First look: Pixelmator for iPad takes powerful image editing on-the-go

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2014
Popular Mac image editor Pixelmator went mobile on Thursday with an eponymous iPad release that combines two hallmark features users of the desktop version have come to love: a deep powerful toolset in an easy to use interface.

Pixelmator for iPad was first announced by co-creator Aidas Dailide during an onstage demo at Apple's iPad Air 2 unveiling last week. AppleInsider was able to go hands-on with the software ahead of release.

The app itself features a very stripped down user interface, affording users full screen real estate to view and manipulate photos, text, graphics and more. In fact, most of the tools are hidden behind menus accessed via a set of icons in the top right corner of the workspace, while contextual controls, including a handy undo button, appear on the left.

Like the demo, everything is super smooth, even on a first-generation iPad Air. The app does a great job in handling large image files, making zooming, scrolling and rotating with multitouch gestures a fluid experience.

While not the most exhaustive on the market, Pixelmator contains powerful retouching, effects, color adjustment, painting and other creative tools. Coupled with the iPad's pixel-dense screen, the app makes for one of the most advanced image manipulation titles on the App Store, OS X included.

Many users will be excited to see retouching tools that sport presets for color, brightness, saturation and smudging, among others. The Repair tool is especially useful for brushing out fairly substantial blemishes. With a powerful pattern matching algorithm, users can even remove larger objects so long as the background isn't too complex.

Example of Pixelmator's Repair tool.

In addition, a number of special effects can be used to further manipulate layers. Whole-image tweaks include sharpness, vignetting, pinch, bokeh, noise, hue and saturation, "light leak," miniaturize (creates a simulated tilt-shift effect through selective blur) and kaleidoscope. Area-specific adjustments include blur, bump effects and more.

Nested within most effects are preset styles, for example the "Vintage" effect comes in Bauhaus, Art Deco, Romantic, Retro, Hippie, Punk, and Urban. In some cases, a virtual wheel is provided to increase and decrease the strength of a chosen effect, while other instances call for a slider. In both instances, previews are calculated live.

Advanced users also get a few great tools in histogram-based color adjustments across the usual metrics. Curves, levels, brightness and contrast, color balance and white balance can all be controlled with accompanying live preview. Due to the processing power required, these features are usually reserved for desktop applications, but Pixelmator is exceedingly fast and stable while performing the above mentioned functions.

Being a non-destructive image editor, Pixelmator uses layers to stack and blend photos, text and image effects, but falls short of supporting adjustment layers. This is not a huge issue since the selection and spot effect tools are granular enough to yield acceptable results. On the selection side, the app offers free, shape-based, "magic wand" and paint-on tools with fine adjustments available for feathering edges and blending.

Finally, Pixelmator includes a variety of sharing options and support for iCloud syncing. Support for new iOS 8 features is also built in, including Handoff to Pixelmator for Mac.

Pixelmator for iPad is available for $4.99 from the iOS App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    They are certainly pushing the boundaries, congratulations to them for this latest version. I am very pleased to see anything challenging Adobe. The price is amazing.

For me though and no condescension implied, it looks like fun toy for a rain day on vacation and I'd include the Mac version in that although that continues to improve. I have to stick with PS and Aperture (soon to be LightRoom alas) for work for now. Pros only work in RAW and require too many other things such as large fast storage, plug-ins, I have half a dozen for PS and Aperture, and large screens. That said, it is the future, I can see a time coming when a large pro iPad like device (27-30") for both music and graphics will be pretty awesome.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    It's 120MB if anyone was curious.

Given that my iPhone 6 is my primary camera, and my iPad is the highest resolution screen I own, I actually think I would use this. The color accurate screen on the Air will help.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    All we need now is a 12" iPad :)
  • Reply 4 of 29
    paxman wrote: »
    All we need now is a 12" iPad :)

27" and helium balloons ... :D
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Has anyone managed to download this from the UK App Store yet? The direct link above takes me to the app but clicking buy gives me a "The item you tried to buy is no longer available" error. It also doesn't appear in any search results if I ignore the direct link above and just try searching for it.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    I'm rather disappointed that this is iPad-only. Mine's been appropriately collecting a lot of dust since the 6 came out, but honestly I don't see anything here UI-wise that couldn't be scaled down to the 5 either.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    davemcm76 wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to download this from the UK App Store yet? The direct link above takes me to the app but clicking buy gives me a "The item you tried to buy is no longer available" error. It also doesn't appear in any search results if I ignore the direct link above and just try searching for it.

