Christian Bale confirmed to play Steve Jobs in upcoming biopic, to start shooting soon

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2014
In a Bloomberg Television interview with Emily Chang, Oscar winning screenwriter Aaron Sorkin confirmed Christian Bale will play Apple cofounder Steve Jobs in a forthcoming feature film based on Walter Isaacson's biography of the late tech guru.

Steve Jobs

Sorkin said that Bale didn't have to audition for the part of Jobs, with the acclaimed actor only requiring a meeting to secure the role.

"We needed the best actor on the board in a certain age range and that's Chris Bale," Sorkin said. "He didn't have to audition. Well, there was a meeting."

Bale was first rumored to be in consideration in March, when David Fincher, who is no longer attached to the project, picked him out to play the part. A report earlier this month claimed Bale was in final talks to join the project under Academy Award winning director Danny Boyle ("Slumdog Millionaire," "Trainspotting"), but nothing was unconfirmed at the time.

Sorkin also dropped a few hints as to what to expect from his adaptation, saying Bale will essentially carry the movie. Bale is a well known method actor and his work in "The Fighter" earned him an Oscar in 2011 for Best Supporting Actor. Last year, he was nominated for Best Actor for his performance in "American Hustle."

"He has more words to say in this movie than most people have in three movies combined," Sorkin said. "There isn't a scene or a frame that he's not in. So it's an extremely difficult part and he is gonna crush it."

Sorkin went on to say that principal shooting for the film should begin in the next couple of months, but failed to offer a definite timetable.

The complete interview will air in an upcoming edition of "Studio 1.0."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    Good choice. He'll nail it!
  • Reply 2 of 60
    Steve Job Begins
    The Mac Knight
    The iPod Rises
    American iPhone
    3:10 to iPad
    The MAChinist
    Reign of Apple Watch
  • Reply 3 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Steve Job Begins
    The Mac Knight
    The iPod Rises
    American iPhone
    3:10 to iPad
    The MAChinist
    Reign of Apple Watch

Clever ...
  • Reply 4 of 60
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I think he could pull it off. He has an intelligent looking face and a bit of charisma.

• Reply 5 of 60
    ascii wrote: »
    I think he could pull it off. He has an intelligent looking face and a bit of charisma.

What always blows my mind is hearing him speak 'normally'. He has a strong, pretty rough accent yet speaks impeccably on camera. Good looking dude and yes, I agree he should be excellent for the part. That said, I just won't watch, nor do a read, the Steve Jobs 'money making material'. I just can't take it.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Not to mention the asinine temper and ability to be a big arse-hole at times!

• Reply 7 of 60
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    He has a reputation of being of a pr#ck- attacking his mother and sister. He just might pull it off.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    pazuzu wrote: »
    He has a reputation of being of a pr#ck- attacking his mother and sister. He just might pull it off.

Personal attacks in your signature too I see ... is this a new 'low' ? At least mine is at an Evil Empire and subtle. :D

"... attacking his mother and sister. "

This from his mother ... sounds like she doesn't think he is a bad person to me ... so perhaps your epithet was uncalled for. I will resist the 'it takes one ...' comment. :D

"“I don’t know what happened that night. That’s the problem,” says Jenny.

Jenny admits her daughter Sharon did put a “proposition” to Christian, who is worth an estimated £30million, about people she was working with.

“It was just something he didn’t take up. That was all fine,” explains Jenny. “It wasn’t for Sharon, it was for people she worked with. But I think he thought it was asking for money. That’s all I can put it down to.

“If I had done something bad I would have said sorry. He’s a naturally kind hearted, sensitive, thoughtful son.

“I can only presume something happened I don’t know about that night. I want it all to stop and for things to go back to how we were.”"
  • Reply 9 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Not to mention the asinine temper and ability to be a big arse-hole at times!

LOL, Great point.

Bale is a great actor, but I think many people are kind of burnt on the guy. Enough already.

Just my opinion here, but no matter what part he plays it seems like the character is more Bale than anything else. In a movie like this, I'll watch it and probably never buy into the dramatic license that would allow me to think ..."that's Steve Jobs". It will at best be "That's Bale playing Jobs".

Tom Cruise is the same way. They're both talented but no matter what role they play, you can't get lost in the portrayal.

At least I can't.

It would be nice if they work the script and do a good job of sticking with the real story (as opposed to the earlier jobs flick). If Issacson is on board, that's a good sign. Hopefully he will keep Sorenson from inserting his own personal worldview into the movie (like he does with everything he writes).

• Reply 10 of 60
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    smaceslin wrote: »
    Good choice. He Baled it!

