iPhone 6 Plus users report persistent unexplained crashing issues, possibly tied to large app librar

Comments

• Reply 101 of 212
    People forget that these iPhones are really computers with a phone function. New or updated software often need tweaks to fix bugs before they run properly. I am sure Apple will figure out the problems and appropriately update the software. Patience is the word of the day.
  • Reply 102 of 212
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    I don't upgrade every single year. I enjoy the new design for two years and then get the latest when the newer design is out.

It's not a Samsung form factor, looks more like the same form factor that debuted with the iPod Touch in...wait for it...2007.

The 5S is obsolete. No ApplePay NFC, last years chip, no RetinaHD display, no 802.11ac WiFi, no VoLTE support, no WiFi calling support, last year's camera...need I go on?

Well in a way you both are right. I always get the first edition but the S get upgrated and betters the first editon but not by that much. But then if you have the S, it gets replace for the new first edition and get extremely upgrated. To each its own. I make my choices base on what i like and i like to enjoy my iphone from day one. If others feel that the S is worth waiting for and want to upgrade in between that is respectable. BTW I get new iphone every 2 years
  • Reply 103 of 212
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    kikius wrote: »
    Have the same Problem - please Apple fix it - i am very disappointed

Is it from so many apps being installed or them running in the background? Unlike desktop systems, you have to quit apps using the multi-tasking view. Every time an app is launched, it sits in that multi-tasking view until it is quit by the user, even after a reboot. Double-tap the home button to open that view and then swipe all the apps up to properly shut them down (might take a while for 700 apps but at least you can do more than one at a time now). You can also do a hard-reboot on top of that by holding the power button and home button in (push the power button slightly ahead of the home button) until it shuts down and keep them in until you see the Apple logo.
  • Reply 104 of 212
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by haar View Post

Does the same thing happens on a 128G iPad Air (not a iPad air 2, it has 2G memory)

700 apps... and they are all free?... the ad retrieval must be a nightmare on those phones... probably runs out of memory space, caching, sorting the ad data for 700 apps.

how about getting rid of all apps that are free or at least all apps that are ad supported.( or "phone home" ) and see if the problem still exists.

or erase the list of apps that you have run... double click home buttom, swipe up, until all the list is empty...

does a hard reset mitigate problem? ... although i just "hard reset" my iPad Air, and checked the system status app, and the iPad is downloading data... so perhaps that is why it is stuck. ADS? (not my iPad, the afflicted iPhone 6+.)

700 apps lol ... when is the 256GB iPad arriving? LOL

I hope you guys never work in software. Rule 1 - don't name the user. 

• Reply 105 of 212
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Is it from so many apps being installed or them running in the background? Unlike desktop systems, you have to quit apps using the multi-tasking view. Every time an app is launched, it sits in that multi-tasking view until it is quit by the user, even after a reboot. Double-tap the home button to open that view and then swipe all the apps up to properly shut them down (might take a while for 700 apps but at least you can do more than one at a time now). You can also do a hard-reboot on top of that by holding the power button and home button in (push the power button slightly ahead of the home button) until it shuts down and keep them in until you see the Apple logo.

Actually that is just not true. The list of apps is not a list of running apps but the last time you launched that app. Some of those apps might be still running, but most are not. The OS will quit background applications as memory pressure grows and not necessarily in the order that you launched them either. 

Apps which can do things in the background may keep running, however a lot of background apps are actually relaunched, not kept running to handle background events. Applications which need to know about changes in location will get these events when backgrounded, but are relaunched in the background ( in most cases) when needed. I tend to turn the vast majority of those apps off in general->background app refresh.

The problem here is probably springboard related. I would bet that these guys with 700 files are creating a lot of folders, and that might cause problems. 

• Reply 106 of 212
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    asdasd wrote: »
    I hope you guys never work in software. Rule 1 - don't name the user. 

odd, dont blame the user?. how does one debug a system?... YES IMO 700 apps is too much, and. apparently too much for a iPhone 6+. #fullgate, LOL

seriously, 500 apps that have ads in them, that is going to cause problems...

