iPhone 6 Plus users report persistent unexplained crashing issues, possibly tied to large app librar

Comments

• Reply 81 of 212
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member

Wow 9000 views and 60 replies out of millions of users are a big deal for AI.

• Reply 82 of 212
    lukei wrote: »
    @Slurpy. If that was the case then surely iTunes shouldn't allow libraries of a size it can't manage.

However (and this also @silvershadow) it isn't the iTunes 'engine' that is the issue because iOS Apps and Apple TV enable quick access. It is access and management of the library through iTunes that is slow and clunky. The interface speed and intuitiveness needs a full revamp. Perhaps some form of expert mode that strips it back to basics?

Itunes really is the basics. It is just a library (like a spread sheet) that keeps track of the the data you import. Even the metadata that you put in (album art, lyrics, TV or Move details) doesn't get looked up until you actually look at it. In which case, as long as you don't have some really serious computational tasks in the back ground it should be near instantaneous.

You can test this by running them in QuickTime. Also, your iOS Apps and ATV is loading your iTunes library before it can access anything. You may have a different problem. It really is instantaneous.
  • Reply 83 of 212
    Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

Please don't mind Slurply, he's a sanctioned troll on this site.

Oh, shut up.

• Reply 84 of 212

Oh, shut up.

I think 5000 of your 30.000 posts say that.

Edit: I could be underestimating. Just noticed that you have reached 36,000 posts. I'm sure most of them are...

"Shut Up!" or "Go Away!" That in and of itself is very alarming on a personal level.
  • Reply 85 of 212
    My iPhone has yet to have a single issue with 8.1. My iPad occasionally locks up Safari, but it did that in 7 as well. Test selection is still a bit sensitive.

What I am having is the ridiculous storage consumption issue on my iPad, did it under 8 and does it still under 8.1. Where all your storage is slowly consumed by "other". I expect a fix ASAP because that's inexcusable. Not the only one this has happened to, Gruber's been reporting on it for a while. Just my iPad that does it.

If you have access to itunes do a clean install. All your contacts and everything will still be there from the cloud.
  • Reply 86 of 212
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

Please don't mind Slurpy. he's a sanctioned troll on this site.

Itunes really is the basics. It is just a library (like a spread sheet) that keeps track of the the data you import. Even the metadata that you put in (album art, lyrics, TV or Move details) doesn't get looked up until you actually look at it. In which case, as long as you don't have some really serious computational tasks in the back ground it should be near instantaneous.

You can test this by running them in QuickTime. Also, your iOS Apps and ATV is loading your iTunes library before it can access anything. You may have a different problem. It really is instantaneous.

:) ref Slurpy. Like the other person who's just chosen to add his valuable input to this thread....

I have a 2011 Mac Mini (2.3Ghz I think, definitely with 8gig RAM) it only runs iTunes as my 'Server' and does nothing else except connect to the iTunes on my NAS. 

As an example on speed. If I type an artist name into the search box I then there is a noticeable delay before search results come. If I change the 'type' on files say from TV Show to Movie then I get the SPOD for at least 10 seconds.

I've rebuilt my library to try and solve it but same problem.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks!

• Reply 87 of 212
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    lkrupp wrote: »

These are probably the same asshats who complain that iTunes chokes on their 50,000 song libraries. My son had a roommate once who bought hard drive after hard drive and filled them up with pirated music. He had their DSL line saturated 24/7/365 downloading pirated music.

No reason why 50,000 or 5 million songs wouldn't work.
  • Reply 88 of 212
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    lukei wrote: »

:) ref Slurpy. Like the other person who's just chosen to add his valuable input to this thread....

I have a 2011 Mac Mini (2.3Ghz I think, definitely with 8gig RAM) it only runs iTunes as my 'Server' and does nothing else except connect to the iTunes on my NAS. 

As an example on speed. If I type an artist name into the search box I then there is a noticeable delay before search results come. If I change the 'type' on files say from TV Show to Movie then I get the SPOD for at least 10 seconds.

When it comes to Aplple I'm just an enthusiast.

I just tried it right now using an app called (remote pro) no affiliation. It shows results in real time as I type it's there.
    I'm using the 2012 Mac mini (the quad). It's headless (meaning it's connected to my 4k TV). It seems like there may be a latency between your connection. Also, if you don't have a guarded network others may be squandering your bandwith. It's hard to tell, but I don't think the hardware or software is at fault. First I would make sure no one is using your network. I'm not saying anyone is, but it should be instantaneous.
  • Reply 89 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lukei View Post

OT: 

I also have an iTunes library on an old (2009) Synology NAS connected via wired Gbit network.  I also get some lag and SPOD occasionally when using the Library stored on the NAS.  This is down to the speed of the NAS ( a little linux box with a slow CPU running RAID 5 in my case) and the network connection.   This might not be an issue with the more recent, faster NAS boxes.. 

If you store you iTunes library on your Mac's internal drive or on an externally connected drive (FW/USB/TB) you will see a big improvement in responsiveness with iTunes..  ymmv of course.  Keep your iTunes library local to the Mac and just back it up to the NAS nightly - I use SuperDuper! and schedule a nightly image backup of the Mac's drive to my NAS.

