iPhone 6 Plus users report persistent unexplained crashing issues, possibly tied to large app librar

Comments

• Reply 121 of 212
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

Why are so many people blaming the customer?

These folks purchased the most expensive brand new iphone and have accumulated a large collection of apps over the years.  By any measure they are the most ideal customers for apple.  They are the whales who are spending the most money on apples ecosystem.  Apple should love customers like this and could only wish that everyone installed 700 apps on the most expensive model of iphone.

It's surprising how many of you say that you can't imagine having 700 apps and that its crazy and not normal.  News flash! This just in.... some people are different than you.  Can you imagine that?  Can you imagine someone being different than you and having different needs and use cases?

If owning 700 apps is too many, why are there over a million different apps in the app store?  If nobody needs 700 apps, then why sell a million? What should the limit be?

While we are at it, how many songs, books, movies, photos, bookmarks, contacts, etc. should we be limited to?  What else should we not be able to collect?

How are you equating number of Apps for sale to App ownership?

How do you figure that number of Apps owned will rise in direct proportion to number of Apps for sale?    :???: 

You are missing my perhaps poorly made point.  

I am trying to illustrate the flawed logic that owning and installing 700 apps is some how the customers fault.  Quite the contrary, that is a fantastic customer.  

If there is indeed a limit to the number of apps you can install within the storage space of the phone before the phone starts misbehaving, no big deal, just let us all know what that limit is. 

• Reply 122 of 212
    Quote:

Whole different ballgame with such niche-use cases. 

Granted, repeating boot-loops are an extreme consequence, but to expect no consequences for using a system in ways that are way outside normal use cases is rather silly. 

Who said there is an expectation of "no consequences?" The expectation is stability. 

This is a bug. It doesn't appear to be widespread. Those experiencing it seem to have a workaround. It's still a bug though.

• Reply 123 of 212
    Quote:

Quote:

It's surprising how many of you say that you can't imagine having 700 apps and that its crazy and not normal.  News flash! This just in.... some people are different than you.  Can you imagine that?  Can you imagine someone being different than you and having different needs and use cases?

Whole different ballgame with such niche-use cases. 

Granted, repeating boot-loops are an extreme consequence, but to expect no consequences for using a system in ways that are way outside normal use cases is rather silly. 

I agree 100% that these are use cases that are extremely rare and very far out in the tail of probability. 

The fact remains that these very few extreme use cases should not be blamed for being great customers and heavy users.  Like I just said above, if there is a limit its not a big deal.  Its just not ideal.

It would be like blaming all of this on apple because their "there's an app for that" ad campaign was too successful.  That is not logical thinking in my opinion.  

• Reply 124 of 212

I had the  same problem on the ipad 128GB and on the ipadMini Retina. Apple replaced one of the machines after it went into continous reboots...basically the amount of files on the machine must have killed the stability of iOS. The backup also was corrupted....of course I never received an explanation and the iPad Mini also keeps crashing several times a day. There is no fix. The problem already crops up when you have several hundred boomarks and apps....I also lost app icons (instead I see the generic developer app icon)

• Reply 125 of 212
    Quote:

I am trying to illustrate the flawed logic that owning and installing 700 apps is some how the customers fault.  Quite the contrary, that is a fantastic customer.  

If there is indeed a limit to the number of apps you can install within the storage space of the phone before the phone starts misbehaving, no big deal, just let us all know what that limit is. 

But owning apps and having those apps actually installed, are two different things. I own hundreds of apps, but they are not all installed at the same time. I'm apparently a great customer (by this standard, anyway), but how I manage my files is completely up to me. Including how my phone performs in light of my personal use case. I can't really blame a smartphone for kinda cocking up when it has to manage 700 apps. If it sounds excessive (and as far general use cases go, it is), then the chance that it'll start doing weird, unexpected things, will rise accordingly. 

How a customer manages their phone - how they might use or misuse it, is entirely their bag. 

Blaming the customer won't solve the issue from a bug-squashing perspective - it's another thing for Apple to potentially fix, but it certainly *is* the customer's fault. Maybe they don't know any better, but the way a system is designed is done so irrespectively of whatever number of far-out, ill-conceived, rationally unanticipated ways someone might try to use it. Not every use case can be accounted for. There's a certain design parameter, and then there's some built-in leeway, and then there's uncharted territory.

