Apple CEO Tim Cook visits Foxconn iPhone factory on China 'road trip'

135

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 98
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

    What I don't understand is why anyone would choose a user name like Droid For The Wankers.

  • Reply 42 of 98

    What I don't understand is why anyone would choose a user name like Droid For The Wankers.

     

    DroidFTW simply got the last 3 letters reversed.

  • Reply 43 of 98
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by castcore View Post





    You know why some Foxconn workers suicide? Because unlike their Samsung counterparts, Foxconn workers has the best life insurance policy benefits, they wanted collect it for their families back home . Samsung or other droid factories have not such issues because they have NO BENEFITS unlike Foxconn workers

     

    Yep, suicide is totally an economic decision.

  • Reply 44 of 98
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,347member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

     

    And people here wonder why Apple gets mentioned when Foxconn makes the news for treating their workers like crap.  Associating yourself with a sweatshop so publicly and without shame does just that.  Are other companies just as guilty as Apple?  Yes.  Do other companies flaunt their use of sweatshop labor in this manner?  No.  This is why news outlets single out Apple when it comes to Foxconn.


     

    So instead of being like other companies who manufacture everything in China but prefer to sweep that fact under the carpet and never aknowledge it, hoping that their ignorant cusotmers assume otherwise, Apple choose to embrace and aknowledge that fact, admit that it isn't ideal/perfect, and take tangible steps to do what it can to improve that reality, including commissioning reports that exposes abuses, often sacrificing their own PR in the process- and this is a BAD thing according to you?

     

    You're the reason the world is so fucked up, because you attack the only ones that take hard steps to improve the issues by actually being honest about them. You prefer companies lie to you, and treat you like a fucking idiot.

     

    "Flaunt their use of sweatshops?" Not only do you not know the definition of a sweatshop, you also don't know the definition of "flaunt". I'm glad the CEO of Apple is willing to tour the factories, and educate/expose himself to the reality, instead of deciding he'd prefer not to look at that. The fact that you see is as a "flaunt" reflects quite a bit about you. 

  • Reply 45 of 98
    [quote name="DroidFTW" url="/t/182997/apple-ceo-tim-cook-visits-foxconn-iphone-factory-on-china-road-trip#post_2625619"]And people here wonder why Apple gets mentioned when Foxconn makes the news for treating their workers like crap.  Associating yourself with a sweatshop so publicly and without shame does just that.  Are other companies just as guilty as Apple?  Yes.  Do other companies flaunt their use of sweatshop labor in this manner?  No.  This is why news outlets single out Apple when it comes to Foxconn.
    [/quote

    His screen name is DROID.... I know who you are Mr. Eric Schmidt. How are you? What you doing here? Say crap about your competitor? Android phone is finally loosing market share? I'm sorry to hear that. Sincerely, lol
  • Reply 46 of 98
    ingsocingsoc Posts: 212member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

     

     

     

    Foxconn has a huge amount of workers. Are a few of them going to off themselves every once in a while? Sure! That's completely normal and completely within the statistical norm. It's a non issue.


     

    Yes, and to add to your point, Droid is also ignoring other factors that may have lead to these suicides. I doubt it's quite the black-and-white issue that is suggested.

     

    Also I'm not quite sure what is expected of Apple. They have some ability to influence Foxconn I'm sure, but is the solution for Apple to just dump Foxconn and find someone else? If that's the case, then what about the thousands upon thousands (tens of thousands at least) of workers who would suddenly become unemployed?

     

    For many, working in a factory like this is a way of escaping poverty in the countryside as opposed to being an entry point for it. I think a lot of people, especially those in the privileged west, fail to recognise this.

  • Reply 47 of 98
    droidftw wrote: »
    Foxconn workers also line up to jump off the building to commit suicide to raise awareness of the shit conditions and end their miserable lives.  What was Foxconn's solution?  You may guess that it's treat the workers better, but nope, their solution was to build a net so people can't jump off the roof to commit suicide anymore.

    Anyone here defending the most well known sweatshop on the planet (and there seems to be quite a few of you in this thread) must really have their heads in the sand to not see Foxconn for what it is.

    Mr. Eric Schmidt, please you are talking shit about apple again. Go back to google.
  • Reply 48 of 98
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

     

    Foxconn workers also line up to jump off the building to commit suicide to raise awareness of the shit conditions...  


     

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

     

    Yep, suicide is totally an economic decision.


     

    About as much as it is a 'raising awareness' decision...

  • Reply 49 of 98
    Yep, suicide is totally an economic decision.

