First-week OS X Yosemite adoption rate outpaces Mavericks, now at 12.8%

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    mobius wrote: »
    To do so would be pointless and a waste of time. Apple have dropped the ball and that's all I wish to say on the matter.

You just can't think of anything. Except for perhaps "new is bad".

Even if it's not perfect it's better than all that nasty gloss and skeumorphism. I cringe whenever I see iOS 6 or lower now. Reminds me of the iPhone baby teething toys I see.
  • Reply 42 of 72
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member

Yosemite has been okay but it has a few extremely annoying bugs. First and foremost is iTunes. No matter what Apple does to put lipstick on the iTunes pig it's still a pig. Each release they move a few things around or trim out something they don't think anyone will notice (like the sidebar) but it never gets more reliable or gets easier to use. The latest bug is that it loses connections to devices and no longer trusts them. Sometimes you'll get a trust prompt on the device and sometimes the device and Mac will start trusting each other again but usually they won't and you have to do a full restart.

These kinds of moronic behaviors that require system restarts are exactly what drove me away from Windows PCs, the quirks and oddities and stupidities start piling up as the code base becomes bloated and spaghetti-fied with each new feature. iTunes has turned into a bloated mess that's like having a Windows OS living inside an otherwise elegant Mac OS. It's been high time for Apple to blow up iTunes and start over again from scratch for several years but they keep layering bandaids on top of bandaids and now it's an unholy mess that is seriously detracting from the overall user experience. Why Apple has allowed this condition to persist is puzzling. It's probably a big steaming pile of code that's held together like a house of cards and nobody wants to touch it because it'll disrupt the next release date.

Having a single, massive application that serves as a one stop shop for media sharing to and from your devices doesn't make sense anymore. Device integration is ubiquitous and there's no need to funnel it all through a single application that accentuates the separation of the desktop OS from the device OS. It should be seamless and unified and inseparable. Today it's even bipolar in some areas like managing your books. Why do we have Books management inside iTunes and also have an iBooks app?  I hope that Apple realized that iTunes was a train wreck several years ago and has had a team working in parallel to kill and replace the current iTunes with something far better and befitting the rest of the integrated ecosystem they've created. Fingers and toes are crossed.

No amount of tweaking and lipsticking is going to make the current iTunes right. The pig must die. 

• Reply 43 of 72
    Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

To do so would be pointless and a waste of time. Apple have dropped the ball and that's all I wish to say on the matter.

Okay. You’re wrong, but whatever since you don’t care enough to elucidate your position.

• Reply 44 of 72
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mj web wrote: »
    Upgraded 27" i7 iMac (2009) and Macbook Air (2010) over Mavericks with no problem. Big fan of Yosemite's GUI. A vast improvement over Mavericks which I always considered in Beta.
    Interesting. I installed it on my Mom's 2009 White MacBook, and it's incredibly slow compared to Mavericks. I mean it's super slow. The lag time is staggering. Not sure what's the cause, the processor or the install. Fortunately, she's not doing anything that requires massive performance, and I'd rather her have full compatibility with iOS 8 on her iPhone and iPad. But still I'm a little concerned about the performance hit my 2011 MacBook Pro will take which is already running borderline of acceptable speed under Mavericks.
  • Reply 45 of 72
    magman1979 wrote: »
    There is nothing that looks like crap about iOS 7/8, nor Yosemite.

o ryl?

• Reply 46 of 72
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    o ryl?

[image]

1) How do you get to that option? When I go into Settings » General Background App Refresh I can turn it on/off without that warning.

2) That doesn't look good, but it also looks like the text size for the system has been increased.
  • Reply 47 of 72
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Interesting. I installed it on my Mom's 2009 White MacBook, and it's incredibly slow compared to Mavericks. I mean it's super slow. The lag time is staggering. Not sure what's the cause, the processor or the install. Fortunately, she's not doing anything that requires massive performance, and I'd rather her have full compatibility with iOS 8 on her iPhone and iPad. But still I'm a little concerned about the performance hit my 2011 MacBook Pro will take which is already running borderline of acceptable speed under Mavericks.

Has that thing ever been reformatted, or has it been upgraded each time all the way from Snow Leopard?
  • Reply 48 of 72
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Has that thing ever been reformatted, or has it been upgraded each time all the way from Snow Leopard?
    Upgraded. Good point. Perhaps I should back it up with Time Capsule, reformat, then restore from the backup.
  • Reply 49 of 72
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I hear you, Yosemite's response time seems to lag a little. My speculation is the OS will grow speedier as the cache begins to bolster apps. I'd also hope future updates address lag time. I don't believe the lag time is connected to upgrading over Mavericks, I think its characteristic of Yosemite. 

• Reply 50 of 72
    I downloaded Yosemite onto a flash drive to upgrade multiple Macs. This saves a lot of time. I have late 2009 27" iMac (2.8ghz i7) that is my main computer. Last time, I did a clean install with Mavericks, and had all sorts of issues with Aperture not referencing the photos on my drive. This time, I copied Yosemite over the older system. No problems. In fact, my Mac boots up faster and has a lot more snap to it. Very happy with Yosemite so far.
  • Reply 51 of 72
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    o ryl?

OK, that's a new one I didn't see before, so I'll give you that.

