iPhone 6 Plus users report persistent unexplained crashing issues, possibly tied to large app librar

Comments

• Reply 141 of 212
    Isn't this complaint on every iphone? Might it be there using more then previous iphones 64 gb. Of course 60 comments it probably half the automatic complainers, and thousands of views attributed by news post like this.
  • Reply 142 of 212
    cm477cm477 Posts: 99member

Before you holier-than-thou's get all bent out of shape by us digital hoarders because you haven't downloaded too many apps beyond your initial Fart app, ask yourself what is the strength of iOS system? It is the quality and diversity of apps. There are so many quality apps that can be used every day or occasionally, since they fulfill some type of need. Since I doubt that anyone can point to any official Apple policy limiting the number of apps on an iOS device, there is no reason not to download apps that one may find useful, even if rarely used. 

I have hundreds of Apps on my iOS devices. This crashing problem started with iOS 7 on my iPhone 5S and iPad 3. With 7.1, the crashing problem was mostly gone on my iPhone 5S, and I don't recall my iPhone 6 crashing. My iPad was another matter. It kept crashing, but less so after 7.1. When I got my iPad Air, it too also started crashing, despite several restorations. I took it to the Apple store and they thought the crashing was linked to an app, but didn't know which one. They suggested I start from scratch and add back apps one by one. Right... I have hundreds of Apps all organized into folders and they expect me to waste days adding back and organizing apps. I convinced them to give me a  new iPad Air. for the first few days, it was crash free. Then it started crashing. Now it crashes on its own about once every 1-2 days. iOS 8 did not help. I restored over the air to force the apps to download from the iTunes store rather than from my iTunes backup, but that didn't help either. 

So for now I am just living with the crashing, realizing that Apple is not perfect, though we all wish it could be. Maybe I will start from scratch and slowly reload the apps, but I don't know. Since this is happening also on different devices, my guess this is a software issue that only comes up with "power" users with hundreds of apps. In case you think I am anti-Apple, I have been using Apple products since the Apple IIc, and I am proud to say that I rarely have to interact with Windows now. And I wouldn't know how to handle an Android if you gave me one. 

You may now go back to your Fart app. 

• Reply 143 of 212
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    If multiple phones isn't fixing the issue it isn't likely to be hardware. Especially since this is a scant number of complaints compared to the number of phones out there.

My brand new, never been dropped, spilled on etc iPad Mini 2 has had this issue a few times. Like maybe four times in the week I have owned it. I have about 300 apps on it, many of which haven't yet released an iOS 8 update. In truth I'm not really worried about it
  • Reply 144 of 212
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    cm477 wrote: »
    When I got my iPad Air, it too also started crashing, despite several restorations. I took it to the Apple store and they thought the crashing was linked to an app, but didn't know which one. They suggested I start from scratch and add back apps one by one. Right... I have hundreds of Apps all organized into folders and they expect me to waste days adding back and organizing apps.

I don't know why they don't let ordinary users access crash logs the way they do on OS X. If you setup your iOS device as a developer device, it will let you see the crash logs on the Mac and they can help diagnose the problem. Apple Genius bars can be trained to read what the logs mean. These logs can be accessed in some advanced settings panel somewhere. If the system is having problems, it will show in the log files and users can simply send them to Apple so that if necessary, they can resolve the problems in an OS update. They can format them differently than the OS X ones. Really they just need to highlight the crashed thread part as the likely reason for the crash.
  • Reply 145 of 212

I have an iPhone 6 with roughly ~75 apps installed and I HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS PROBLEM. And that was right when I was on a call (using a headset) and the phone was being charged (with an Apple charging cable). The phone rebooted and rebooted again and rebooted yet again - continuing in a loop until I held the power button until it shut off!

So this is not limited just to the iPhone 6 Plus in my opinion!

• Reply 146 of 212
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't know why they don't let ordinary users access crash logs...

What about the whole "Settings - About - Diagnostics & Usage - Diagnostic & Usage Data" thing?  (Note: I'm still on iOS7.)

