Apple CEO Tim Cook visits Foxconn iPhone factory on China 'road trip'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 98
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

My bike racing teammate and daily training partner recently visited a Foxconn factory for a week. He said it was pretty amazing. They have everything... to the point of being creepy. The factory is huge, like 200K people, and it's actually a city. Foxconn owns the hospital, the apartment complexes, the mall, the restaurants, everything. Many live there and spend their day-to-day lives in that city, earning and spending all of their money there. Foxconn profits off of the work they do, then off of every penny they spend in the city.

I've seen this in China. Yes, they live 8-to-a-dorm room and stay on-site. I think Foxconn's size is the exception, if they have malls and multiple restaurants. The ones I've seen just have a dozen or so dorm buildings and cafeterias. The housing is offered so cheaply to the workers that the majority live there. Many workers are from rural areas, so traveling back home (by train) takes half a day or more, so they only go home during holidays. It's not a great living, but the pay is much higher (and steadier) than on the farms.

• Reply 22 of 98
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Such baloney and a non issue that Foxconn decided to put up nets to keep people from jumping, right?

It's obviously not good publicity, so that's understandable. 

There are many people around who are likely to be duped by bogus, exaggerated stories, such as bend-gate, suicide-gate etc.

Like I said, a non-issue.

• Reply 23 of 98
    apple ][ wrote: »
    It's obviously not good publicity, so that's understandable. 

There are many people around who are likely to be duped by bogus, exaggerated stories, such as bend-gate, suicide-gate etc.

Like I said, a non-issue.

You haven't heard the latest one, a guy's iPhone 6 caught fire in his pocket, he's demanding an explanation from Apple despite the fact that they replaced his phone.

Oh, and he damaged it first by smashing it into a bar and puncturing the battery. But he really wants to know why it caught fire, because evidently he didn't pay attention in chemistry class. I expect that to go viral by tomorrow, I already posted about it on my Facebook feed to counter the FUD.
  • Reply 24 of 98
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

You haven't heard the latest one, a guy's iPhone 6 caught fire in his pocket, he's demanding an explanation from Apple despite the fact that they replaced his phone.

Oh, and he damaged it first by smashing it into a bar and puncturing the battery. But he really wants to know why it caught fire, because evidently he didn't pay attention in chemistry class. I expect that to go viral by tomorrow, I already posted about it on my Facebook feed to counter the FUD.

That guy sounds like a real genius.

And if what you wrote in your second paragraph is actually true, then Apple should not have replaced his phone. They should have told him to take a hike.

People are seriously getting dumber and dumber. Apple makes the best devices around, but they're not indestructible! If somebody is intent on breaking their iPhone, then they likely will succeed. What morons.

• Reply 25 of 98
    apple ][ wrote: »

And if what you wrote in your second paragraph is actually true, then Apple should not have replaced his phone. They should have told him to take a hike.

People are seriously getting dumber and dumber. Apple makes the best devices around, but they're not indestructible! If somebody is intent on breaking their iPhone, then they likely will succeed. What morons.

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/story/26852659/iphone-6-catches-fire-causes-2nd-degree-burns-on-phoenix-mans-leg

I actually hadn't read the original article, evidently he realizes why and still doesn't get why it happened? Ia he serious?
  • Reply 26 of 98
    Quote:

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/story/26852659/iphone-6-catches-fire-causes-2nd-degree-burns-on-phoenix-mans-leg

I actually hadn't read the original article, evidently he realizes why and still doesn't get why it happened? Ia he serious?

It sounds like the solution to the guy's problem is not to ride any rickshaws any more and especially don't be on a rickshaw that tips over and don't get into any rickshaw accidents and he and his phone should be fine.

This whole thing sounds like a damn joke.

• Reply 27 of 98
    roakeroake Posts: 821member
    Quote:

And people here wonder why Apple gets mentioned when Foxconn makes the news for treating their workers like crap.  Associating yourself with a sweatshop so publicly and without shame does just that.  Are other companies just as guilty as Apple?  Yes.  Do other companies flaunt their use of sweatshop labor in this manner?  No.  This is why news outlets single out Apple when it comes to Foxconn.

I think I heard you say, "blah! blah! blah!  I'm a dumbass!"  Did I hear you right?

• Reply 28 of 98
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,907member
    Quote:

sweatshop

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

• Reply 29 of 98
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Second Degree Burns sound serious and scary!  Let me translate.  2nd degree burn is a blister.  A damned blister.  Stupid media.

• Reply 30 of 98
    Quote:

Quote:

People line up like crazy just to land a job with Foxconn!

Foxconn workers also line up to jump off the building to commit suicide to raise awareness of the shit conditions and end their miserable lives.  What was Foxconn's solution?  You may guess that it's treat the workers better, but nope, their solution was to build a net so people can't jump off the roof to commit suicide anymore.

Anyone here defending the most well known sweatshop on the planet (and there seems to be quite a few of you in this thread) must really have their heads in the sand to not see Foxconn for what it is.

lol. This guy DriodFTW is good for a laugh, at least.  I thought most of the retards had washed out of this forum.  Let's see what stupid crap he comes up with next!  /sits back with popcorn

• Reply 31 of 98
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,907member
    Quote:

People are seriously getting dumber and dumber. 

