Mac users report Bluetooth lag & connection issues after updating to OS X Yosemite

Posted:
in macOS edited October 2015
Bluetooth bugs seem to be a recurring problem with Apple's latest software updates, as users running OS X Yosemite say that the new Mac operating system has created connectivity problems with the Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, Apple wireless keyboard, and third-party wireless accessories.

In a growing thread on the Apple Support Communities forums, users report that Yosemite has created problems when connecting to wireless input accessories, including Apple's own hardware. Some have trouble connecting entirely, while others say noticeable lag has been introduced since updating to Yosemite.

"My Magic Mouse and my Bluetooth Keyboard have a 0.5 second of latency, lag," user 'O00Dany00O' wrote. "This (happens) when the MacBook is not plugged in with a battery charger."

This person said the problems don't exist when their MacBook Pro is charging, but others said they are experiencing constant issues with Bluetooth regardless of charging state.
Like OS X Yosemite, iOS 8.0 had Bluetooth-related bugs when it launched last month.
Some users have reported problems connecting their iPhone over Bluetooth to their Mac, while other non-Apple accessories are said to have issues, including Bluetooth headphones, speakers.

The issue has been particularly frustrating for some, who have tried various fixes -- including resetting their Mac's PRAM --?to find the problems temporarily resolved, only to return later on.

User 'SuperYorkie' said they own both a MacBook Pro and an iMac, and the issues were only seen on the MacBook Pro. But another poster, '33matt,' said they are experiencing laggy input from Bluetooth devices on their Mac mini, suggesting the problem may not be restricted to just notebooks running Yosemite.

Last month's release of iOS 8 for iPhone and iPad was also beset with a number of Bluetooth bugs, particularly when attempting to connect an iPhone to a car's Bluetooth handsfree system. Some of those problems are said to have been fixed by this week's launch of iOS 8.1.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 85

Keyboard and trackpad working the same on Yosemite as they did on Mavericks and earlier on my mid-2010 27" iMac. However, for the last several week and prior to upgrade to 10.10, my trackpad (or the pointer - no real way of knowing which one) will briefly "pause" for a half-second or so. It hasn't happened long or frequently enough to notice much of a pattern.

• Reply 2 of 85

I will throw my iOS 8.1 Bluetooth complaint into the discussion.

When I initiate a phone call on my phone in the car using Siri, the phone doesn't subsequently automatically route the phone call audio through my car's audio system. It routes the audio to the iPhone speaker. To use Bluetooth handsfree calling, I have to then  manually select my car audio system to route the audio to the car system which when driving, is an inadvisable action as dangerous as texting. The Bluetooth issues with iOS 8 and the iPhone 6 have been very frustrating. 

Curiously, music audio works just fine in the car and routes appropriately. 

• Reply 3 of 85
    I know of a couple of people that are having noticeable delay using the Magic Mouse, I'm sure it'll get fixed pretty soon.
  • Reply 4 of 85
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Luckily my Apple trackpad works just fine on the work early 2013 MBP. That is all I use -- don't have a mouse -- and it would royally mess up work if the Apple Trackpad had issues as I have external screens and the MBP is off to the side and using the built in one would be uncomfortable.
  • Reply 5 of 85
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member

My verizon, aircard no longer connects via USB

• Reply 6 of 85

After upgrading, my Mid 2014 macbook Pro would drop my corporate wifi connection after a few seconds and become unusable.

There are a lot of people with the same problem and as many suggestions on how to fix.

After 2 days monitoring the discussion on apple forum

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6601963

and trying about almost every suggestion except down-grading I finally got it to work by deleting a preference directory. (at least working for now, no idea if it will rear its ugly head again)

A lot of frustrated people out there judging by the comments on apple forum. 

Also our corporate IT has banned anyone from upgrading because of issues mounting our shared drives using SMB.

I also get an occasional popup that says "A graphics error has occurred". Nothing noticeable on the screen but I never had this before the upgrade.

• Reply 7 of 85
    BT in multiple cars works awesome with 8.1. Remember many car manufacturers have their own issues with poor BT implementations. Don't blame iOS for that.
  • Reply 8 of 85
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Not seen any bad magic mouse issues on several Macs running 10.10. I have seen a typing delays occasionally come and go in blogs such as AI recently when using my MBPs (wife's and mine), but that's on a built in keyboard not a bluetooth one. But I have actually noticed my MBP is wanting to connect to the MM from a lot further away recently. I leave to mouse in my office when carrying the MBP to other parts of the house.
  • Reply 9 of 85

Its bluetooth that is causing Airdrop to take forever to 'see' IOS devices. I can power on say 3 iOS devices, all on the same wifi, but only two of them on same icon account. It can take almost a minute before Airdrop on the MAC (Yosemite) sees them. IF one is NOT on the same wifi it takes even longer to see on the mac, and sometimes I only get to see it by toggling bluetooth on/off on the mac...

the three IOS devices do see themselves a lot quicker.

