Nike+ Running app updated with Apple HealthKit integration, elevation tracking, more

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014
Nike on Tuesday released a new version of its popular Nike+ fitness app for iOS, bringing integration with Apple's Health app, elevation tracking , enhanced heart rate monitor support and user interface tweaks.

Reaching version 4.6 with today's update, Nike+ Running gains a solid set of new features for tracking your workouts, not the least of which being integration with Apple's HealthKit and accompanying Health app.

HealthKit support means Nike+ Running can connect to Apple Health on iOS 8 for statistics aggregation and storage. The running app can also tap into Apple Health data to offer more detailed information like heart rate monitor support during runs when using a Bluetooth 4.0 device like Wahoo's Tickr products.

In addition, the app adds in elevation tracking for more precise workout monitoring, though the feature is designed for the iPhone 6 and accuracy may drop off when using iPhone 5s and below. Apple built a barometric pressure sensor into the onboard M8 motion coprocessor found in the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, enabling calculation of elevation changes like those experienced when climbing up stairs.

Finally, a number of design tweaks include a new quick start feature and in-app gesture controls that cycle between music playback, stats viewing and a live map.

Nike+ Running is available as a free 46.2MB download from the iOS App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    And the Nike Fuelband is smoking hot looking too unlike - you know .....
  • Reply 2 of 8
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

And the Nike Fuelband is smoking hot looking too unlike - you know .....

Yeah.. I completely agree. Like Moto 360 which is too big and the screen is not even circular. Or Samsung gear which looks really cheap.

But what I wanna know is if I'm only running and I already have Strava, do I need this app?

• Reply 3 of 8
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    matrix07 wrote: »
    But what I wanna know is if I'm only running and I already have Strava, do I need this app?

Of course it's not needed, it's just a different app with a different feature set, doing basically the same thing as other running/triathlon apps.

I think this app is quite good, and thanks to Matt Stuehler we can now export the .gpx files from Nike.com

https://mattstuehler.com/lab/NikePlus/
  • Reply 4 of 8
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    ajl wrote: »
    Runmeter is far better than this one.

You could have made a good point if you posted the reasoning for your opinion as to why it "is far better than this one".
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Health app integration is too late - I've already switched to Mapmyrun. I'll be sticking with it too since you can track other types of exercise than running as well.
  • Reply 6 of 8

So glad they added elevation tracking.

• Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJL View Post

Runmeter is far better than this one.

You could have made a good point if you posted the reasoning for your opinion as to why it "is far better than this one".

True.

I agree, though. I use Walkmeter, but It’s exactly the same. Great app, slick, tons of useful features and uses iCloud to sync everything. No stupid account sign-up, just use the app and boom.