(of course, if they could fit 700 apps on a 64G iPhone, why did it not crash... so thinking about that makes me wonder it it is even true)

and what is the max number of apps that can be on an iPhone 64G?... and does that number crash the iPhone 6+ 128GB?...
  • Reply 107 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haar View Post

odd, dont blame the user?. how does one debug a system?... YES IMO 700 apps is too much, and. apparently too much for a iPhone 6+. #fullgate, LOL

seriously, 500 apps that have ads in them, that is going to cause problems...

(of course, if they could fit 700 apps on a 64G iPhone, why did it not crash... so thinking about that makes me wonder it it is even true)

and what is the max number of apps that can be on an iPhone 64G?... and does that number crash the iPhone 6+ 128GB?...

One debugs a system without blaming the user.

If the file system on the device can handle ( that is download) 700 apps then it should work. If not it shouldn't allow 700 apps to be downloaded. Ads have nothing to do with this, there is no indication that the apps are even running. 

• Reply 108 of 212
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I thought this was a FEATURE to make the Samsung switchers feel right at home.
  • Reply 109 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If only extensions to block advertisements existed...

If I use a browser on someone else's machine that isn't running AdBlock, it feels like I've stepped into Idiocracy.

Ow, my balls!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What possible use case of functions would require that many apps?

Somewhere, someone had a requirements conversation and decided that the user can install apps until they run out of storage. Now it becomes a test/fix problem. I'll bet that this bug was in the database before the phone shipped, and a Change Control Board (or similar) decided that the use cases were extreme enough to lower the the bug's priority.

Lesson: never underestimate the user's ability to push the corner cases of your requirements.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

Having 700 apps on a device is like wheeling around one of those huge auto repair garage style rolling tool chests just in case you might need one of the 700 tools that's squirreled away in one of the compartmentalized drawers.

Well, considering that it would be an exact copy of that tool chest, and it wouldn't take up any additional space or weight, why the hell wouldn't you carry it everywhere with you?

• Reply 110 of 212
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Don't blame the user? What?

Sometimes folks use systems and frameworks and doohickeys in ways in which they weren't designed to be used, or in ways which are so obscure, rare, and isolated from the norm, that the design of that system, framework, or doohickey, will inevitably fail the user.

[B]Murphy's Second Corollary[/B]
    [I]It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.[/I]

The OS X file system, for instance, can handle a situation in which nearly all hard drive space is used up. OS X won't prevent you from filling up your HD completely.

Try it.

Then report back on OS performance.

;)
  • Reply 111 of 212
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Just hope it isn't a "rushing-to-market-to-match-demand" quality issue...

"Apple is rushing to market"

"Apple took too long to make a phablet"

Both of these troll memes cannot be simultaneously true.

Actually, they could:  the latter is strategic, while the former is tactical and demonstrable, since we all know Apple is struggling to match demand, especially with the 'plus'.

However, I'm not really constrained by the dichotomy of your 'memes', since -

1) I only questioned the first;

2) I've never stated the second;

3) I'm not a troll (at least, not on this site ;-)  ).

• Reply 112 of 212
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    What's a 'trevail'? :rolleyes:
    Is this a spelling Bee?:rolleyes:
  • Reply 113 of 212
    This is another attempt to discredit Apple. Those who have over 700 apps installed deserve to have problems with their device.
    Normal people don't have over 700 apps installed on their device. Only totally crazy people do.
    On my old iPhone 5 I had about 70 (yes seventy, not seven hundred) apps installed.
    After getting my new 128GB iPhone 6 plus I installed only about half of those apps, since I have never used the other half.
  • Reply 114 of 212
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Don't blame the user? What?

Sometimes folks use systems and frameworks and doohickeys in ways in which they weren't designed to be used, or in ways which are so obscure, rare, and isolated from the norm, that the design of that system, framework, or doohickey, will inevitably fail the user.

Murphy's Second Corollary
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

The OS X file system, for instance, can handle a situation in which nearly all hard drive space is used up. OS X won't prevent you from filling up your HD completely.

Try it.

Then report back on OS performance.

