Apple's iOS 8 adoption finally breaks 50% nearly 6 weeks after launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2014
After stagnating earlier in October, adoption of Apple's latest iOS 8 mobile operating system has finally cracked the 50 percent barrier and now stands at 52 percent of devices tracked by the iOS App Store.

As of Oct. 27, iOS 8 was installed on 52 percent of devices registered through the App Store, finally surpassing the marketshare of iOS 7, which accounted for 43 percent of the whole. Apple announced the findings on its developer webpage.

The iOS 8 new metrics represent a five percent increase in adoption over the past three weeks, better than Apple's last update, which saw a meager one percent uptick over a period of two weeks.

By comparison, however, last year's iOS 7 -- considered a major revamp to Apple's mobile OS -- garnered a 52 percent share of Web traffic in only one week, according to a third-party study.

Share of devices running iOS 6 and older shrunk to 5 percent over the past weeks.

Despite booming iPhone 6 and 6 Plus sales, iOS 8's marketshare may be a side effect of the OS' official launch and subsequent botched iOS 8.0.1 patch. Owners may be reluctant to upgrade to the latest iOS 8 version after seeing problems that included a launch-day bug that prompted Apple to pull HealthKit-enabled apps from the App Store. A fix released one week later contained issues of its own that caused problems with iPhone 6 and 6 Plus cellular connectivity and Touch ID.

Apple's latest iOS 8.1 update is relatively stable thus far and, for iPhone 6 users, activates Apple Pay contactless mobile payments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    iOS 8.1 fcked my WiFi connections badly. All of my iOS 8.1 devices (5S, 6 and Air) couldn't connect to my network if the signal is at 2-bar level; it keeps asking to enter wifi password. When I walk closer to the router, it connects. Same router, same network and it's okay with 8.0.2 right before the update. I thought my router was bad, but it's the same on the second router. This is the first fking problem I have with iOS...
  • Reply 2 of 55

It's really not the bugs, it's the storage size. My mother is on 8.0.2 because I have to go apply the update manually and haven't had time yet. She has a 16GB 5C. She has discovered that 64GB would be a better idea next time. :D

• Reply 3 of 55
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    How long did it take for iOS 7 to hit 50%?

fallenjt wrote: »
    iOS 8.1 fcked my WiFi connections badly. All of my iOS 8.1 devices (5S, 6 and Air) couldn't connect to my network if the signal is at 2-bar level; it keeps asking to enter wifi password. When I walk closer to the router, it connects. Same router, same network and it's okay with 8.0.2 right before the update. I thought my router was bad, but it's the same on the second router. This is the first fking problem I have with iOS...

If it's happening with all your devices you might want to 1) see if there is a firmware update for your router, 2) see if you can put the router in a position so it doesn't get "2 bars" anywhere in your home, which could mean a repeater or new router, and/or 3) reset the network settings on one of your devices to see if that resolves any odd issue.

I personally haven't experienced that with my iPhone but I have experienced slow WiFi on my MBP on Yosemite which also shows 802.11n when everything in the house is now 802.11ac. Toggling it off/on on my MBP resolves the issue, but that's not really germane to this thread.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    How long did it take for iOS 7 to hit 50%?
    Less than a week according to the article.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »

Thanks. I did not see that as I skimmed the article and it was the only thing I was looking for. :\
  • Reply 6 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

What are the stats for all Android version adoption rates? ... Come on .... links, stats, details .... what are you here for after all? :D
  • Reply 7 of 55
    What are the stats for all Android version adoption rates? ... Come on .... links, stats, details .... what are you here for after all? :D
    Again with the "but...but... but Android" in an Apple specific thread? Easy to find answers to those questions yourself if you're really interested and I think most regulars here know where to look. No reason to send yet another Apple thread off into a discussion of Google/Android.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    Again with the "but...but... but Android" in an Apple specific thread? Easy to find answers to those questions yourself if you're really interested and I think most regulars here know where to look. No reason to send yet another Apple thread off into a discussion of Google/Android.