I experienced the same thing in the Australian App Store.

However, I just used the link and it installed fine.

It's not bad for a first edition. I'd like to see more features in future updates but I'm happy.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Pixelmator is selling this for far too cheap. I hope they make their money back on this. I would expect them to pay five times as much.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    gtr wrote: »
    I experienced the same thing in the Australian App Store.

However, I just used the link and it installed fine.

Still getting the no longer available error here - I guess it's just taking a while to roll out internationally for some reason so I'll leave it for now and try again in a few hours when I get home from work.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    davemcm76 wrote: »
    Still getting the no longer available error here - I guess it's just taking a while to roll out internationally for some reason so I'll leave it for now and try again in a few hours when I get home from work.

I agree. It's probably a roll-out issue.

If it first you don't succeed try, try again...
  • Reply 11 of 29
    gustav wrote: »
    Pixelmator is selling this for far too cheap. I hope they make their money back on this. I would expect them to pay five times as much.

Unfortunately, the App Store has lowered people's expectations of how much good software should cost.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

They are certainly pushing the boundaries, congratulations to them for this latest version. I am very pleased to see anything challenging Adobe. The price is amazing.

For me though and no condescension implied, it looks like fun toy for a rain day on vacation and I'd include the Mac version in that although that continues to improve. I have to stick with PS and Aperture (soon to be LightRoom alas) for work for now. Pros only work in RAW and require too many other things such as large fast storage, plug-ins, I have half a dozen for PS and Aperture, and large screens. That said, it is the future, I can see a time coming when a large pro iPad like device (27-30") for both music and graphics will be pretty awesome.

I'm tired of hearing things about Pros. Pixelmator, like anything offered on an iPad or iPhone, is meant for editing files created on that device. If you can grab RAW files off a camera using a WiFi card from a DSLR, fine, but this isn't the intended audience. There are a lot more non-Pros taking perfectly acceptable photographs using iOS devices than there are self proclaimed Pro. No reason to insult a very good application that gets better every day, pushing Photoshop off most user's desktops. Pixelmator for the desktop is only $30 and does a hell of a lot. Photoshop is way overpriced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

I agree but I'm betting the Dailide brothers are banking on volume over individual sales. Plus, I hear the cost of living in Vilnius, Lithuania isn't that bad.

• Reply 13 of 29
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Unfortunately, the App Store has lowered people's expectations of how much good software should cost.

I look at it a different way. Software used to cost as much of more than the computer it ran on. Apple started changing this perception when applications like Final Cut Pro were brought down from the false stratosphere of the elite to a level where everyone could enjoy the benefits of using good software. Some companies continue to try and overcharge (Adobe, Microsoft, AutoDesk) for their software because of ego and the need to pay for their overpriced mansions, boats, and jets. Yes, these companies have more employees and good programmers but that doesn't mean they always come out with the best products or can make changes quickly. I also wouldn't blame the App Store for lowering expectations, I blame all the garbage apps being pushed out there for free for lowering expectations. Everything is free so why buy. /s 

• Reply 14 of 29
    rob53 wrote: »
    I'm tired of hearing things about Pros. Pixelmator, like anything offered on an iPad or iPhone, is meant for editing files created on that device. If you can grab RAW files off a camera using a WiFi card from a DSLR, fine, but this isn't the intended audience. There are a lot more non-Pros taking perfectly acceptable photographs using iOS devices than there are self proclaimed Pro. No reason to insult a very good application that gets better every day, pushing Photoshop off most user's desktops. Pixelmator for the desktop is only $30 and does a hell of a lot. Photoshop is way overpriced.

I agree but I'm betting the Dailide brothers are banking on volume over individual sales. Plus, I hear the cost of living in Vilnius, Lithuania isn't that bad.

Did you actually read what I wrote or scan it and read what you thought I said?