On a slightly different note:

A Genius once counseled me to restart my 4S about once a week, to aid in keeping memory tidy.  And I have only a few dozen apps.  I wonder if the mega-collectors take any prophylactic steps such as this.

[edited for minor typo]

• Reply 147 of 212
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I was curious how many I had so went to settings and I have 523. Apple needs to figure out a good system for finding apps when you don't know the name. For apps that are rarely used sometimes they are hard to find. In OS X with all the sorting options in Finder with various option to tag apps might be a good idea. Spotlight is great when you know the name but if you don't know the name it can take longer than needed unless there is some secret I am missing. 

• Reply 148 of 212
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

I agree 100% that these are use cases that are extremely rare and very far out in the tail of probability. 

The fact remains that these very few extreme use cases should not be blamed for being great customers and heavy users.  Like I just said above, if there is a limit its not a big deal.  Its just not ideal.

It would be like blaming all of this on apple because their "there's an app for that" ad campaign was too successful.  That is not logical thinking in my opinion.  

Agree the users are 0% to blame, and all the posts that always crop up from Apple fans blaming Apple users are kind of comical to read.

This issue is a pretty minor one, and I'm sure Apple will fix it.  They just need to determine if it is an iOS compatibility issue, or if it is indeed related to memory/number of Apps.   If it is a number of Apps issue the fix is simple- determine the maximum constraint, add a 'buffer,' and then have iOS give you a warning that you've exceeded the maximum and you can't download any more without first removing some.

• Reply 149 of 212
    To all of those that think 700 apps is excessive, I have 833. I paid almost $1,000 for an unlocked iPhone 6Plus w/128gigs and I expect it to work. It does not work correctly and I am a big fan of Apple. Last time I check that there is no limit to how many apps one is allowed to have and if I am crazy enough to have that many apps and pay to have the memory to store them, then Apple should supply me a phone that works correctly.

My phone is constantly rebooting and is super slow to respond. I am not happy about that an I have an appointment with a genius on Monday. I will report back.
  • Reply 150 of 212
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    My 128GB 6 Plus did act erratically when I first got it. Rather than taking it to Apple, or complaining on a forum, I decided to do some basic troubleshooting. When I bought it, I set it up over the air from an iCloud backup, so the first thing I checked was to see if the problems stemmed from that. I erased the phone and set it up as a new device while physically plugged in to my iTunes library on my Mac. That went without a hitch, and I haven't had any problems since.
  • Reply 151 of 212
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

One debugs a system without blaming the user.

If the file system on the device can handle ( that is download) 700 apps then it should work. If not it shouldn't allow 700 apps to be downloaded. Ads have nothing to do with this, there is no indication that the apps are even running. 

I'm guessing its not the apps, but the type of apps. It is possible to fill your phone in a certain way to make it function really badly, I've done it. In fact,

I'm thinking the issue is that the space/system certain apps use after install.

I wonder? Are these phones full otherwise? Are they say within a few reported of being full. Then maybe the issue would be that the system is not reporting the space/resources used by these apps correctly and not leaving enough space for the phone's OS to store its own tmp files (not even sure it uses some).

Another possibility is that the high number of apps, just hits a kinda edge case bug that doesn't occur otherwise.

• Reply 152 of 212
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    Marvin wrote: »
    I don't know why they don't let ordinary users access crash logs...

What about the whole "Settings - About - Diagnostics & Usage - Diagnostic & Usage Data" thing?  (Note: I'm still on iOS7.)

I forgot about that. People experiencing these crashes should check in there to see if there are any long lists of crash logs.
    My phone is constantly rebooting and is super slow to respond. I am not happy about that an I have an appointment with a genius on Monday. I will report back.

