FTC files suit against AT&T for 'deceptive & unfair data throttling'

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

what part of "unlimited" is difficult for you to grasp?  you used it correctly once then completely missed the point the second time.  "unlimited" means no limits.  that means no limit on speed and no limit on quantity/volume/whatever.

Using your logic you should then be mad at AT&T for the limits of how fast data can be sent. Fcuk 100 Mbps, I want 1000 Mbps, oh I can't get that? So unlimited obviously has its limits. I will agree that it's unfair to throttle arbitrarily, and without warning, but I wouldn't say that they're violating the terms of the contract.
  • Reply 42 of 58

Do you cross your fingers behind your back when you make agreements?

It's reasonable to expect functional speed, and a speed equal to that of customers who did not purchase "unlimited data." 

• Reply 43 of 58
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Well, unless they stopped you from actually being able to download, I don't see how 'unlimited data" means unlimited speeds. It just means the amount of data. Slowing your data stream down but still not putting a cap on the amount of data is still technically "unlimited" data.

I am not condoning the AT&T practice but I think that the FTC needs a dictionary.

Have you even gone to a buffet restaurant and after first 15 min, they slow down the serving with a limited amount of foods from 10 items to 3 items and those run out all the times so you have to wait until the new batch? Is that still called "all you can eat"? All you can eat with limited foods...

• Reply 44 of 58
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

What part do you not understand?  Show me where AT&T said that the accounts were "unlimited" in all respects?  The unlimited referred to the amount of data.  They would show 500mb / 1Gb 3/Gb / unlimited or similar types of listings.  "Unlimited" is obviously referring to the amount of data.

I am not condoning AT&T's throttling, but AT&T never offered unlimited speed.

Unlimited LTE data, mean you have to achieve the same damn speed the customers sign up with.

• Reply 45 of 58

The article says, "The FTC alleges that the level of throttling has been "severe," with speed reductions reaching 80 to 90 percent of the advertised capacity." In context, the FTC apparently perceives the "Advertised Capacity" to be the standard which AT&T used to induce persons to choose their company over another, & talks specifically about throttling that capacity. It seems clear to me the FTC is focusing specifically on throttling speed, as you couldn't possibly use 30gigs of data at a 90% reduction. A microwave that also browns meat, advertised to quickly cook steaks for the whole family (pic of 4 steaks on one plate), yet takes 1 hour to cook 1 steak at a time only, 4 hours later, you would have that meal. Hence, the bait & switch analogy applies.

• Reply 46 of 58
    Quote:

What part do you not understand?  Show me where AT&T said that the accounts were "unlimited" in all respects?  The unlimited referred to the amount of data.  They would show 500mb / 1Gb 3/Gb / unlimited or similar types of listings.  "Unlimited" is obviously referring to the amount of data.

I am not condoning AT&T's throttling, but AT&T never offered unlimited speed.

Problem with your argument is that ATT just announced that they would throttle only grandfathered plans just this last year.  This throttling does not affect other plans that are limited.  It also does not affect current more costly unlimited plans.  Only grandfathered plans.  I have 3 phones on plans that were grandfathered from before october 1st, 2009, and because of a court order ATT can not cancel these plans.  I was told this by ATT.  The throttling started just last year.   It is an attempt by ATT to get people to cancel there grandfathered plans.  There is literature on there website in there rules that prove this. You can look for yourself  I have.  I have 1 iPhone out of my 4 that is on a 3GB plan.  It is never throttled in any way.  If you go over 3GB they just make you pay $10 for each gig overage.  But no throttling.  (I know this is fact because it is my daughters iPhone and she has gone over several times).

My 5s has gone over 1 time and I was sent a text notifying me that it would be throttled.  It was throttled so hard it takes literally 2 mins to load one web page.  While my daughters in the same location (she has as 5s as well) is downloading at 25mb a sec.  Mine is 40kb.    I pay $30  a month for unlimited.  ATT is literally, restricting my usage and limiting me to lower GB download.  

Again this throttling is new and was announced just this last year.  It has never happened before that and its sole purpose is to get me to drop my unlimited plan and go to a metered plan.  They can kiss my ass.  I support this decision by the FTC and hope ATT get there ass handed to them.  Instead of reporting record profits like they have in the last 3 years, and punishing there loyal customers why don't they invest a sizable portion of that windfall into upgrading there poor performing networks.  I can tell you why its because there greedy and don't really care about there customers.

