iPhone 6 Plus users report persistent unexplained crashing issues, possibly tied to large app librar

Comments

• Reply 21 of 212

Owning 100's of apps is not that unusual.  I know a few people that buy what seems like every single $0.99 game.  Over the years that starts adding up.  10,000's of games and apps are small, clocking in at 50 megs or less so people never delete them.

Buying a $0.99 game or other app a day is less than most people spend on a coffee, so in one year you have 365 paid apps.  Not to mention any free apps.  

Statistically it would appear that a handful of people out of the 15 million (or how ever many) 6 plus owners install that many apps. 

• Reply 22 of 212
    musomuso Posts: 30member
    700 effing apps? Sounds like those 50K song libraries. I call them "digital hoarders."
  • Reply 23 of 212
    No way is this strictly a hardware issue. If someone got a defective phone, the chances of them getting a second, third, then fourth defective phone would be so infinitesimally small. This has to be a problem with an app, or possibly a combination of apps.

By the way, my 128gb iPhone 6+ has never demonstrated this problem, but I only have 198 apps. (too lazy to discard unused apps) I'm not saying the problem doesn't exist, just sharing personal experience.
  • Reply 24 of 212
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    And this is why I only buy the "S" series. Thankful to you guinea pigs but sorry for your trevails.
  • Reply 25 of 212
    slurpy wrote: »
    A whole SIXTY replies? 60?? OMG, this is an OUTRAGE! I demand a full recall! This is an unacceptable #, given that Apple has already sold tens of MILLIONS of phones, and this # represents a blade of grass in a football field. But nevertheless, I will sensationalize and blow this out of proportions, making sweeping claims about Apple's lack of any kind of quality control, how Steve Jobs wouldn't have allowed this, how Tim Cook should be fired, and how this is evidence of Apple going down the shitter.

I mean, 60 responses, gee wiz, that's like.. my brain can't even process that # it's so massive.

EDIT: Holy shit, didn't even read this part:

"apps installed number at more than 700..".

Are you fucking shitting me? Who the **** has 700+ apps on their phones, and WHY?? How long does it take to restore that from iCloud? An entire day? Here's a tip- fucking delete apps you don't use. Have these douchebags been downloading apps since 2008, and never deleting a single one? Christ.

Doesn't matter - It should just work- all the time.
  • Reply 26 of 212
    Get them refurbished and put on sale immediately for people are desperate to get one and don't have 1,000 apps on their phone.
  • Reply 27 of 212
    gtbuzzgtbuzz Posts: 129member
    Repetitive reboots happened on my iPhone5 before I upgraded to iOS8.1 - somewhere in the recent upgrades. I decided it would eventually stop and it did after software releases stabilized. I must admit it had me concerned. I don't have close to 700 apps. It was iOS update related.
  • Reply 28 of 212
    Funny how the 6 isn't impacted. Surely there are many who have 700+ with 6's. I personally have 235 apps but rarely use half of them. Keep most around just for the heck of it.
  • Reply 29 of 212
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member
    Too many Gee Bees!
  • Reply 30 of 212
    pfisher wrote: »
    Better to wait for the 'S' models.....fine tuned and better still!

Exactly and don't let poster(s) with shady reputations advise you otherwise. You always get more bang for your buck on the S series. All kinks are worked out.
    Look at the history- from 3G to 3 GS from 4 to 4s fr 5 to 5 S - all have corrected the prior original model's defects/ shortcomings. No one can change that history.
  • Reply 31 of 212
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Nothing new, have the same issue, although less severe, on iPhone 5s and iPad Air (64GB/128GB) with tons of apps installed.
    Usually a forced reboot, and then letting the loop go on for hours or days will eventually fix it.
    My guess is that some CPU watchdog timer kicks in, or some resource is exhausted as iOS processes the app icon layout, as this matter is particularly likely to be triggered after installing new apps or updating existing ones.
    It may seem silly to have over 1k apps installed, but if you're testing/comparing apps, and travel internationally and thus also have a bunch of regional apps from various parts of the world installed, that's a number easily exceeded...

Other possibly related issues: keyboards that don't show all keys (but work, if you can type blindly), or keyboards that show all "mystery character" symbols on all keys...
    When testing iOS I thought it was a matter of the beta software, but this continues under iOS 8.1 and could be witnessed as far back as iOS 6/7 on older iPhones such as the iPhone 4 w/ 32GB
    Surprising only that people didn't talk about this before...
  • Reply 32 of 212
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Just hope it isn't a "rushing-to-market-to-match-demand" quality issue...

