In-depth review: Apple's iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 80
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    So security and convience isn't worth $100?

Plus cheaper ram upgrades for 64 and 128 GB models?

No Touch ID is not worth $100 to me. I love it on my Air 2 but I wouldn't spend $100 for it. Where's the price cut on the 16GB mini 2? Oh right there isn't one because these days at Apple its about upselling you to something more expensive.
  • Reply 62 of 80
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend the first gen Mini to anybody either! Especially when the the retina Mini is only slightly more!

But it doesn't bother me that it's still available! If somebody wants to buy it, then go for it!

It should bother you that Apple is still selling a non-Retina A5 powered iPad. Apple used to be about simplicity; there is nothing simplistic about the iPad lineup. The only reason the 1st gen mini exists is to upsell you to the mini 2. And the mini 3 is there to upsell you to an Air 2.
  • Reply 63 of 80
    wisely wrote: »
    Another major plus which is not realised yet, there is so much untapped power in iPad Air 2 that I think we will see more powerful and innovative apps going forward. Apple packed so much power in the form of A8X and 2 gb RAM probably because they have plans in store for power and corporate users.

This is the kind of stuff we need to hear about, not the camera. I'm surprised Apple didn't dedicate more time to what the A8X means to consumers and businesses. Like how about a demo with a custom app they designed with IBM?
  • Reply 64 of 80
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

It actually doesn't bother me really.

Apple has always been about upselling for as far back as I can remember.

I remember shopping for an Apple laptop more than a decade ago, and it was so damn hard to choose between the models, because the lower ones were kind of gimped, so you just resort to spending slightly more, to get the one that you really want.

• Reply 65 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisely View Post

Another major plus which is not realised yet, there is so much untapped power in iPad Air 2 that I think we will see more powerful and innovative apps going forward. Apple packed so much power in the form of A8X and 2 gb RAM probably because they have plans in store for power and corporate users.

I actually game a bit with my iPads, and I can't wait to see when more games begin implementing metal.

Gaming on the iPad is actually quite fun, and on certain games, the graphics are quite impressive.

• Reply 66 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

There is defintely a market for $249 iPads.

Agreed.

Aren't people always whining about the "developing world" and poor people?

Why would somebody be against Apple offering a $249 iPad?

It's not like they have to buy it for themselves.

• Reply 67 of 80
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    wisely wrote: »

Which we heard something about with Pixelmator. There was one other app that I can't remember. But there probably isn't much else ready yet, so all the talk about the camera features that some here complained about was completely appropriate, just as video processing was when they announced the first 64-bit chip.
  • Reply 68 of 80
    mac_128 wrote: »
    This article really makes me wonder what they're going to do with the iPod Touch. Will it get a 4.7" or 5.5" screen? Or will they persist with a 4" screen as the ultimate entry level iPhone? Or will the touch be a brand new screen size somewhere between the 5.5" phablet and the mini?

I mean who really needs a Touch anymore? I mean if I were a parent buying my kid a non-cellular portable device, for the money, I think I would buy them a mini. Seriously, why would anyone buy a 4" Touch at this point?
    1.there not coming another ipod
    2.they messed up in article saying 5 inch ipod 5, to think 5.0 inches would not be bad.
    Touch will remain 4 inches.

In a year or two it will be phased out by the watch
    I imagine it to be 3 years, or 2017 when they do.
  • Reply 69 of 80
    Now you are just making crap up.  If I had a kid who was 5-10 years old I'd buy them the Mini for $249.  There is defintely a market for $249 iPads.

Apple has always offered multiple models/price points for a product.  Look at the iPod with the Shuffle,Classic,Nano, and Touch.
    I thought Apple was all about offering the best products. No way in hell is the iPad mini with non-retina display and A5 running iOS 8 the best product. All it is is Apple needing to hit a specific price point with specific margins. It's away for Schiller to say you can get an iPad for as little as $249, even though the experience is less than great.
  • Reply 70 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I thought Apple was all about offering the best products. No way in hell is the iPad mini with non-retina display and A5 running iOS 8 the best product. All it is is Apple needing to hit a specific price point with specific margins. It's away for Schiller to say you can get an iPad for as little as $249, even though the experience is less than great.