My statement did however reflect the general look and feel of the OS's, which I find refreshing, and urban. There are a few other graphical anomalies in iOS 7/8 that need work, but so far Yosemite seems quite good.
  • Reply 52 of 72
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Part of the reason maybe that Mavericks wasn't that great a product and people want to move on- at least that was my scenario.
    And Yosemite is much much better and recommendable except for the tiny red yellow and green dots..

Mavericks was a very solid OS X release, which only had issues with Mail that were mostly fixed by 10.9.2.

pazuzu wrote: »

The tiny colored dots are too hard to click on and yes look "crappy". They either need a border or a different hue,

Funny, I find it no more difficult clicking those buttons than in Mavericks, or any previous OS X, because despite their new look, they're actually the same size as before, at least on my 2011 MBP.
  • Reply 53 of 72

I wonder if 10.11 will be a streamlining OS like Snow Leopard was. They’re slipping a bit on action times.

• Reply 54 of 72
    There is plenty.
    No, there isn't "plenty", just a few minor things here and there.overall both systems are excellent and the look is great.
  • Reply 55 of 72
    So in other words you have nothing to say and are just blowing smoke and spreading FUD, you are now allowed to leave.
  • Reply 56 of 72
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    sflocal wrote: »

After the first download, I immediately made a bootable OSX USB.  I have multiple macs here at home and at the office and it just made more sense to keep an offline copy.  It really speeds things up.  I've been doing this for the past few OSX releases.  It just takes too long to download, especially in the beginning when we all know a gazillion people are trying to download it as well.
    Ditto. It's the only way to do it. And at the end of it you have a recovery disk from which you can start your machine if you ever experience problems (not happened to me for the years I've been using this method)
  • Reply 57 of 72
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member

Others have agreed that the red, now yellow/orange barf, and green buttons are too small and the pastel colors are annoying.  The green button used to resize a window based on contents, now goes full screen mode.  Now you have to click and drag the window to adjust the size, rather than the one-click of the green button.  The all-white and completely flat look is irritating.  The new white text for desktop items completely washes out if you have a background with light or white colors in it.

The fonts in iTunes 12 have become smaller, even when large text is selected in preferences, making it harder to read.  The new Get Info box in iTunes 12 is so plain it is not clear where the text fields are, or what you can modify.  Pressing Return no longer closes the Get Info box if you are in a text field.  You now have to use the mouse to click OK, or tab to a magical field that will let the Return button close the window (even though the OK button is highlighted in blue to indicate that Return will close the window).  The iTunes Store homepage is gone, so now it is limited to only the type of media you are currently browsing in iTunes.  It takes multiple clicks to find what you are searching for.

The new Finder icon in the dock looks like it was drawn by a 1st grader.  The sidebar transparency can get annoying with changing colors, and turning it off in System Preferences makes it much too white to be pleasant on the eyes.  The bright blue folder color seems out of place with all the other colors which are all dull in appearance.  The new Spotlight search window is missing a close box.  It is not obvious how to close the window  if you decide you do not need to do a search.  How many would know to click the Spotlight icon in the menu bar again to hide the window?  When your workflow involves moving documents between multiple folders to begin and complete your work, the requirement to press the Command key to open a folder in a new window is not efficient (thanks Mavericks).  Would be nice to have the preference restored as it was in Mountain Lion and earlier.  You have the option to hide all the tags in the Finder windows if you choose not to use the feature, but you don't have the option to double-click a folder to open in a new window, like all computers had been for 30 years.  Odd that Apple forces you to work one way, but gives the option to hide or show a feature in other ways.

The Apple Maps app is still a baby app.  It gives you a warning about driving safely when you enter directions...while on a desktop computer, not driving.  It does not offer alternative routes.  The traffic display of tiny red dots are practically invisible.  

The FaceTime app does not allow access to your custom ringtones in iTunes.  So your iPhone will ring with your custom tone, but the Mac will ring with an annoying Apple tone.  The tones are stored here: Macintosh HD/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ToneLibrary.framework/Versions/A/Resources.  Dropping in a custom tone in the Ringtones folder will not allow FaceTime to access the file.  Changing ownership to System and Wheel did not work either.

Is Yosemite better than Mavericks?  Yes.  Mail works, unlike Mavericks.  Mavericks did not add any compelling features that were worth upgrading to.  Mavericks was like Lion, most people skipped Lion and installed Mountain Lion, which fixed a lot of Lion's problems.  Yosemite offers far more compelling features at the expense of an all-white UI with poor color choices.  The UI across the entire OS is inconsistent in many ways.  Getting rid of the 3D dock was about the only decent change.  I like Yosemite better than Mavericks (for the short time I used Mavericks, and went back to Mountain Lion for better software compatibility and UI features), but not really a fan of the all-white UI.

• Reply 58 of 72
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Mail works, unlike Mavericks.

Why not stop whining about Google’s inability to follow standards?

• Reply 59 of 72

Yosemite is great... except for...

Seems there are some network problems that have persisted since Yosemite Beta 1 for me.

Use of wireless network is balky, especially with Safari.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

• Reply 60 of 72
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Mavericks was a very solid OS X release, which only had issues with Mail that were mostly fixed by 10.9.2.

Funny, I find it no more difficult clicking those buttons than in Mavericks, or any previous OS X, because despite their new look, they're actually the same size as before, at least on my 2011 MBP.

You know it's funny on my MBP Retina I have no problem but on my iMac they get lost. I think Yosemite was designed for HD and will look amazing on the 5K iMac- not so on the regular iMac.