Apple grants iPads, Macs, Apple TVs, more to 114 US schools in ConnectED initiative

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2015
As part of its participation in President Barack Obama's ConnectED technology in education program, Apple is giving its latest hardware, as well as services and infrastructure, to 114 schools across the U.S.

Breakdown of schools receiving Apple ConnectED equipment and services.

According to Apple's dedicated ConnectED webpage, a sub-listing under the Apple Education umbrella, the company says it will provide hardware, software and services support to 114 school in 29 states.

Packages will be meted out using the government's free or reduced-price lunch program as a barometer for need. Apple says it chose schools in which 96 percent of the student body qualified for the lunch program, ensuring help for some of the most economically challenged learners in the country. A breakdown of populations at partner schools shows 92 percent of students are Hispanic, Black, Native American, Alaskan Native, or Asian.

Under Apple's grant terms, students at selected schools receive an iPad, while administrators and teachers get both an iPad and a Mac to create classwork and offer support. Additionally, every classroom is outfitted with an Apple TV, which can be used to display lesson content via AirPlay. Each partner school will also be assigned an Apple Education team to help integrate the advanced learning tools into existing curriculum.

Apple is also working with educational software suppliers to deliver high quality instructional content and has partnered with Wi-Fi service providers like AT&T and Sprint to connect classrooms to the Web, one of the main tenets of President Obama's ConnectED initiative.

Earlier this year, Apple confirmed it was participating in the ConnectED program, with subsequent reports claiming the company pledged $100 million worth of products for rollout.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54

4% to Native Americans? That's more than ridiculously low.

• Reply 2 of 54
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I naturally oppose such initiatives.

The $100 million could be better spent elsewhere (add it on to the stock buyback amount for example), and this program seems quite discriminatory and racist, though that doesn't surprise me one bit, given the name that is attached to this program.

• Reply 3 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The $100 million could be better spent elsewhere (add it on to the stock buyback amount for example), and this program seems quite discriminatory and racist, though that doesn't surprise me one bit, given the name that is attached to this program.

As far as the free lunch program definition goes, I know for a fact lots of schools, when they reach a certain threshold, just give free lunch to everyone. (why not, it's only hard working people's money)

This gets them good PR with the people who seem all too happy to sic the DOJ on them when Bezos cracks the whip. Think of it as slightly more expensive lobbying, it helps make it seem more reasonable.

• Reply 4 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

This gets them good PR with the people who seem all too happy to sic the DOJ on them when Bezos cracks the whip. Think of it as slightly more expensive lobbying, it helps make it seem more reasonable.

Maybe Tim Cook will get another invite to a state of the union speech. Hopefully the 100 million is worth it to him.

• Reply 5 of 54
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Ha, some Verge posters were saying Apple should just donate money so schools can purchase cheaper Windows and Chromebook devices. :lol:
  • Reply 6 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ha, some Verge posters were saying Apple should just donate money so schools can purchase cheaper Windows and Chromebook devices. image

Then they'd have to give twice as much for the inevitable tech support needs.

From what I've seen, only administrators and teachers think Chromebooks are a good idea. Students pick the iPads every time.

• Reply 7 of 54
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Maybe Tim Cook will get another invite to a state of the union speech. Hopefully the 100 million is worth it to him.

You'll love this :D

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-ceo-challenges-home-state-190255193.html
  • Reply 8 of 54
    Quote:

This is where I can say "Steve never would have done that" and be accurate. And TBH, Cook shouldn't be involved either, unless he wants to fly out and hand out leaflets himself. Apple has no business in this.

• Reply 9 of 54
    Quote:

He's entitled to his views!

At least that doesn't involve giving away a hundred million dollars!

To be honest, I don't really give a crap about what gay people do, as long as they don't get any extra rights compared to normal people.

• Reply 10 of 54

This is where I can say "Steve never would have done that" and be accurate. And TBH, Cook shouldn't be involved either, unless he wants to fly out and hand out leaflets himself. Apple has no business in this.

Agreed I'd like Cook to stay out of politics. And I'd say the same if it was something I supported.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    apple ][ wrote: »
    He's entitled to his views!

At least that doesn't involve giving away a hundred million dollars!

To be honest, I don't really give a crap about what gay people do, as long as they don't get any extra rights compared to normal people.
    Seems to me as the CEO of Apple Cook would have more important things to worry about.
  • Reply 12 of 54

Tim Cook really should resign from Apple and become a politician, as that's the thing that fires him up the most.

Craig F. should take over.

• Reply 13 of 54
    Quote:

Seems to me as the CEO of Apple Cook would have more important things to worry about.

Yes, I would surely hope so.

• Reply 14 of 54
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator

The numbers should roughly follow the population (or rather the breakdown in the low income areas).

USA = 63% white, 17% Hispanic, 14% Black, 5% Asian, <1% Native American.

The schools get the grants so the devices will be available to all the students at those chosen schools, the ethnicity breakdown is just the ratio that those schools have overall.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    Quote:

Agreed I'd like Cook to stay out of politics. And I'd say the same if it was something I supported.

Yeah. Imagine if Tim Cook actively campaigned for and came out in support of the second amendment. I bet that quite a few people would have a problem with him then.

• Reply 16 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Quote:

The numbers should roughly follow the population (or rather the breakdown in the low income areas).

USA = 63% white, 17% Hispanic, 14% Black, 5% Asian, <1% Native American.

The schools get the grants so the devices will be available to all the students at those chosen schools, the ethnicity breakdown is just the ratio that those schools have overall.

So these schools are mostly made up of minority, poor people.

Seems to me these schools should be using pencil and paper.

Moral of the story: under Tim Cook's new, discriminatory regime, if you want free Apple gear, marry a poor, minority person.

• Reply 17 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

My bet is that the "$100 million worth" is based on expected retail value, not how much it's costing Apple. I would say it's between $30M and $60M when you take out the margins as an OEM and as a retailer.

Quote:

From what I've seen, only administrators and teachers think Chromebooks are a good idea. Students pick the iPads every time.

My kids go to a school that has both. They and their friends generally prefer Chromebooks because they can get their work done faster with a physical keyboard. At home, they'd rather grab one of our iPads.

• Reply 18 of 54
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Tim Cook really should resign from Apple and become a politician, as that's the thing that fires him up the most.

Craig F. should take over.

I'm not convinced Craig Federighi is CEO material.  Scott Forstall OTOH....

• Reply 19 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

My bet is that the "$100 million worth" is based on expected retail value, not how much it's costing Apple. I would say it's between $30M and $60M when you take out the margins as an OEM and as a retailer.

You're probably correct. It's not so much the dollar figure that I'm opposed to of course. Apple has plenty of pesos. It's the principle of the thing.

• Reply 20 of 54
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

This is why Apple is a better company now under TC than it ever was. You miserable chaps MUST let go of the Steve Jobs era. Apple is very different now and can afford to help out. For a company of Apple's size and wealth to invest in the future of the country that has served it so well should be expected, and I hope other hugely successful companies follow suit. 

Don't forget that in the long run this will probably profit Apple. The marketing value, the fostering of goodwill and loyalty are important elements to future growth. 

Personally I think you are bunch of privileged curmudgeons and that this initiative from Apple needs no explanation or justification. It is one of the reasons Apple is great.