Microsoft unveils Office 365 SDK and APIs for iOS app extensibility

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014
Microsoft on Tuesday revealed a multi-pronged initiative to supply developers with new Office 365 APIs and open-source SDKs, which can be used to tap into the company's cloud-based productivity platform for deep iOS app integration.

Example of Office 365 integration with IFTTT.

At TechEd Europe, Microsoft announced three new tools for developers in Office 365 APIs, new mobile SDKs for both iOS and Android, and access to the Office 365 app launcher.

Technical product management team leader Arpan Shah said the new capabilities, especially REST-based APIs for mail, files, calendars and contacts, will allow developers to seamlessly integrate Office 365 features into their apps. The assets are an opportunity for the company to build out extensibility across multiple platforms, including the Web. On the iOS side, developers will see support for Objective-C, with support for Apple's Swift programming language coming soon.

Shah offered an example in which an iOS reservations app integrating the new APIs can cross-check an Office 365 calendar, suggest a non-conflicting date for travel and update the calendar accordingly. In another example, a tasks app harnesses the contacts API, allowing users to schedule meetings and send out notifications to contacts stored in their Office 365 directory.

Some developers are already working on integration, including Web-based utility If This Then That (IFTTT), which plans to roll in Office 365 mail, contacts, calendar and file APIs in the coming weeks.

For consumers, the upcoming extensibility features will be largely transparent, though they will need to sign in to their Office 365 cloud accounts to authenticate on a per app basis once developers roll out supporting software. Shah says the process is akin to Facebook's login button.

The new open APIs, SDKs and support material are available from Microsoft's website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I think the bigger story here is that the have unlimited cloud storage in their OneDrive:

http://blogs.office.com/2014/10/27/onedrive-now-unlimited-storage-office-365-subscribers/

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/51493/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

[I][image courtesy of 9to5][/I]

But this news is from yesterday, I assume this site already posted an article about it.
  • Reply 2 of 16

philboogie

I couldn't agree more! Unlimited is AWESOME! Will Apple (iCloud) react to this??

• Reply 3 of 16
    scottyltd wrote: »
    <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/u/65272/philboogie" style="border-style:none;">philboogie</a>

I couldn't agree more! Unlimited is AWESOME! Will Apple (iCloud) react to this??

Well, I would expect Apple to take notice of these kind of changes in the market. But knowing them they'll want to take a long hard look at the implications. I would assume they first want to see how everyone is filling up their datacenters with iCloud Drive, then see how their Photos app will impact their storage capacity. Only when those uploads from users have settled will they make a calculation on expanding storage capacity, if needed.

So, my guess, nothing will change before 'early 2015' after their Photos app has been released. Though they do have their way of surprising me - fortunately.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    $6.99 /month also gives you access to MS Office 365 as well. I prefer iWork but it is nice to have access to Office for those rare compatibility issues.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I think the bigger story here is that the have unlimited cloud storage in their OneDrive:

http://blogs.office.com/2014/10/27/onedrive-now-unlimited-storage-office-365-subscribers/

[image courtesy of 9to5]

But this news is from yesterday, I assume this site already posted an article about it.

You forgot to mention that Google's prices include "unlimited peeking rights", for Google, that is.

• Reply 6 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    tundraboy wrote: »

You forgot to mention that Google's prices include "unlimited peeking rights", for Google, that is.

ROFL
  • Reply 7 of 16
    philboogie wrote: »

So you get a baby version of Office and unlimited space for anything else. Now if they threw in Office for the Mac too I might be interested. Then if Adobe offerd their full suite for their cloud at $6.95 and unlimited space too ... Oh well I can dream ;)

The other thing I see here is Microsoft admitting to the importance of iOS to their business.
  • Reply 8 of 16

It would be ironic if, with their foray into the Business sector with iOS, Apple ended up being the salvation of Microsoft!

A.

• Reply 9 of 16
    asterion wrote: »
    It would be ironic if, with their foray into the Business sector with iOS, Apple ended up being the salvation of Microsoft!

A.

Ironic but I'd suspect most iOS users will stick with Apple software. The ones that adopt Microcrap software will be those with a legacy need or are PC users I suspect. I admit their cloud storage makes it seem interesting even if I never used their software but I am sure the whole cloud thing is in a state of flux and it will take at least another year or maybe two for the dust to settle so we can see the best systems for Macs and iOS.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

Microsoft is increasingly making sense, everyone check to see if the sun's still rising from the East.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asterion View Post

A.

Well said, that's what's going to end up happening, kind of a karmic repayment from the time when MS got onboard with the stock buy and software development when apple was one step from a deep and dreamless tech sleep. 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

So you get a baby version of Office and unlimited space for anything else. Now if they threw in Office for the Mac too I might be interested. Then if Adobe offerd their full suite for their cloud at $6.95 and unlimited space too ... Oh well I can dream image

The other thing I see here is Microsoft admitting to the importance of iOS to their business.

I got onboard cc and they 've done some great work with it, kudos to them, I don't really like them for all the things over the years they have to not like, and for still having the audacity to disregard personal privacy in adobe digital edition, but they are growing on me.Realistically I don't think they can offer what they are offering for a better price. CC works seamlessly on my rmbp and I am really happy with it.