;)

Performance is one thing. Repeating boot loops making that impossible to fix are another. And OS X does warn on low hard drive and swap space.
  • Reply 115 of 212

Why are so many people blaming the customer?

These folks purchased the most expensive brand new iphone and have accumulated a large collection of apps over the years.  By any measure they are the most ideal customers for apple.  They are the whales who are spending the most money on apples ecosystem.  Apple should love customers like this and could only wish that everyone installed 700 apps on the most expensive model of iphone.

It's surprising how many of you say that you can't imagine having 700 apps and that its crazy and not normal.  News flash! This just in.... some people are different than you.  Can you imagine that?  Can you imagine someone being different than you and having different needs and use cases?

If owning 700 apps is too many, why are there over a million different apps in the app store?  If nobody needs 700 apps, then why sell a million? What should the limit be?

While we are at it, how many songs, books, movies, photos, bookmarks, contacts, etc. should we be limited to?  What else should we not be able to collect?

• Reply 116 of 212
    Hi ! This is a software problem and I had it shortly after purchasing one of the first 128GB ipads (4)and moving above 110GB or so. I also must say that I'm an extreme user (10h per day as it is my principal work device as well). It actually might not be caused by 700 apps but already shows when you have several hundred apps homepage links on your desktop. It might also be related to the number of files you are storing in apps like Readdle Documents or PDF Expert (my max was around 30.000 files). I had so many reboots and failed reinstalls from my icloud backup, I couldn't even count them anymore. Nothing fixed it and Apple replaced my iPad4 several months ago (it now works fine with my son who has much less stuff on it). Before the replacement I reinstalled my icloud backup on an ipadMini Reting 128GB ...one problem was the backup was somehow corrupted and I lost a lot of files in some apps like Readdle Documents. The reboots stopped for a while but still happen fairly frequently and now that I only have 10-15GB in free storage left the frequency clearly has increased..I'm also very often seeing the generic destop icon instead of the proper app item after reboots when looking at apps. I'm now going to move to the the new ipad Air II in order to see if it makes a difference...I guess Apple needs to investigate this in depth..it might only affect a small number of super heavy power users but it thereby hits the most ardent supporters of the iOS platform which definitely is not good. I love iOS and I want to see Apple succeed but this performance is clearly subpar and I caught myself thinking about switching to MS Surface (or jarning for a Macbook Air Retina with touchscreen) several times before...
  • Reply 117 of 212
    Yeah if it were just storage then people could hit that limit with a few minutes of video.

It seems to be number of apps. If the reports are true
  • Reply 118 of 212

If Apple wants iOS to be the platfrom of choice for corporate users it needs to be able to take heavy workloads ...another option would be to restrict the number of apps, files ect. What however clearly is not acceptable that Apple sells a US$ 800-900 computer to you and it stops working when you fill it up. Nobody else offers 128GB on a tablet (safe Microsoft) ...if Apple can't make this amount of storage work for high end users, it should either fix the software or reduce memory to 96 GB!

• Reply 119 of 212
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

Why are so many people blaming the customer?

These folks purchased the most expensive brand new iphone and have accumulated a large collection of apps over the years.  By any measure they are the most ideal customers for apple.  They are the whales who are spending the most money on apples ecosystem.  Apple should love customers like this and could only wish that everyone installed 700 apps on the most expensive model of iphone.

It's surprising how many of you say that you can't imagine having 700 apps and that its crazy and not normal.  News flash! This just in.... some people are different than you.  Can you imagine that?  Can you imagine someone being different than you and having different needs and use cases?

If owning 700 apps is too many, why are there over a million different apps in the app store?  If nobody needs 700 apps, then why sell a million? What should the limit be?

While we are at it, how many songs, books, movies, photos, bookmarks, contacts, etc. should we be limited to?  What else should we not be able to collect?

How are you equating number of Apps for sale to App ownership?

How do you figure that number of Apps owned will rise in direct proportion to number of Apps for sale?    :???: 

• Reply 120 of 212
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

Whole different ballgame with such niche-use cases. 

Granted, repeating boot-loops are an extreme consequence, but to expect no consequences for using a system in ways that are way outside normal use cases is rather silly.