AppleInsider 2.0 for iPhone and iPad now available as free downloads from Apple's App Store

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2015
AppleInsider today is pleased to announce the release of a major update to its universal iOS application on the App Store, delivering a fresh new look, unified subscription features across the iPhone and iPad, favorites, advance font preferences, offline reading, Instapaper support and more.

Free for All

AppleInsider 2.0 is now available as a free download on Apple's iOS App Store for both iPhone and iPad.

As part of the update, the iPhone edition has been redesigned from the ground up with a navigational element that provides access to all the same content areas originally found on AppleInsider for the desktop. Meanwhile, an ad-supported version of the iPad app is now available as a free application to all non-subscribers year-round. The incredibly gifted crew over at our digital design shop Crafted -- who are responsible for bringing these apps to life -- also wrapped both apps in a fresh new user interface inspired by the elegance of Apple's iOS 8.

Both updates also boast a new "Font Panel," allowing users to tailor the size and weight of text in articles to their personal reading preference. Of course they also include previously existing features such as one-touch social sharing, push notifications for breaking news items, and a multi-touch user experience that allows for swiping between articles in both landscape and portrait modes on iPad.

Exclusively for Subscribers

While all users can download and the new apps to enjoy AppleInsider's news, reviews and expert commentary, we're also thrilled to be rolling out a handful of new features that are exclusive for our subscribers. Among them are:
  • Unified Subscriptions: Subscribers can now access all of the features of the iPad application on their iPhones and vice versa.
  • Favorites: Tap the heart icon in the upper right corner of any article to save it to your "Favorites" list on all of your devices (syncing requires that you're logged into iCloud).
  • Offline Reading: No bars? No problem. Whether you're heading towards a train tunnel or out into the wilderness, just toggle into Offline Reading mode ahead of time to continue reading the day's news -- or articles in your 'Favorites' list -- all without a data connection.
  • Instapaper and Pocket: We've included third-party save support for both Instapaper and Pocket subscribers.
  • Uninterrupted Browsing: It's nothing but pure content with our ads-free browsing experience.

Of course, all of the same content remains available to readers via our traditional website, as well as our mobile-friendly version accessible via Safari on the iPhone. And you can continue to follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, our Newsletter and via RSS. However you access our content, we thank you for reading.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Free with Ads of course....

• Reply 2 of 65
    Really? No iPhone 6 update?
  • Reply 3 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Is it free?  I got this message that I have to pay to subscript after a while.  Since I have AppleInsider open in Safari all the times I was wondering what's the point of subscription.....

• Reply 4 of 65
    [duplicate]
  • Reply 5 of 65
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Isn't that roughly every website? I think that something like a $2.99 initial price for no ads ever would get people to use it far more on mobile. That'd offer cost benefit to just going through Safari. At least until iOS can handle extensions... 

• Reply 6 of 65
    Looks great on my iPhone 6.
  • Reply 7 of 65
    macxpress wrote: »

That's what they mean by "ads free": the ads are free! ;)
  • Reply 8 of 65

Give me the ads, just don't make me pay to use the site on a mobile app when using it through the browser is free.

• Reply 9 of 65
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    If you can't pinch to zoom what good is it?
  • Reply 10 of 65
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Isn't that roughly every website? I think that something like a $2.99 initial price for no ads ever would get people to use it far more on mobile. That'd offer cost benefit to just going through Safari. At least until iOS can handle extensions... 

I'm not paying for shitty written articles that sometimes don't have anything to do with Apple itself. 

• Reply 11 of 65

Sorry... I prefer the old app, for the following reasons:

• Looked better on iPhone 6 Plus

• Less clunky design

• Less nagging to buy subscriptions for features that are hardly worth the money. $8.99 for a year for what seems to only be a mild effort at filtering and offline reading? Nah...

• Content, albeit well written some of the time, simply isn't unique enough to be worth paying for. You get income from ads. Leave it at that.

Also, the iPhone 6 Plus is capable of landscape mode reading - i.e. like a small iPad. Did nobody think that was a good idea? You're an Apple site... your developers should get with the times!

• Reply 12 of 65
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Finally!
  • Reply 13 of 65
    Really annoyed it has no iPhone 6 support!!! Looks massive on it, get with the program!!
  • Reply 14 of 65

Starting the previous update and continuing now, when I view comments the fonts become very small and unreadable on my iPhone 5.  If I pinch/zoom to make it readable only a small part of the width is visible.  Just reading the articles is fine (great font size), but disappointed to only be able to read comments on my Mac...  Is there any way to prevent comment section from being too small on iPhone?  I don't see anything in settings that helps.

• Reply 15 of 65
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    Why do I have to scroll through the whole article to get to comments when I click on comments. I was hoping this would be fixed.
    Other than that it's exactly the same? Apart from a darker menu and some minor tweaks that are not carried through to comments. An incomplete update.
  • Reply 16 of 65

there is no support for iPhone 6 or 6 Plus. I would have expected this. who cares if it has iOS 8 support if it doesnt utilize the iPhone 6 extra screen size. and plus wide screen mode is a must too.

• Reply 17 of 65
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zaba View Post

Why do I have to scroll through the whole article to get to comments when I click on comments. I was hoping this would be fixed.

Other than that it's exactly the same? Apart from a darker menu and some minor tweaks that are not carried through to comments. An incomplete update.

This is a very annoying quirk. An why not have navigation controls at the top of each comment page while we're at it?

• Reply 18 of 65

Where's the Android app for this?

• Reply 19 of 65
    The new style is nice but if I want to read comments I still have to scroll all the way through the article which I've just read! This is because the webversion of the article is loaded, I find this really cumbersome. Why not just load the comments at the bottom of the article from the AppleInsider database? How hard can that be to implement?
  • Reply 20 of 65
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Still no landscape mode on iphone and tiny home screen fonts that are fixed in size, no way to increase them. Update is fine but you left out some of the basics.