I applaud the program on OS X and iOS and look forward to the day it can support the needs of people currently stuck with Adobe to meet their needs. That's all, sorry if I worded it poorly.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Barriault View Post

I'm rather disappointed that this is iPad-only. Mine's been appropriately collecting a lot of dust since the 6 came out, but honestly I don't see anything here UI-wise that couldn't be scaled down to the 5 either.

I get what you're saying, but there is a pretty huge difference between a usable iPad screensize and usable iPhone screensize.  I'm sure they could find a way to shrink down the UI, but it would be a lot of work (look at the differences between the iPhone and iPad versions of the old iPhoto app).  My guess, and it's just a guess, is that they wanted to concentrate on the platform that had the most bang for the buck. 

The devil's in the details, but as long as pictures taken on the iPhone can be edited on the iPad, I'd consider that a pretty big win for a first release.  Personally, I can't wait to get home and see how this all works IRL.

• Reply 16 of 29
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I would really like to be rid of Adobe.  Ironic, since they were once one of my favorite companies, but IMO they have really lost their way under Shantanu Narayen (and the vestiges of Macromedia) and I don't expect them to ever find their way back.

I've committed to really trying to use the OSX version of Pixelmator this winter to see if I can't at least move completely off Ps.  TBH, I'm not interested in paying a monthly fee in order to access my own work. YMMV.  And, yes, I'm stuck with Lightroom for the time being, but at least I'm on the last shrinkwrapped version, so I don't have to pledge homage on a monthly basis for my own photo library.  (I'm not sure what I'll do when Lr 5 eventually won't run on some future version of OSX...)

• Reply 17 of 29
    john.b wrote: »
    I would really like to be rid of Adobe.  Ironic, since they were once one of my favorite companies, but IMO they have really lost their way under Shantanu Narayen (and the vestiges of Macromedia) and I don't expect them to ever find their way back.

I've committed to really trying to use the OSX version of Pixelmator this winter to see if I can't at least move completely off Ps.  TBH, I'm not interested in paying a monthly fee in order to access my own work. YMMV.  And, yes, I'm stuck with Lightroom for the time being, but at least I'm on the last shrinkwrapped version, so I don't have to pledge homage on a monthly basis for my own photo library.  (I'm not sure what I'll do when Lr 5 eventually won't run on some future version of OSX...)

Totally agree, I am in the exact same boat. I was a huge Adobe Fan back in the day, Google too for that matter ... how times change eh?

I don't like LightRoom at all but I am going to go through Lynda and try to learn it in depth, but don't want to be in their cloud either, so that's a problem right there. Photoshop I can use in my sleep but I am sticking with CS6. So the future for me at least looks a bit miserable for high end photography. I used to say I hoped Apple would buy Pixelmator and make a pro version as well as consumer like FCPro / iMovie but after Aperture I have shut up about that! My favorite Adobe program in years is Muse, I've really enjoyed playing with the beta, but that's also cloud only now so I've not taken that plunge either. At least we still have FCPro X, if Apple ditch that I'd rather give up than go back to Premier where i started so long ago I was using a Quadra 840 av.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

The OSX version of Pixelmator is really good. I bought it months ago, but have now just started really using it a lot. I'm finding myself using Photoshop less and less. I'm in the same boat as well. I'll be using Lightroom 5 until it's no longer supported. There is just nothing else out there that is as good as Lightroom for organizing photos and being a pretty good basic photo editor. 

• Reply 19 of 29
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    The OSX version of Pixelmator is really good. I bought it months ago, but have now just started really using it a lot. I'm finding myself using Photoshop less and less. I'm in the same boat as well. I'll be using Lightroom 5 until it's no longer supported. There is just nothing else out there that is as good as Lightroom for organizing photos and being a pretty good basic photo editor. 

I need to revisit PM for OS X. How is it these days at layers, masking, AI for such things as contextual fills from deletes etc.? There is something like LM of course, Aperture, but as it is EOF I take your point. After your words I am going to spend the afternoon watching tutorials on LM, as it is I have only dabbled but now I think I will try to get serious. I have TBs of libraries though and the plug -in converter from Aperture to LM is cloud based only from what i can tell.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Can't find it in the app store from my iPad but shows up in iTunes.  Strange...