I know people who are still using the original Mini and it works fine!

Compared to the brand new ones, then sure it's not as good, but for somebody who has never had an iPad before for example, and if they're poor, then the Mini would suit them just fine.

If it was good enough for me a year ago, it's good enough for a poor person today.

• Reply 71 of 80
    xicexice Posts: 18member
    New iPads get Apple Pay? What? I just can't imagine trying to tap your tablet with the payment thingy. Kinda crazy I'd imagine. Perhaps feasible if your iPhone is out of battery or for some reason you feel like using a ginormous device to pay.

Agree with music app needing an update on the iPad.

Currently have the iPad Air and it's still working out great for me. iPads in my opinion should only be upgraded after at the very least 3 years of use.
  • Reply 72 of 80
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Mistake not to add the iPhone6+ camera. iPhones make great impromptu cameras but iPads (with iMovie) are a one-stop consumer video solution. Big, but it's not like you're holding it to your ear.
  • Reply 73 of 80
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I know people who are still using the original Mini and it works fine!
    Compared to the brand new ones, then sure it's not as good, but for somebody who has never had an iPad before for example, and if they're poor, then the Mini would suit them just fine.

If it was good enough for me a year ago, it's good enough for a poor person today.
    Exactly like I said. It's all about Apple needing to hit a certain price point. But I'll bet you all the Apple stick I own that the 1st gen mini is gone within 6 months. Apple will just quietly stop selling it like they did with iPad 2.
  • Reply 74 of 80
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by McDave View Post

Mistake not to add the iPhone6+ camera. iPhones make great impromptu cameras but iPads (with iMovie) are a one-stop consumer video solution. Big, but it's not like you're holding it to your ear.

it's basically the same, only difference as far as I can tell is optical stabilisation and the 2.2 vs 2.4 aperture, is that what you are referring to?

• Reply 75 of 80
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Nice design and product making is about trade offs no product ever deserves 5 out of 5. Perhaps AI should consider moving to points in their reviews. The iPad Air 2 is the best product ? has ever made IMO but it has two flaws as I see: iPad speakers are never quite good enough and the removal of the side switch is a design flaw. I no longer own an iPad, but boy did I rely on the side switch. A soft substitute for this is a hit in usability — I used switch the switch my preferred way in the moment before unlocking the device!

Truly an awesome product, but not perfect. And the Music app on iPad needs a serious rethink.

I find these posts mind-numbing, and honestly, assinine. When the hell does 5/5 mean "perfect"? If I rate an app/restaurant/hotel/product 5/5 stars, does that mean I consider them absolute perfection? Of course not. It just means they're that damn good, and closer to 100% than 80%. 

Oh, and the removal of the switch is a "flaw" only in your opinion. It's by no means a factual, empirical flaw. For example, I see it as absolutely the right move. I barely touched that switch, and its functions did not deserve their own physical switch. I think the fact that you don't even own an iPad makes you ineligible to comment on this review. If a product is superlative in almost every sense, and has no major flaws to speak of, I think it deserves a 5/5, since these products don't come around often.

• Reply 76 of 80
    I have been making an acoustic amplifier for the ipads for several years. There is a version for each type of ipad, and I will have a special edition for the ipad air 2 shortly. Please take a look at etsy.com/shop/finkh for the selection of Sounders. There is a ten decibel gain for the ipad air and the mini.
  • Reply 77 of 80
    Enter for a new iPad Air Now ;)
    http://bit.ly/1u9LgAv
    http://bit.ly/1u9LgAv
  • Reply 78 of 80
    imossible !! lets know whats hiding o ipad air II on http://panguios8.net/
  • Reply 79 of 80

Maclocks sturdy iPad Lock is a signature design of Maclocks especially as an iPad Air 2 Lock. It can be bolted to a flat surface or wall mounted by screwing in the mounting holes on the base of the stand, or it can be used as a free moving kiosk when paired with one of our security cable locks.