Try checking the above location too, to see if you have any logs that suggest why it's crashing.
  • Reply 153 of 212
    700 apps? Wow! I only have about 120 and I thought that was a lot to keep track of? This is from about 5 years of accumulation too! No wonder it crash; try to index 700 apps and all!
  • Reply 154 of 212
    I have the iPhone 6 128 gb with 882 apps. My phone did this several times a day. After I called tech support, they thought they had it fixed, but it started again. Now doing it just 1-3 times a day, no pattern of what is causing it.
  • Reply 155 of 212

As inhumane as it sounds, I was happy to read about this old IOS 7 problem spreading beyond Ipads to the larger Iphone community, so that perhaps Apple can no longer ignore it.  The too-many-apps problem (I have 1100 and no game apps) first showed up when I upgraded my 128 GB Ipad v4 to IOS 7, that immediately triggered hourly rebooting of my Ipad and disabling of screen snapping.  Thinking it was hardware, and urgently needing my Ipad for stock trading, I rushed out and bought the new 128 GB Ipad v5 (the Air), and did a backup restore to it, but encountered the very same problem.  So for months I have suffered through hourly boots, where friends say "how can you take it, I would throw it out the window".  But my Ipad is very useful when it works.  In an Apple forum I found another professional with over 1100 apps in Germany, with the same problem.  I contacted my local Apple store here in Canada, and phoned Apple, but got no interest in my problem, only a suggestion to erase everything and load less apps.  My just-ordered 128 GB Ipad v6 ("Air 2") arrives Tuesday from China, and I am anxious to see if the problem ports over from the v4/v5, as I expect.  I am assuming this is a deep software bug triggered at boot time when IOS 7/8 loads an app directory/table of some sort, that overflows into other memory impacting other functions.  It is not a matter of any particular app, because the Ipad will reboot even if no app has been invoked and only Apple functions are involved, like switching tasks.  And I note as I delete apps, the Ipad behavior changes, as to when it crashes.  So in conclusion, I will only report back if I have no problems with the v6 chip upgrade.  Right now, I fully assume the problem will not go away until some future IOS release.  Note, I had the same large number of Apps on earlier IOS releases, up to IOS 6, with no problem...until the deadly IOS 7 came along).  Such a large waste of time.  Sigh.  Apple, please help.

• Reply 156 of 212
    This happenened to me. I had 103 apps installed (not 700) and after the 8.1 update my camera no longer worked (which was extremely annoying because I use it at work throughout the day) and trying to start the flashlight from control center crashed it and took me back to the home screen. I stopped at the Genius Bar after work yesterday and they tried erasing all content and settings and after that didn't work they replaced my phone. They also comped me for a screen protector since I had one on my old phone. Glad to have the camera back and all is good.
  • Reply 157 of 212
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    icloudt wrote: »
    Funny how the 6 isn't impacted. Surely there are many who have 700+ with 6's. I personally have 235 apps but rarely use half of them. Keep most around just for the heck of it.

Ya, I have maybe a bit more then that. I thought I had a lot which is normally true to everyone I know. 700+ is crazy. That's really almost 2 different apps a day for a year without using the same ones over. Crazy!!!
  • Reply 158 of 212
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jbdragon wrote: »
    Ya, I have maybe a bit more then that. I thought I had a lot which is normally true to everyone I know. 700+ is crazy. That's really almost 2 different apps a day for a year without using the same ones over. Crazy!!!

That's if they're a new user. If they had iPhones since the app store started in 2008 then it was quite easy to get 700 apps.
  • Reply 159 of 212
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    jbdragon wrote: »

That's if they're a new user. If they had iPhones since the app store started in 2008 then it was quite easy to get 700 apps.

Plus it's not all that important, the OS and storage should be able to handle it. If OS X started rebooting after installing a certain number of apps or a certain number of files, the appropriate solution would be for Apple to fix it, not for users to change their setup. Apple still needs data to be able to address it so they need crash logs if any are being generated or something they can use to replicate the problem.
  • Reply 160 of 212
    I think more than 60 people are having the same issue just that they didn't bother or didn't know there is such a post in the apple forum. I am suffering this non-stop resprint issue as well. Hope apple can fix it!
    Thanks appleinsider raising this issue to apple!