Apple CEO Tim Cook visits Foxconn iPhone factory on China 'road trip'

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 98
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Let's say that I have better sources than you and leave it at that. Why do you think the products Apple makes here also happen to be the low volume ones? It's because those are the only ones that can be produced here with the limited talent base.

There are millions of jobs in the US unfilled because there is a shortage of skilled labor

Factory jobs are not necessarily skilled labor.    Is there a shortage of highly qualified engineers, chip designers and high-level programmers?  Sure.   Toolmakers?  Sure.    But factory workers who mainly do assembly.   That's not an issue.

The reason why Apple chose a low-volume product to produce here is because this isn't about any great desire on Apple's part to produce products in the U.S.   It's about being politically correct (which is fine) and because they didn't want to spend a lot of money on a huge factory.

• Reply 82 of 98
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    roake wrote: »

I am a physician who works in a burn unit.  I have some small clue here.

Good for you, hope I never get burnt where you work then.
  • Reply 83 of 98
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    zoetmb wrote: »
    Factory jobs are not necessarily skilled labor.    Is there a shortage of highly qualified engineers, chip designers and high-level programmers?  Sure.   Toolmakers?  Sure.    But factory workers who mainly do assembly.   That's not an issue.

The reason why Apple chose a low-volume product to produce here is because this isn't about any great desire on Apple's part to produce products in the U.S.   It's about being politically correct (which is fine) and because they didn't want to spend a lot of money on a huge factory.

Steve Jobs: "Those jobs are not coming back." He actually misspoke, for brevity, I'm sure: those jobs were never in the US in any great number in the first place.

I don't remember the actual figures he used, but I think it was something like 400,000 factory jobs are on Apple products, but more important, he said, were the 30,000 production engineers needed to set things up for those workers and keep the lines running. The US has no reservoir of experienced engineers who have been working with microelectronics for two generations now. All that belongs to Asia. You don't mention this.

The US threw in the towel very early in the solid-state electronics revolution in mass consumer products, while the Japanese, then the Taiwanese and Koreans and now the mainland Chinese built on each others' experience for going on 50 years now. That's the reality. Only a massive government-led investment in a leading new technology—the way the Asians do and did—will keep the US competitive.

Or maybe Apple will soon have enough capital to back a new domestic technology one of these years. My impression is that they would like to, in contrast to your impression.
  • Reply 84 of 98
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Steve Jobs: "Those jobs are not coming back."

Other jobs are coming back. Jobs pertaining to the oversight of the machines that will do the jobs we used to do.”

Or maybe Apple will soon have enough capital to back a new domestic technology one of these years. My impression is that they would like to, in contrast to your impression.

I’d sure like it if they did.

• Reply 85 of 98
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    The sapphire story just put up here on AI might be an example of Apple bankrolling a new domestic technology.

The US has kept current in crystal growing since the days of making silicon for Touch-Tone phone oscillators in the 60s, as far as I know.

Now if only IGZO had been invented here . . . Just kidding.
  • Reply 86 of 98
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    roake wrote: »

In any case, he is now the second person on my block list.  It's an exclusive list.  Congrats!

I'm up to 4 or 5 I think. It's just a shame that the block doesn't apply when other people quote them so you will still often see posts you'd rather not!
  • Reply 87 of 98
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

There are millions of jobs in the US unfilled because there is a shortage of skilled labor.

Yes, and the situation is not getting better yet, for a number of reasons.

• Reply 88 of 98
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    droidftw wrote: »
    Foxconn workers also line up to jump off the building to commit suicide to raise awareness of the shit conditions and end their miserable lives.  What was Foxconn's solution?  You may guess that it's treat the workers better, but nope, their solution was to build a net so people can't jump off the roof to commit suicide anymore.

Anyone here defending the most well known sweatshop on the planet (and there seems to be quite a few of you in this thread) must really have their heads in the sand to not see Foxconn for what it is.

Suicide rate per 100,000 is greater in the U.S. (and much of Europe and Japan) than that of PRoC therefore the U.S. is a sweatshop and Tim Cook should disassociate himself and Apple from the U.S. et al.
  • Reply 89 of 98
    A friend of mine has a small factory in Shenzhen that makes mirror frames and other wooden things. He pays twice as much as Foxconn but has a hard time finding workers as it's just much cooler to build iPhones than wooden frames.
  • Reply 90 of 98
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Suicide rate per 100,000 is greater in the U.S. (and much of Europe and Japan) than that of PRoC therefore the U.S. is a sweatshop and Tim Cook should disassociate himself and Apple from the U.S. et al.