I hope when they get this fixed, they will also enable handoff etc on mid2011 macbook Air. It has same bluetooth (ir bless.0 with lim0x6)  and wifi as later iMac, which IS handoff enabled. In fact it was enabled on beta versions of Yosemite.

• Reply 10 of 85
    Since I upgraded, the trackpad/pointer is all over the place for around 20 mins after I turn on my MBP or switch users. V annoying. It's a mid 2010 13" MBP.
  • Reply 11 of 85
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    patpatpat wrote: »
    After upgrading, my Mid 2014 macbook Pro would drop my corporate wifi connection after a few seconds and become unusable.
    There are a lot of people with the same problem and as many suggestions on how to fix.
    After 2 days monitoring the discussion on apple forum
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6601963
    and trying about almost every suggestion except down-grading I finally got it to work by deleting a preference directory. (at least working for now, no idea if it will rear its ugly head again)

A lot of frustrated people out there judging by the comments on apple forum. 

Also our corporate IT has banned anyone from upgrading because of issues mounting our shared drives using SMB.

My wife's MBP is now printing to her remote office printers seamlessly after years of not being able to because their IT department is so pro Windows. Never trying to make anything Mac friendly. Today she emailed me with glee saying it's all just started working. All due to 10.10 i have to assume as not changed at the other end. All Wi Fi connections continue perfectly just as they did under Mavericks. Apple must have found away to make the Macs print to recalcitrant pro Windows network printers better :)
  • Reply 12 of 85

I have this exact same issue. At first I thought it was a hardware problem.

• Reply 13 of 85

Fine here.

• Reply 14 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

My wife's MBP is now printing to her remote office printers seamlessly after years of not being able to because their IT department is so pro Windows. Never trying to make anything Mac friendly. Today she emailed me with glee saying it's all just started working as is her connections to their intranet. All due to 10.10 i have to assume as not changed at the other end. All Wi Fi connections continue perfectly just as they did under Mavericks.

but that wouldn't be bluetooth - If your extolling many benefits of Yosemite - I have to agree. Its a great upgrade in general.

• Reply 15 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Fine here.

if you have one or more IOS devices, just try Airdrop on  the mac, and see how long it takes for them to appear. If you get bored, try toggling bluetooth on/off

• Reply 16 of 85
    I'm using 10.10 on my 2008 iMAC and my bluetooth is awful. My keyboard and magic mouse disconnect every few minutes. Then I have to wait for the thing to reconnect before I can start to use the device. It also drops my bluetooth speakers and basically kills the performance on my machine.

I have logged it in the Apple Develop Forums hoping for some answers.

Im going to try and blast my PRAM as the others in this thread.
  • Reply 17 of 85

I just experienced this bug myself. Booted up a 2013 Mac Pro this morning, and it couldn't find my Apple bluetooth mouse. Fortunately, it did find my Apple trackpad, so I was able to go to System Preferences and manually find the mouse. 

• Reply 18 of 85

I have been using Yosemite for 2 days now and I have 0 issues. Zero.  And my 99 year old grandmother who has never used a computer before also has no issues.  

There is no problem here, everyone who is complaining is making this up and is spamming the sites with false accusations against Apple.

/s

• Reply 19 of 85
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member

I use an iMac with a 3rd party Bluetooth keyboard and Apple's Magic Trackpad. I have zero problems.

I have, however, identified two minor issues with OS X 10.10 that will, hopefully, be resolved with the next update.

• Reply 20 of 85
    I'm definitely having some trouble. On my Retina MBP (original) running Yosemite my Magic Trackpad is occasionally disconnecting and refusing to reconnect. This appears to happen when the computer's asleep, but I haven't observed closely enough to be confident of that. It will reconnect only after I restart the computer (other attempts to solve the problem have not worked). Once connected, however, it responds normally and without delay.

I was having a few troubles before the Yosemite release, so I'm not sure if the bug is entirely new to Yosemite. That said, I may not know much given prior to finding out others were experiencing the problem I was wondering if something was wrong with my Magic Trackpad.