• Reply 126 of 212
    Quote:

Quote:

But owning apps and having those apps actually installed, are two different things. I own hundreds of apps, but they are not all installed at the same time. I'm apparently a great customer (by this standard, anyway), but how I manage my files is completely up to me. Including how my phone performs in light of my personal use case. I can't really blame a smartphone for kinda cocking up when it has to manage 700 apps. If it sounds excessive (and as far general use cases go, it is), then the chance that it'll start doing weird, unexpected things, will rise accordingly. 

How a customer manages their phone - how they might use or misuse it, is entirely their bag. 

I have a feeling that most good customers like yourself do manage their apps and don't experience these issues.

What we need to know is what is that upper limit of the number of apps you can comfortably have installed without showing these rare symptoms.

Could some of these people see phil shiller use words like "desktop class" when describing aspects of the phone and get confused that its still just a phone, and should not expect it to perform like a desktop.  I don't know, apple sells so many millions of phones and these cases are so rare that I guess anything is possible.  I just don't like blaming the customer is all. 

• Reply 127 of 212
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    bohler wrote: »
    I had the same problem on the ipad 128GB and on the ipadMini Retina. Apple replaced one of the machines after it went into continous reboots...basically the amount of files on the machine must have killed the stability of iOS. The backup also was corrupted....of course I never received an explanation and the iPad Mini also keeps crashing several times a day. There is no fix. The problem already crops up when you have several hundred boomarks and apps....I also lost app icons (instead I see the generic developer app icon)

Filesystems do have an inode limit for the amount of files they can handle. I suppose if each app had hundreds of internal files like icons, language files, other images resources then it could creep up quite high overall but I'd expect it to hold up to as much as OS X.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/LVM-and-VxVM/How-to-increase-inodes-on-HFS-filesystem/td-p/4052199
  • Reply 128 of 212
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Seven hundred apps? Am I the only one who thinks that's a little excessive?

I currently have 885 apps on my iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1.2. Yeah!! I would have more but my 57.1GB of available memory is, unsurprisingly, almost full (have deleted a fair number too, esp large file 3D games). And there's not much room for music! It does lag a bit sometimes, mostly when scrolling though app pages, though since I updated from iOS 6 to iOS 7. Excessive number, perhaps, but there are so many good apps!!! But most of all, my iPhone doesn't crash or reboot. I wonder if this is an iOS 8 issue, rather than specifically iPhone 6+?

• Reply 129 of 212
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ytsethunder View Post

700 is wildly excessive to me. I use my 32GB 5s an inordinate amount of time, have 179 apps but use roughly a third of those regularly. I do not know how anyone would have the time or need for 700 apps.

I'd be really interested to know if anyone here has anything close to that number of apps, what they are and how often they use them.

I somewhat doubt it's the literal number but instead the upped probability of having some apps that are really incompatible with the iOS 8.. Legacy software in the desktop world is a common issue. Anyone try and run an old version of Photoshop in Yosemite lately? Or Word 3.0? So why should some small shop developer's app necessarily run reliably on iOS 8.1? The chances go up as the collection grows right and so with 700 there's going to be conflicts, just like there would be with desktops and some old application program. "App" does stand for application right?

I've only a little over 160 and there's some that haven't been upgraded yet to iOS 8 that are trouble, an otherwise nice mapping app for Yosemite national park for one, I figure a real small shop who'll get around to it. When that happens I avoid the app, not the iOS (or the OS for that matter).

• Reply 130 of 212
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ytsethunder View Post

700 is wildly excessive to me. I use my 32GB 5s an inordinate amount of time, have 179 apps but use roughly a third of those regularly. I do not know how anyone would have the time or need for 700 apps.

I'd be really interested to know if anyone here has anything close to that number of apps, what they are and how often they use them.

I somewhat doubt it's the literal number but instead the upped probability of having some apps that are really incompatible with the iOS 8.. Legacy software in the desktop world is a common issue. Anyone try and run an old version of Photoshop in Yosemite lately? Or Word 3.0? So why should some small shop developer's app necessarily run reliably on iOS 8.1? The chances go up as the collection grows right and so with 700 there's going to be conflicts, just like there would be with desktops and some old application program. "App" does stand for application right?