Yes we can make that argument.  We can also make the argument that technology continues to advance and becomes more and more complex. Plus the gadgets are designed to mask their complexity from the end users.  I don't really think you can fairly expect people whose entire life experience and education has been non-technical (say, an accountant or carpenter) to "understand" the technology that is presented and sold to them.  What as it Clarke said? "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Should people act responsibly and reasonably?  Sure, but sometimes they are not equipped to do so.

• Reply 32 of 98
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    [QUOTE name="DroidFTW" url="/t/182997/apple-ceo-tim-cook-visits-foxconn-iphone-factory-on-china-road-trip#post_2625661"]
     Such baloney and a non issue that Foxconn decided to put up nets to keep people from jumping, right?

[URL=http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/51197/]CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90
    [/URL]
    [/QUOTE]

First I need to warn you that it's not always a good idea to post a photo of yourself on the internet.

Think of your privacy! ;)

Second, in regards to the statement in your post, yes, it is most definitely baloney.

[COLOR=000000]Your claim "[/COLOR][COLOR=000000]What was Foxconn's solution?  You may guess that it's treat the workers better, but nope, their solution was to build a net so people can't jump off the roof to commit suicide anymore.' is not correct.[/COLOR]

The exact measures taken can be found here:

"In response, Foxconn representatives and Steve Jobs stated Foxconn is ‘not a sweatshop’ because ‘Foxconn’s suicide rate is well below the China average’ (ChinaNews, 2010; Viticci, 2010). Further, Foxconn made a series of efforts to address the rash of suicides, offering employees multiple pay raises, psychological assistance, no-suicide contracts, worker rallies, and by placing safety nets around buildings where Foxconn employees live and work (Culpan, 2010; McEntegart,2010). The company also reported it would move at least some of its Chinese operations inland to rural areas where labor could be more than two-thirds cheaper than what it already was (Lubman, 2010).
  • Reply 33 of 98
    droidftw wrote: »
    And people here wonder why Apple gets mentioned when Foxconn makes the news for treating their workers like crap.  Associating yourself with a sweatshop so publicly and without shame does just that.  Are other companies just as guilty as Apple?  Yes.  Do other companies flaunt their use of sweatshop labor in this manner?  No.  This is why news outlets single out Apple when it comes to Foxconn.

Foxconn is an Apple partner. Apple needs to visit their partners from time to time. It's part of any functioning business relationship.

No part of your comment will change either the wild success of the iPhone, or the sheer amount of profit it pulls in for Apple, or its absolute domination of every smartphone consumer satisfaction metric since its debut.

I know that last part probably stings - a lot. But that's the reality in which you're making your comment.
  • Reply 34 of 98
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Troll

• Reply 35 of 98
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Meet some frickin' iPhone 6 plus talent and crack that whip, authorize OT and get them things produced! Been waiting since Sept. 12th! : )

Another Troll

• Reply 36 of 98

Foxconn workers are the highest paid in China and average Apple factory worker makes 57% more than Samsung factory workers. Get your facts straight before talking like an idiot
  • Reply 37 of 98
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,519member
    DroidFTW (and yes, I know you're a troll, and I shouldn't but ...):

Have you ever, personally worked in a factory? Any kind of factory, any country, even the US?

If so, can you compare and contrast it to the Chinese factory on a relative basis?

I have, myself, worked in a factory. It is brutal, difficult, demanding and tedious work. There is a reason why the US doesn't have a lot of factories anymore, and it's because Americans do not want to do that work unless they are so economically strapped they have no choice. And that was what it was like when the economy was *good.*

From everything I've read and in chats with a couple of Chinese immigrants who used to work in tech factories in Taiwan, the factories were (and are, for non-Apple suppliers) pretty bad, but not horribly worse than US factories I've been in. Since 2011, however, Apple's pressure has seriously upgraded the quality of the factories of its manufacturing partners and supplier partners to largely US standards (barring some cultural differences, like a willingness of Chinese workers to do lots of overtime so they can support parents, etc).

As with non-union US factories, there are still worker abuse and safety issues to address. But Apple making a big public issue of this and being very transparent in their reporting makes me feel a whole lot better about buying an iPhone than I would about buying any Android phone. What's the factory like where YOUR phone was made?

Get back to me when you have some documentation on your views.
  • Reply 38 of 98
    Foxconn workers also line up to jump off the building to commit suicide to raise awareness of the shit conditions and end their miserable lives.  What was Foxconn's solution?  You may guess that it's treat the workers better, but nope, their solution was to build a net so people can't jump off the roof to commit suicide anymore.

Anyone here defending the most well known sweatshop on the planet (and there seems to be quite a few of you in this thread) must really have their heads in the sand to not see Foxconn for what it is.

You know why some Foxconn workers suicide? Because unlike their Samsung counterparts, Foxconn workers has the best life insurance policy benefits, they wanted collect it for their families back home . Samsung or other droid factories have not such issues because they have NO BENEFITS unlike Foxconn workers
  • Reply 39 of 98

Factory work in China pays well and is far more preferable to the alternatives available to these workers.
  • Reply 40 of 98
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    roake wrote: »

Second Degree Burns sound serious and scary!  Let me translate.  2nd degree burn is a blister.  A damned blister.  Stupid media.

Actually there are different types of 2nd degree burns, some of which require skin grafts, that seems a little more excessive than a blister. Maybe you should go back to translation school