You're neglecting the countless other worker/human rights violations that Foxconn commits.  Things such as child labor, unreasonably long hours, unsafe working conditions and insufficient overtime pay.  Your analogy is as odd as the person trying to relate nets on the Golden Gate Bridge to Apple.

Err, wait.  Did I say child labor?  I meant "student interns" *wink wink nudge nudge* ;) 

• Reply 91 of 98
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    You're neglecting the countless other worker/human rights violations that Foxconn commits.  Things such as child labor, unreasonably long hours, unsafe working conditions and insufficient overtime pay.  Your analogy is as odd as the person trying to relate nets on the Golden Gate Bridge to Apple.

Err, wait.  Did I say child labor?  I meant "student interns" *wink wink nudge nudge* ;)  

Actually I was using your analogy to mock your use of hyperbole while taking yourself so seriously.
  • Reply 92 of 98
    rot'napple wrote: »
    Meet some frickin' iPhone 6 plus talent and crack that whip, authorize OT and get them things produced! Been waiting since Sept. 12th! : ) </sarcasm>

Just bend your current iPhone with some machinery and you can pretend you've got an iPhone 6 Plus now.
  • Reply 93 of 98
    Probably dropped off a couple pallets of Red Bull to help them build the things faster. :D

That is so politically incorrect on so many levels I had to laugh ... SNL standard. :D

How so?

Red Bull used to give me a big boost, so it would be well-advised for Apple to prescribe it for their Foxcon minions. It should probably be mandatory, in light of the slow production.
  • Reply 94 of 98
    apple ][ wrote: »

Foxconn workers also line up to jump off the building to commit suicide to raise awareness of the shit conditions and end their miserable lives.  What was Foxconn's solution?  You may guess that it's treat the workers better, but nope, their solution was to build a net so people can't jump off the roof to commit suicide anymore.

Anyone here defending the most well known sweatshop on the planet (and there seems to be quite a few of you in this thread) must really have their heads in the sand to not see Foxconn for what it is.

That suicide stuff is a bunch of baloney.

It has been shown before and proven that the suicide rate for Foxconn was lower than that of many other groups!

Foxconn has a huge amount of workers. Are a few of them going to off themselves every once in a while? Sure! That's completely normal and completely within the statistical norm. It's a non issue.

The day that suicide is a non-issue is the day that the devil has conquered the world.
  • Reply 95 of 98
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Just bend your current iPhone with some machinery and you can pretend you've got an iPhone 6 Plus now.

Don't own an iPhone to bend.  Yet.  Haven't since it was introduced back in '07 when MS's Ballmer laughed at it, Palm CEO said computer guys weren't going to walk in and figure this out, when Google changed Android OS from a BlackBerry competitor designed OS for Google version of BlackBerry phone to Android copying Apple OS for Google version of iPhone.  And I don't settle for Samsung… go out and merge a toaster with your refrigerator, Samsung, if you want to discuss the next big thing is already here.  

The stars have all aligned to make this the year and iPhone 6 plus THE phone.  Now, if one can only find one!  I'd pre-order but by the time it arrives, Apple by that time should be meeting demand and have availability in their stores if their iPhone 5S history is any indication.

• Reply 96 of 98
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Yep, suicide is totally an economic decision.

Good point. It feels like we've outgrown this, but even here in Austin, so much of what we have revolves around keeping the tech workers working on tech. We just accept it because we can drive Teslas and dig swimming pools in our yards (e.g. not complaining here!). We've simply moved beyond the industrial form, and much of what we have was built on the backs of the folks who shopped at a factory commissary.

Doing a quick GIS of "foxconn worker," I think you may have a point. No earrings anywhere. She's probably site leadership? Pretty common to stage some stuff for bigwig visits though.

Yeah. It could be.

• Reply 97 of 98
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

You are a heartless human being to say a dumb statement like that Why don't you work in Foxconn and see how it is there.

• Reply 98 of 98
    ingsocingsoc Posts: 212member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

The day that suicide is a non-issue is the day that the devil has conquered the world.

I don't know how you can interpret that the message you quoted was suggesting that suicide is a non-issue. That's an enormous leap to make. I think the original message was simply talking about retaining some sort of context.

What I find interesting is that the focus here seems to be entirely wrong; many people ignore the enormously worse conditions present in garment manufacturing in Bangladesh for example, where entire buildings have collapsed and killed many workers. There's a hugely skewed focus happening here I think.