Christian Bale confirmed to play Steve Jobs in upcoming biopic, to start shooting soon

13»

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 60
    I suppose you’re right; maybe I’m just too dry.
    Watch it again with a different mind set and you may quite enjoy it in a completely different way.

    If i may add my own two cents… The movie makes fun of how we place importance and value in things that are really not important or are inconsequential in life.

    Such as social status and the clothes we wear or the jobs that we have and the haircut we wear as well as maintaining our youth and good looks.

    If you like fight club and understood what that was going for, you should see that there is a lot of that in this movie.

    It also takes place in the '80's as you may well know, which has its political issues.

    There's a lot of that...wanting to break out and be different, special, and recognized. Also trying care about supporting issues or giving to charities and solving world peace and hunger but only for the recognition and appreciation one might get by doing so.

    There's a line he says with passion "because I just want to fit in!"

    Hilarious in a subtle way.

    Also he say "I am
    Completely not there" when talking about his humanity.

    Check it out. I may watch again tonight. Lol
  • Reply 42 of 60
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Anybody tired of Pazuzu's regular pollution of the forum are welcome to report the his posts to moderators.

    Behaviour like this drives away regular posters who are more interested in discussing Apple related topics than becoming involved in unnecessary, repeated, arguments and confrontations.

    Do your bit. Help clean up the forum for future generations.

    And don't forget to think of the children!

    ????
  • Reply 43 of 60
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Isaacson's Job biography was rushed and unpolished. For the movie to be worth watching or making, I would hope that more would be flushed out.

    Sorkin writes a pretty mean script. The Social Network was excellent.

    I would expect this film to be considerably better than other previous attempts about Mr Jobs.
  • Reply 44 of 60
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,232member
    That a very interesting and very true train of thought. Most actors are basically always the same in each movie. It is rare as you say to have one that vanishes behind the character. Some actors are specifically successful by always being the same, indeed i suspect writers actually write to the known character ... examples would range from Bruce Willis to Cary Grant. The audience would find Bruce not playing Bruce a let down (and he may have done of course and i just haven't seen it). Then there are those that are always the same and still can't act, like Arnold, but we love him anyway. :D
    Gary Oldman is the best at vanishing into characters. I wasn't sure what he even looked like until he was in that HTC commercial.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    "EVERYONE!!!"Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hexclock View Post



    Gary Oldman is the best at vanishing into characters. I wasn't sure what he even looked like until he was in that HTC commercial.

     

    Oldman is insane.

     

    That's the good insane. Not the bad insane.

     

    A few years ago I read an article that pointed out that, in all of the films that he had made, Gary Oldman had always done the accents of his characters flawlessly and that he had never, not once, used the same accent in any movie twice.

     

    At the time it was accurate. However, since then I've noticed that he has used the same accent once or twice.

     

     

    However, if you listen to his native accent on YouTube you've just got to have respect for the guy. He's a chameleon.

     

    And nobody could have played that role better in 'Leon: The Professional".

     

    "Manny, bring me everyone."

    "What do you mean everyone?"

     

     

    "EVERYONE!!!"

  • Reply 46 of 60
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,273moderator
    I think they'll manage to fit Bale into a close enough likeness and they can get away without the kind of imitation makeup job they did with Kutcher:

    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/51290/width/800/height/1000[/IMG]

    The 3 events are supposedly going to be the Mac, NeXT and the iPod. At the Mac event, Steve had long hair and no beard, NeXT was slightly shorter hair no beard though I'm not sure what event it would be:


    [VIDEO]


    The iPod was short grey hair with a short beard.
  • Reply 47 of 60

    This is going to be good, i have a feeling about it.

  • Reply 48 of 60
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

    Bale is a good actor and will do a good job in portraying S. Jobs.

  • Reply 50 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Off topic, but my mother thinks that movie is a comedy.

    To add to [@]SpamSandwich[/@]'s comments, there were several brilliant, dark comedies that were popular in American cinema within a year.



    This is a pretty good list of dark comedies that you probably won't go wrong with if you threw a proverbial dart. Some dudes, but I've seen about 80% of the 5 films listed and I'd only give a handful of them a meh rating.



    * The only book I've ever read that written better as a screenplay
  • Reply 51 of 60
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    To add to @SpamSandwich's comments, there were several brilliant, dark comedies that were popular in American cinema within a year.