• Reply 47 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aross99 View Post

When they first started this, I thought OK, I guess 5GB is alot of data, and maybe their network is not able to handle it. Fast forward to 2014 and now they offer "double your data for free" promotions for people with 15GB and up plans. So much for network management.

So they can give away 15GB/month+ to people for $0, but I get capped at 5GB, because I have stuck with AT&T and my unlimited plan for the past 7 years?

I wonder what percentage of people still have unlimited plans and how many of them go over the 5Gb limit?

I know I have had mine from iPhone day 1 - approximately 87 months, and I know my average is well under 2GB. I'm sure there are a lot of people who still have unlimited plans who use well under the 5GB limit.

I would like to see something that says what the average data use is per month for the remaining unlimited people.

Actually they start to throttle you at 3GB read here. Click the link on that page that says "About reduced data speeds"

• Reply 48 of 58
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    chadbag wrote: »
    Well, unless they stopped you from actually being able to download, I don't see how 'unlimited data" means unlimited speeds. It just means the amount of data. Slowing your data stream down but still not putting a cap on the amount of data is still technically "unlimited" data.

I am not condoning the AT&T practice but I think that the FTC needs a dictionary.

While you are correct there are issues with when and how much they are doing it. In some areas folks get cut more than half after only a couple of gigs. That's not cool
  • Reply 49 of 58
    What AT&T does is discriminating customers. In the buffet example, imaging all of us paid the same price to eat all you can eat but the restaurant decided to make sure that fat people gets less food than everyone else in the restaurant. You think the restuarant still have the right to do this when you and fat people pay the same? Unfortunately many Chinese buffet in the past did this.
  • Reply 50 of 58
    zuhuzuhu Posts: 3member
    There seems to be a lot of debate about whether or not ATT's practice is fair or legal. I'll say this, and I think most people would agree, I would have never paid the premium cost for an unlimited plan, had ATT disclaimed up front that my data speed would be reduced to unusable speeds after 5GB. There were many other options to choose from at the time and in all likelyhood I would have chosen something else - less expensive.
    Having said that, I hope ATT would wake up and deliver on their contractual agreement that did not include any mention of throttling speeds after 5GB.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    There seems to be a lot of debate about whether or not ATT's practice is fair or legal. I'll say this and I think most people would agree: I would have never paid the premium cost for an unlimited plan, had ATT disclaimed up front that my data speed would be reduced to unusable speeds after 5GB. There were many other options to choose from at the time and in all likelyhood I would have chosen something else.
  • Reply 52 of 58
    There seems to be a lot of debate about whether or not ATT's practice is fair or legal. I'll say this and I think most people would agree: I would have never paid the premium cost for an unlimited plan, had ATT disclaimed up front that my data speed would be reduced to unusable speeds after 5GB. There were many other options to choose from at the time and in all likelyhood I would have chosen something else.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Using your logic you should then be mad at AT&T for the limits of how fast data can be sent. Fcuk 100 Mbps, I want 1000 Mbps, oh I can't get that? So unlimited obviously has its limits. I will agree that it's unfair to throttle arbitrarily, and without warning, but I wouldn't say that they're violating the terms of the contract.

did you actually read what i wrote before you responded?  the VERY NEXT line after your quoted text ends is me saying almost exactly what you just said.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by HerrWaldoRivera View Post

LIMITED is an active verb in this case as they are actively LIMITING me... nobody is complaining that we don't get 3Tb/sec of download speed because THAT limit is a practical one (and a passive one as nobody is specifically blocking me from getting 3Tb/sec)

• Reply 54 of 58
    chadbag wrote: »

We are not even getting the same high speeds that limited data customers are getting. That's the complaint.
  • Reply 55 of 58
    It should be remembered that these are the weasels who were Cingular, before they bought into the AT&T shield of legitimacy.
  • Reply 56 of 58
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSince86 View Post

It should be remembered that these are the weasels who were Cingular, before they bought into the AT&T shield of legitimacy.

Cingular bought ATT wireless then ATT and merged back into one happy family.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT&T_Mobility

• Reply 57 of 58
    Originally Posted by AppleSince86 View Post

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Cingular bought ATT wireless then ATT and merged back into one happy family.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT&T_Mobility

Still, it has only taken how long after the breakup of Ma Bell to get us back this close...