    Without perspective, there can be no understanding. In China, for the millions of factory workers who typically come to the cities from the dirt-poor country, these jobs represent a "golden ticket" in a country where life for most is still brutal. The death benefits that were being paid to the families of suicides was a perverse incentive to kill oneself to ensure the family would be well off.
  • Reply 50 of 98
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GTR View Post





    First I need to warn you that it's not always a good idea to post a photo of yourself on the internet.



    Think of your privacy! image

     

    Oh, he's all covered on that front. His head is hidden, so no one can see it and identify him.

    He is wearing pants, so that is covered too, so no one can identify him that way either!

     

    Personally, I'm getting sick of these armchair PR specialists and armchair Human Rights activists.

  • Reply 51 of 98
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

     

    Oh, he's all covered on that front. His head is hidden, so no one can see it and identify him.

    He is wearing pants, so that is covered too, so no one can identify him that way either!

     

    Personally, I'm getting sick of these armchair PR specialists and armchair Human Rights activists.


     

    But I suspect he's like that all the time, so all you need to do is see him in the street and go, "Oh! There's that idiot with his head in the ground and those pants!".

  • Reply 52 of 98
    No screen in background showing windows this time :-)
  • Reply 53 of 98
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

    First I need to warn you that it's not always a good idea to post a photo of yourself on the internet.



    Think of your privacy! 1wink.gif

  • Reply 54 of 98
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,347member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

     

    Foxconn workers also line up to jump off the building to commit suicide to raise awareness of the shit conditions and end their miserable lives.  What was Foxconn's solution?  You may guess that it's treat the workers better, but nope, their solution was to build a net so people can't jump off the roof to commit suicide anymore.

     

    Anyone here defending the most well known sweatshop on the planet (and there seems to be quite a few of you in this thread) must really have their heads in the sand to not see Foxconn for what it is.


     

    Foxconn has a lower suicide rate than US college campuses. Foxconn employs hundreds of thousands of people. How often do you hear about a suicide? Once every few months?

     

    Oh, and please list your phone model, as well as every single product you own, including all electronic devices and clothes. You know, to make sure nothing you use is made in China. Prove us wrong, maybe in fact everything you own IS made by magical, happy unicorns in magic land.

  • Reply 55 of 98
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member

    I want to see one of those videos of an iPhone 6 being made. specifically how the aluminium back panel is milled.

  • Reply 56 of 98
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,471member
    slurpy wrote: »
    So instead of being like other companies who manufacture everything in China but prefer to sweep that fact under the carpet and never aknowledge it, hoping that their ignorant cusotmers assume otherwise, Apple choose to embrace and aknowledge that fact, admit that it isn't ideal/perfect, and take tangible steps to do what it can to improve that reality, including commissioning reports that exposes abuses, often sacrificing their own PR in the process- and this is a BAD thing according to you?

    You're the reason the world is so fucked up, because you attack the only ones that take hard steps to improve the issues by actually being honest about them. You prefer companies lie to you, and treat you like a fucking idiot.

    "Flaunt their use of sweatshops?" Nevermind, you actually are a fucking idiot. Not only do you not know the definition of a sweatshop, you also don't know the definition of "flaunt". I'm glad the CEO of Apple is willing to tour the factories, and educate/expose himself to the reality, instead of deciding he'd prefer not to look at that. The fact that you see is as a "flaunt" reflects quite a bit about you. 

    Extremely well put.
  • Reply 57 of 98
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,471member
    paul94544 wrote: »
    Another Troll

    You have a knack of quoting all the folks on my block list so I have to see the crap they post ... :D

    If only blocks also blocked quotes too eh? Seriously do yourself a favor and just block the Assdriod insurgents.
  • Reply 58 of 98
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

    As far as all the personal attacks in this thread (and there are a lot), I'm not going to take the time to address those childish responses.  I suspect I touched a nerve by stating the obvious.



    As far as the Foxconn apologists, one can only lead a horse to water, you can't make them drink.  There's no shortage of data on Foxconn's horrible treatment of their workers.  Secondly, just because there's worse jobs out there doesn't make it right to exploit human beings.

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

    About as much as it is a 'raising awareness' decision...

     

  • Reply 59 of 98
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    droidftw wrote: »

    Did you actually read ANY of the responses to your post???
  • Reply 60 of 98
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

    ...and it's actually a city. Foxconn owns the hospital, the apartment complexes, the mall, the restaurants, everything. Many live there and spend their day-to-day lives in that city, earning and spending all of their money there. Foxconn profits off of the work they do, then off of every penny they spend in the city.

    Not to put too fine a point on it, but this is a more modern version of a business model that,

    at least here in the US, contributed to the rise of organized labor over a century ago.

    Still, I appreciate Krawall's point - it's hard for first-worlders to rotate their perspective sufficiently sometimes,

    to recognize that this might be to some degree a step upward for these folks.

Sign In or Register to comment.