• Reply 90 of 212
    argonaut wrote: »
    OT: 

I also have an iTunes library on an old (2009) Synology NAS connected via wired Gbit network.  I also get some lag and SPOD occasionally when using the Library stored on the NAS.  <span style="line-height:1.4em;">This is down to the speed of the NAS ( a little linux box with a slow CPU running RAID 5 in my case) and the network connection.   This might not be an issue with the more recent, faster NAS boxes.. </span>

If you store you iTunes library on your Mac's internal drive or on an externally connected drive (FW/USB/TB) you will see a big improvement in responsiveness with iTunes..  ymmv of course.  <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Keep your iTunes library local to the Mac and just back it up to the NAS nightly - I use SuperDuper! and schedule a nightly image backup of the Mac's drive to my NAS.</span>

Thank you very much! Yes NAS could be the issue. I missed it the first time.
  • Reply 91 of 212
    700 is wildly excessive to me. I use my 32GB 5s an inordinate amount of time, have 179 apps but use roughly a third of those regularly. I do not know how anyone would have the time or need for 700 apps.

I'd be really interested to know if anyone here has anything close to that number of apps, what they are and how often they use them.
  • Reply 92 of 212
    Mine works. I've had it nearly a month and never had this problem. So....
  • Reply 93 of 212
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    bryantp wrote: »
    Mine works. I've had it nearly a month and never had this problem. So....

Works on your machine.
  • Reply 94 of 212
    Nothing new. I face that with iPhone 4/iOS 7 as well. I had around 500 apps installed and was low on space. Once I had to reboot or iPhone crashed or I drained batter it fell to loop and only solution was to reset it via itunes in load backup. I had to do that 3 times.
    And for those could not believe 500 apps I regularly watch discounted Apps and download some of them to review them latter. You fill up phone easily this way if do not have much time to review them.
  • Reply 95 of 212
    Have the same Problem - please Apple fix it - i am very disappointed
  • Reply 96 of 212
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

No one said you were stupid. It's just a fact of technology. I'm typing this response on my obsolete iPad Air, lol.

And I typed this reply on my obsolete 2008 24" iMac (Intel Core 2 Duo) running OS X Yosemite.

....Wait a second.... It works!  Not so obsolete, I guess.

ob·so·lete

adjective

no longer produced or used; out of date

• Reply 97 of 212
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member

I hope Apple can get at the root cause of the problem because no matter how insane it is to have massive numbers of apps on your iPhone the hardware and software should be able to handle it or fail gracefully ("no more apps for you!!!").

The thought of having 700 apps on a phone or tablet is quite amazing and entirely strange. My most app-filled iDevice, an iPad Air 128 GB, has 58 apps and this is because I'm too lazy to remove the ones I haven't used in months. My iTunes account on my Mac has 177 apps, some of which I really should purge and some of which are duplicates because they are not universal apps or are older versions needed for older devices that can't run the latest versions. But truth be told even caching these locally in iTunes is unnecessary because they are also in my iTunes/App Store account.

The only rationale I can think of for having a massive app cache on a device is if you don't have a local cache or don't trust your iTunes account to remember which apps you've purchased. Having 700 apps on a device is like wheeling around one of those huge auto repair garage style rolling tool chests just in case you might need one of the 700 tools that's squirreled away in one of the compartmentalized drawers.

These are apps we're talking about, i.e., things that require interaction and attention. If you sleep 8 hours a day you'd have something like 82 seconds a day to interact with each of your 700 apps. I can juggle something like ... one, and on a good day two ... highly interactive tasks effectively in my brain at a time. Even spread out over weeks or months that's still amazing. I have a large music cache on my iDevices because I treat it as my own personal music station and need it to work even when totally disconnected and not repeat the same songs too often.

My take on this is that we're talking about "App Hoarders" or maybe more politically correct, "App Collectors." Some people collect coins. Some people collect stamps. Others collect Star Wars action figures. Now we have people that collect Apps. With collectors (and hoarders) it doesn't have to make sense. That's just the way it is.

• Reply 98 of 212
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    I haven't upgraded yet - looking at iPhone 6 (not plus) - I have 247 Apps, almost 4000 songs, almost 7000 photos.

I do get some random crashing on my 5s - certain apps seem to be more likely to do so and most often just after launch - but they do not take down the entire phone. I am currently on 8.0.2 - 8.1 will go on over the weekend. Since updating to 8.x I have noticed that touch response freezes way more often than before 8.x - often the keyboard freezes during text input on web forums (often requiring Safari to restart which loses what I typed) and on one game I play often the touch sliding seems slower than on iOS 7 and occasionally stops for a couple seconds.
  • Reply 99 of 212
    Meanwhile Daniel E. Dilger continues his non stop attack on anything Android. We get it. You (Daniel) don't like Google/Android. And , frankly, when I compare my company issued Note 2 to my family's iPhones, I don't much like Android either.

But how about seeing if Daniel could actually spend that same energy looking at this issue with the iPhone 6? Or the battery issues with the iPhone 5? Or the connectivity issues with Macs upgraded to Yosemite?

Just once I'd like to see Daniel be as critical of the botched upgrades, orphaned ( way too soon) products and the apparent in general sloppiness afflicting the last bunch of Apple software products. Just once.
  • Reply 100 of 212
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Does the same thing happens on a 128G iPad Air (not a iPad air 2, it has 2G memory)

700 apps... and they are all free?... the ad retrieval must be a nightmare on those phones... probably runs out of memory space, caching, sorting the ad data for 700 apps.

how about getting rid of all apps that are free or at least all apps that are ad supported.( or "phone home" ) and see if the problem still exists.

or erase the list of apps that you have run... double click home buttom, swipe up, until all the list is empty...

does a hard reset mitigate problem? ... although i just "hard reset" my iPad Air, and checked the system status app, and the iPad is downloading data... so perhaps that is why it is stuck. ADS? (not my iPad, the afflicted iPhone 6+.)

700 apps lol ... when is the 256GB iPad arriving? LOL