     


    This is a pretty good list of dark comedies that you probably won't go wrong with if you threw a proverbial dart. Some dudes, but I've seen about 80% of the 5 films listed and I'd only give a handful of them a meh rating.




    * The only book I've ever read that written better as a screenplay



    I love all of those movies! 8-)

     

    Back on topic - I'm really starting to look forward to watching this biopic :)

  • Reply 52 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    moxom wrote: »

    I love all of those movies! 8-)

    Back on topic - I'm really starting to look forward to watching this biopic :)

    1) Definitely a good year for movies.

    2) A bit of a segue, but have you seen other films with Bale? Most notably, The Machinist (2004), where Bale lost an amazing and unhealthy amount of weight which could be useful for playing Steve Jobs towards the end. Coincidently, he reportedly llost all that weight by only eating apples.


    1000



    PS: Does anyone remember Christian Bale as a child actor starring in Stephen Spielberg's Empire of the Sun (1987)?


    1000


    (edit: Added images)
  • Reply 53 of 60
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post



    PS: Does anyone remember Christian Bale as a child actor starring in Stephen Spielberg's Empire of the Sun (1987)?

    Yes, an excellent movie and part of my collection. He's quite recognisable too even though a kid. Some people are like that, they don't change much in looks throughout their life. Other people are almost unrecognisable every 20 years.

  • Reply 54 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ascii wrote: »
    Yes, an excellent movie and part of my collection. He's quite recognisable too even though a kid. Some people are like that, they don't change much in looks throughout their life. Other people are almost unrecognisable every 20 years.

    I hate people like that: attractive people with no awkward stage¡

    Seriously though, most of us seem to have those awkward years. In film, what first comes to mind is Anthony Michael Hall who played Rusty Griswold in National Lampoon's Vacation (1983), who coincidentally played Bill Gates in "Pirates of Silicon Valley" (1999).
  • Reply 55 of 60
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,273moderator
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The Machinist (2004), where Bale lost an amazing and unhealthy amount of weight which could be useful for playing Steve Jobs towards the end. Coincidently, he reportedly llost all that weight by only eating apples.

    It doesn't seem like they're going to cover that period. Sorkin said that it's just backstage at 3 events - Mac, NeXT and iPod. No iPhone, no iPad. Maybe they want to build a character at key stages of his life - Steve Begins, Steve Returns, Steve Rises. The best one will be Steve V Superman though.
  • Reply 56 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Marvin wrote: »
    It doesn't seem like they're going to cover that period. Sorkin said that it's just backstage at 3 events - Mac, NeXT and iPod. No iPhone, no iPad. Maybe they want to build a character at key stages of his life - Steve Begins, Steve Returns, Steve Rises. The best one will be Steve V Superman though.

    Makes sense. The average person really only know about Apple and Jobs after the iPod became popular.
  • Reply 57 of 60
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    1) Definitely a good year for movies.



    2) A bit of a segue, but have you seen other films with Bale? Most notably, The Machinist (2004), where Bale lost an amazing and unhealthy amount of weight which could be useful for playing Steve Jobs towards the end. Coincidently, he reportedly llost all that weight by only eating apples.













    PS: Does anyone remember Christian Bale as a child actor starring in Stephen Spielberg's Empire of the Sun (1987)?











    (edit: Added images)

    I haven't actually watched The Machinist - I may well watch it tonight... :)

  • Reply 58 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    moxom wrote: »
    I haven't actually watched The Machinist - I may well watch it tonight... :)

    It's not a dark comedy, like the others mentions. I say that because it's often considered too depressing for most people's tastes, which is probably why it's not well known.

    Another, lesser known film of Bale, but mostly because it's low-budget, is dystopian, sci-fi film Equilibrium (2002). Although I have to assume that most here have not only heard of it but have seen it multiple times.
  • Reply 59 of 60
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post



    Another, lesser known film of Bale, but mostly because it's low-budget, is dystopian, sci-fi film Equilibrium (2002). Although I have to assume that most here have not only heard of it but have seen it multiple times.

    Another one I'll have to check out!

  • Reply 60 of 60
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Enjoyed The Machinist.

    Shame he has pulled out...
Sign In or Register to comment.