I was pandering to your raison d'être ... no I'm kidding, I'd never do that. I was serious.

In fact it was a relevant question. How is the supposed main opposition, spam sandwich or whatever the latest name is, doing in adoption rates compared to the stellar adoption rates of iOS? Like its sibbling OS X, iOS is adopted like dew vanishes before the sun. We here, on AI, like to look at Windows and other inferior operating systems' adoption rates when they are released. It is something real Apple interested parties and AAPL share holders obviously want to know.

Oh wait .. perhaps the poor Android adoption rates are by design ... Google wants them to be poor ... right? (reference to another thread where Google wants Nexus sales to fail accoring to Fornecedor de mentira verdade)
  • Reply 9 of 55
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    To be fair, word spread about the problems with the pulled 8.0.1 and that made people a bit gun-shy. Six weeks to 50 percent is worse, but it's only bad by Apple's own standards -- by Android or Windows standards that would be an impossible miracle.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    I was pandering to your raison d'être ... no I'm kidding, I'd never do that. I was serious.

In fact it was a relevant question. How is the supposed main opposition, spam sandwich or whatever the latest name is, doing in adoption rates compared to the stellar adoption rates of iOS? Like its sibbling OS X, iOS is adopted like dew vanishes before the sun. We here, on AI, like to look at Windows and other inferior operating systems' adoption rates when they are released. It is something real Apple interested parties and AAPL share holders obviously want to know.

Oh wait .. perhaps the poor Android adoption rates are by design ... Google wants them to be poor ... right? (reference to another thread where Google wants Nexus sales to fail accoring to Fornecedor de mentira verdade)
    Since you want to continue anyway I suspect the Android version adoption rates are just as high and just as fast as Apple's for the line of devices that Google supports with direct updates that bypass the carriers. That would of course be a very small subset of the range of devices that licensees build and (fail to) support. You can lead a horse to water. . .

Some licensees have seen the light, Motorola and Sony among them.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    Since you want to continue anyway I suspect the Android version adoption rates are just as high and just as fast as Apple's for the line of devices that Google supports with direct updates that bypass the carriers. That would of course be a very small subset of the range of devices that licensees build and (fail to) support. You can lead a horse to water. . .

Some licensees have seen the light, Motorola and Sony among them.

You are a sly one ..

So ... pretty low .... :D

Sorry I knew that, just wanted to see your amzing spin skills in action.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    You are a sly one ..

So ... pretty low .... :D

Sorry I knew that, just wanted to see your amzing spin skills in action.

Relatively, yes. You do know where to find the stats for yourself don't you? If not I'll post the link for you.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    Relatively, yes.

Come on over, it's good to be on the winning team. Believe me I know, having stuck with Apple through the late 70s, 80's 90's and 21st century so far. We've had are ups and downs, just good to be up.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    Maybe because 1.ios 7 had bugs that lasted for months that people are scared of
    2.storage, IOS is requiring up to half the storage of a 16 gb, come on!
    3.rumors have spread since the 0.8.1 fail, little people know was it was minutes till it was fixed
    4.normal problems
  • Reply 15 of 55
    Relatively, yes. You do know where to find the stats for yourself don't you? If not I'll post the link for you.

caught you editing there ...

Hey are you Portuguese or of that origin by any chance? You know why i ask of course.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    Hey are you Portuguese or of that origin by any chance? You know why i ask of course.

French actually but born in Germany. And no I don't know why you asked.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    French actually but born in Germany. And no I don't know why you asked.

Fornecedor de verdade is Portugese isn't it? 'Bringer of truth.'
  • Reply 18 of 55
    Fornecedor de verdade is Portugese isn't it? 'Bringer of truth.'

Ah, gotcha, Yes it is. One of my oldest friends is Portuguese.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    Ah, gotcha, Yes it is. One of my oldest friends is Portuguese.

You didn't know what your location meant then?

I have a friend from Portugal too.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    You didn't know what your location meant then?
    Not sure what you mean? I'm located only about 40 miles from you.

Oh, you mean the tag in place of location. That was done by TS I think.