As for MS, they should get going with Office for Mac, I really don't understand what the hell is taking them so long. I see office and iWork perfectly fine to coexist, apple has produced some very, very, very fine apps with pages, numbers and keynote. Excellent applications all around, and such a joy to use on the mac or on the iPad. Pushing MS to rethink their own tablet design for apps, and come up with some great imaginary UIs for office for iPad. (They should also serve great as teaching tools, iWork apps)The only thing I wish would happen next is that they move one step closer to their little brother filemaker. 

But excel is excel for specific kinds of usage, and it's irreplaceable. Powerpoint is irrelevant. 

• Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

[image courtesy of 9to5]

Well you get that only when you sign up for an Office 365 subscription but still that's fantastic.  Definitely an offer that's hard to refuse.  With this move storage has gone from being a service to being a feature;

http://windowsitpro.com/onedrive/microsofts-game-changer-cloud-storage-now-feature-not-service

• Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SHSF View Post

Well said, that's what's going to end up happening, kind of a karmic repayment from the time when MS got onboard with the stock buy and software development when apple was one step from a deep and dreamless tech sleep. 

I got onboard cc and they 've done some great work with it, kudos to them, I don't really like them for all the things over the years they have to not like, and for still having the audacity to disregard personal privacy in adobe digital edition, but they are growing on me.Realistically I don't think they can offer what they are offering for a better price. CC works seamlessly on my rmbp and I am really happy with it.

As for MS, they should get going with Office for Mac, I really don't understand what the hell is taking them so long. I see office and iWork perfectly fine to coexist, apple has produced some very, very, very fine apps with pages, numbers and keynote. Excellent applications all around, and such a joy to use on the mac or on the iPad. Pushing MS to rethink their own tablet design for apps, and come up with some great imaginary UIs for office for iPad. (They should also serve great as teaching tools, iWork apps)The only thing I wish would happen next is that they move one step closer to their little brother filemaker. 

But excel is excel for specific kinds of usage, and it's irreplaceable. Powerpoint is irrelevant. 

Office for Mac is coming.  Mary J. Foley's sources when it comes to MS news / rumors are fantastic;

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-latest-target-release-date-for-office-16-second-half-2015-7000035155/

• Reply 13 of 16
    canukstorm wrote: »
    Well you get that only when you sign up for an Office 365 subscription but still that's fantastic.  Definitely an offer that's hard to refuse.  With this move storage has gone from being a service to being a feature;

http://windowsitpro.com/onedrive/microsofts-game-changer-cloud-storage-now-feature-not-service

While I agree it would seem to be 'an offer one cannot refuse' it still remains 'one unlimited cloud storage thing' which is something entirely different from what Apple is offering. iCloudDrive may be a simple 'pool for data/files' for many cloud storage providers, Apple is taking a very different approach to cloud storage: they do not simply offer a HDD in the cloud, but offer services: https://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/icloud-drive/

Paul Thurrott: "Paid cloud storage for the masses is dead"

I disagree: DB offers software integration for photos stored on their cloud storage, possibly more services like this one.

Then again, I often disagree with his statements, so to me, no surprises there. YMMV.
  • Reply 14 of 16

Ha! Excellent point! Though, they're a bit late to admitting/acknowledge the undisputed, solidified, irrevocable and 'here to stay' importance of iOS.

tundraboy wrote: »

Well, MS does that as well:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OneDrive#Privacy_concerns
    Data stored on OneDrive is subject to monitoring by Microsoft, and any content that is in violation of Microsoft's Code of Conduct is subject to removal and may lead to temporary or permanent shutdown of an account. This has led to privacy concerns in relation to data stored on OneDrive. Microsoft has responded by indicating that "strict internal policies [are] in place to limit access to a user’s data", and that advanced mechanisms, such as Microsoft's automated PhotoDNA scanning tool, are utilized to ensure users abide with the Code of Conduct and that their account does not contain illegal files (including, but not limited to, partial human nudity (including art or drawings), any discussion of purchasing firearms, any online surveys, etc

And I'm sure Apple has automated the process of scanning for any unlawful material as well, as they all should; which is actually a pity: people should have enough common sense and be 'dignified' enough to know what is right and what is wrong. To upload, to store, to share, to view.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

While I agree it would seem to be 'an offer one cannot refuse' it still remains 'one unlimited cloud storage thing' which is something entirely different from what Apple is offering. iCloudDrive may be a simple 'pool for data/files' for many cloud storage providers, Apple is taking a very different approach to cloud storage: they do not simply offer a HDD in the cloud, but offer services: https://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/icloud-drive/

Paul Thurrott: "Paid cloud storage for the masses is dead"

I disagree: DB offers software integration for photos stored on their cloud storage, possibly more services like this one.

Then again, I often disagree with his statements, so to me, no surprises there. YMMV.

I've read in a few places what Apple is doing with iCloud is different than what other cloud providers like MS / Google are doing yet not one post has explained clearly what that is.  Maybe you can explain.

• Reply 16 of 16
    canukstorm wrote: »
    I've read in a few places what Apple is doing with iCloud is different than what other cloud providers like MS / Google are doing yet not one post has explained clearly what that is.  Maybe you can explain.

In a rush now, but take a look at the link for a list of what Apple offers with iCloud.