I've only a little over 160 and there's some that haven't been upgraded yet to iOS 8 that are trouble, an otherwise nice mapping app for Yosemite national park for one, I figure a real small shop who'll get around to it. When that happens I avoid the app, not the iOS (or the OS for that matter).

This is a great point.  I had become fixated that it was the number apps installed.

It's completely logical that there is an increased chance that there is a bad acting app in there somewhere when installing so many.

• Reply 131 of 212
    fud....
    And exactly what is the internals differance between a 6 and. A 6 .....???
    Bendgate was bs and now this is another pathetic attempt by the competiotion !
  • Reply 132 of 212
    700 apps. Too lazy to tidy up. Cripes.
  • Reply 133 of 212
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What's a 'trevail'? image

Is this a spelling Bee?image

No it's not.

It's, however, symptomatic of the laziness in thought in your posts.

• Reply 134 of 212

I always thought that I was a hoarder, so I always buy the biggest device - that's why I bought an iPhone 6 Plus, but 700 or even 500 apps? That's crazy! How can anyone be sure that the issue is the raw number of apps and not just a few poorly built ones?

I am not going to blame these users for having 700 apps, but I will comment on the complaint that it is difficult to troubleshoot 700 apps. Each time I get a new device (or occasionally when I wipe the device), I re-start at ground zero and re-download the apps. I have hundreds of apps that I have accumulated along the way, but there is no way that I (or imo, anyone) actually uses them all. When bringing up the device, I add in the core group of apps that I know I use everyday and then load each other app as I need it. That way, I am not carrying a bunch of extra baggage on my iPhone (and I leave more space for music and video). Sure there is that odd time that I need to run an app that I haven't downloaded yet, but really, is it that random app really that necessary that you can't wait until you get home or find a wifi hotspot that you can download it from?

To me, these are the types of low level, insignificant bugs that slow down development on new cool features and real issues. I just can't feel bad for people that aren't willing to take a little time to try to troubleshoot a problem that can easily and logically be tested. To me, Apple is being extremely generous in actually swapping out hardware for such a nebulous issue.

• Reply 135 of 212
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    No it's not.

It's, however, symptomatic of the laziness in thought in your posts.

Not really- but your calling someone out on their spelling is more indicative and symptomatic of your own snarkiness.
    Everyone else here understood what my iOS spell check didn't catch.
  • Reply 136 of 212

My 6 Plus 128 GB works fine with over 200 apps. Never crashed or rebooted spontaneously.  Mine was also not one of the first batches of iPhones.  The only problem I had was the inability to sync apps over USB.  It would freeze after a few apps.  It only worked over Wi-Fi sync.  Odd behavior, but once all the apps were done over Wi-Fi, all the other media worked fine over USB.  That was with 8.0.2, so don't know if 8.1 fixed that since all my apps are already on the phone.

700 apps does seem excessive.  I could probably go through mine and weed some out.  Music, video and photos are more important to me.

• Reply 137 of 212
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

This is a great point.  I had become fixated that it was the number apps installed.

It's completely logical that there is an increased chance that there is a bad acting app in there somewhere when installing so many.

I've a research lab with a lot of legacy software so that issue is constantly coming up and it's immediacy is greater what with Yosemite's release... Plus I like that park map app and it's glitches at the moment are annoying.

• Reply 138 of 212
    Seven hundred apps? Am I the only one who thinks that's a little excessive?

You are not the only one....
  • Reply 139 of 212
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

These are probably the same asshats who complain that iTunes chokes on their 50,000 song libraries. My son had a roommate once who bought hard drive after hard drive and filled them up with pirated music. He had their DSL line saturated 24/7/365 downloading pirated music.

What do you define as the acceptable number of apps people should run on their iPhones to avoid the 'asshat' moniker?

• Reply 140 of 212

I just ordered my Space Gray 64g 6 Plus through T-Mobile... I'll let you know if I have any problems in roughly 8-12 weeks when I get it. ;)