Fixed that for you.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Personal attacks in your signature too I see ... is this a new 'low' ? At least mine is at an Evil Empire and subtle. :D

Except you have it wrong- I was the one attacked. He can simply retract it or prove it or apologize for his mistake instead of acting cowardly.
    It's all very simple to fix- to get it rectifiable. 8-)
  • Reply 12 of 60
    david291 wrote: »

LOL, Great point.

Bale is a great actor, but I think many people are kind of burnt on the guy. Enough already.

Just my opinion here, but no matter what part he plays it seems like the character is more Bale than anything else. In a movie like this, I'll watch it and probably never buy into the dramatic license that would allow me to think ..."that's Steve Jobs". It will at best be "That's Bale playing Jobs".

Tom Cruise is the same way. They're both talented but no matter what role they play, you can't get lost in the portrayal.

At least I can't.

It would be nice if they work the script and do a good job of sticking with the real story (as opposed to the earlier jobs flick). If Issacson is on board, that's a good sign. Hopefully he will keep Sorenson from inserting his own personal worldview into the movie (like he does with everything he writes).

Yeah, but I think it's best if they don't seem too much like Jobs. It'd be nigh impossible to do anyway.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    "nothing was confirmed" NOT "nothing was unconfirmed at the time"
  • Reply 14 of 60

Can we just stop making Steve Jobs movies for a while? Overdone and for now: dull. 

• Reply 15 of 60
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Except you have it wrong- I was the one attacked. He can simply retract it or prove it or apologize for his mistake instead of acting cowardly.
    It's all very simple to fix- to get it rectifiable. 8-)

I doubt Soli is interested in entering into your school yard game on this, so please just take your ball and go home ;).. ... That said ... Isn't being attacked what you want here on AI? Just asking ... trying to make sense of your raison d'être.
  • Reply 16 of 60

And maybe later when they want to do it again, Ben Aflec can play the part like he is for Batman... 

• Reply 17 of 60

It'd be great to see an amazing movie about Steve, not like that nickelodeon-like movie-for-tv that came out with Ashton Kutcher with bad acting, flat story, unconvincing dialogs, etc, etc.

• Reply 18 of 60
    Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

Reign of Apple Watch

Subtle jab; I like it.

• Reply 19 of 60
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David291 View Post

While I do have to wonder whether Bale (or anyone) can convincingly play Jobs, I do feel that Bale does disappear into the characters he plays.   The characters he played in the Batman films, "The Prestige", "American Hustle" and "The Fighter" seemed like they were played by completely different actors.  

I can think of only three film biographies where I didn't see the actor:  Ben Kingsley as Gandhi, Jim Carrey as Andy Kaufman in "Man on the Moon" and perhaps Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln, but that's primarily because we really don't know what Lincoln's persona was like.   

I really can't think of any actor, either those working today or those from the past, who could play Jobs in a way that would convince me that I was watching Jobs.    The problem with portraying Jobs is that he was such a public figure and we know his expressions and cadences so well, it's going to be very hard to emulate.  But that doesn't mean it's going to be a bad movie.    

I do agree that Tom Cruise plays pretty much the same character in every movie.   The only exceptions are when he played Ron Kovic in "Born on the Fourth of July" and that funny bit he did in "Tropic Thunder".    

All IMO, of course.

• Reply 20 of 60
    zoetmb wrote: »
    While I do have to wonder whether Bale (or anyone) can convincingly play Jobs, I do feel that Bale does disappear into the characters he plays.   The characters he played in the Batman films, "The Prestige", "American Hustle" and "The Fighter" seemed like they were played by completely different actors.  

I can think of only three film biographies where I didn't see the actor:  Ben Kingsley as Gandhi, Jim Carrey as Andy Kaufman in "Man on the Moon" and perhaps Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln, but that's primarily because we really don't know what Lincoln's persona was like.   

I really can't think of any actor, either those working today or those from the past, who could play Jobs in a way that would convince me that I was watching Jobs.    The problem with portraying Jobs is that he was such a public figure and we know his expressions and cadences so well, it's going to be very hard to emulate.  But that doesn't mean it's going to be a bad movie.    

I do agree that Tom Cruise plays pretty much the same character in every movie.   The only exceptions are when he played Ron Kovic in "Born on the Fourth of July" and that funny bit he did in "Tropic Thunder".    

All IMO, of course.

That a very interesting and very true train of thought. Most actors are basically always the same in each movie. It is rare as you say to have one that vanishes behind the character. Some actors are specifically successful by always being the same, indeed i suspect writers actually write to the known character ... examples would range from Bruce Willis to Cary Grant. The audience would find Bruce not playing Bruce a let down (and he may have done of course and i just haven't seen it). Then there are those that are always the same and still can't act, like Arnold, but we love him anyway. :D