels about their product upon you clicking through to learn about it, or if you're driving you can even just "bookmark" it for later. That would be a much better model for users and advertisers alike. I could see myself actually finding value in that type of advertising. 

• Reply 20 of 22

I like people like you. Creative and forward-thinking.

But be careful, others don't like people like you and good creative ideas are not welcome online.