"Apple is rushing to market"

"Apple took too long to make a phablet"

Both of these troll memes cannot be simultaneously true.

• Reply 33 of 212
    pazuzu wrote: »
    And this is why I only buy the "S" series. Thankful to you guinea pigs but sorry for your trevails.

So you get to have an obsolete design for a whole year while we enjoy the latest and greatest.

Don't you have an Android anyway?
  • Reply 34 of 212
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Whatever the issue is, Apple's iOS software needs work. Even updating to 8.1 I still have issues where I'll be typing something in Safari and the keyboard freezes and Safari crashes. This is on an iPad Air. On my iPhone 5s I have issues with my 3rd party Twitter app where sometimes it won't refresh or show conversations when I'm using wifi. If I turn wifi off it works just fine. I hope there is no iOS 9 and we get a Snow Leopard version of iOS 8.
  • Reply 35 of 212
    So you get to have an obsolete design for a whole year while we enjoy the latest and greatest.

Don't you have an Android anyway?

No I don't.
    And why do you feel the need that you need to upgrade every single year? Is it a self worth issue like a new car every year in the 60's was?
    Also is the 5S that bad a product that you would name it a "obsolete design"? Is a Samsung form factor really that much better?
  • Reply 36 of 212
    rogifan wrote: »
    Whatever the issue is, Apple's iOS software needs work. Even updating to 8.1 I still have issues where I'll be typing something in Safari and the keyboard freezes and Safari crashes. This is on an iPad Air. On my iPhone 5s I have issues with my 3rd party Twitter app where sometimes it won't refresh or show conversations when I'm using wifi. If I turn wifi off it works just fine. I hope there is no iOS 9 and we get a Snow Leopard version of iOS 8.

My iPhone has yet to have a single issue with 8.1. My iPad occasionally locks up Safari, but it did that in 7 as well. Test selection is still a bit sensitive.

What I am having is the ridiculous storage consumption issue on my iPad, did it under 8 and does it still under 8.1. Where all your storage is slowly consumed by "other". I expect a fix ASAP because that's inexcusable. Not the only one this has happened to, Gruber's been reporting on it for a while. Just my iPad that does it.
  • Reply 37 of 212
    Any iOS developer or UX designer worth her salt would have hundreds of apps.

Someone who travels frequently on different airlines and using different hotels and car rental agencies would have quite a few, too
  • Reply 38 of 212
    pazuzu wrote: »
    No I don't.
    And why do you feel the need that you need to upgrade every single year? Is it a self worth issue like a new car every year in the 60's was?
    Also is the 5S that bad a product that you would name it a "obsolete design"? Is a Samsung form factor really that much better?

I don't upgrade every single year. I enjoy the new design for two years and then get the latest when the newer design is out.

It's not a Samsung form factor, looks more like the same form factor that debuted with the iPod Touch in...wait for it...2007.

The 5S is obsolete. No ApplePay NFC, last years chip, no RetinaHD display, no 802.11ac WiFi, no VoLTE support, no WiFi calling support, last year's camera...need I go on?
  • Reply 39 of 212
    My iPhone has yet to have a single issue with 8.1. My iPad occasionally locks up Safari, but it did that in 7 as well. Test selection is still a bit sensitive.

What I am having is the ridiculous storage consumption issue on my iPad, did it under 8 and does it still under 8.1. Where all your storage is slowly consumed by "other". I expect a fix ASAP because that's inexcusable. Not the only one this has happened to, Gruber's been reporting on it for a while. Just my iPad that does it.

Delete your emails.
  • Reply 40 of 212
    I don't upgrade every single year. I enjoy the new design for two years and then get the latest when the newer design is out.

It's not a Samsung form factor, looks more like the same form factor that debuted with the iPod Touch in...wait for it...2007.

The 5S is obsolete. No ApplePay NFC, last years chip, no RetinaHD display, no 802.11ac WiFi, no VoLTE support, no WiFi calling support, last year's camera...need I go on?

So next year when the 6 S gets released and has new stuff and you don't upgrade your phone will be obsolete.
    It all works out. Except I won't be a jerk and tell you that.

Meanwhile my 5S runs great and I have hundreds of apps.