Smallest Mac Motherboard?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Does anyone know what the smallest macintosh motherboard made was? I want to build a "TV Mac" just to see if I could create a macintosh with a small footprint that hooks up to a TV. Thanks,

jhtrih

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Wouldnt it be the G4 Cube? Just a guess.
  • Reply 1 of 22
    I'm assuming the mac classic or something around there. I mean look at that little thing with a 9" monitor as well.

If you want something more modern then I would have to go with the cube.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    PowerBook 100?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    oh.. well if you're gona do laptops then I would assume the powerbook 2400
  • Reply 4 of 22
    What about the iBook? Any of them.

try this

<a href="http://www.apple-history.com"; target="_blank">http://www.apple-history.com</a>;
  • Reply 6 of 22
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Yeah, I have been looking at Apple History for a while, but sometimes it is hard to guess the MB size (Quicksilver MB size vs. Graphite MB size, quicksilver wins). I was thinking the cube, but the price for used cubes is up there. I think the MB used in the classics was about 10" by 10".
  • Reply 7 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by jhtrih:

<strong>Yeah, I have been looking at Apple History for a while, but sometimes it is hard to guess the MB size (Quicksilver MB size vs. Graphite MB size, quicksilver wins). I was thinking the cube, but the price for used cubes is up there. I think the MB used in the classics was about 10" by 10".</strong><hr></blockquote>

How much would you pay for mine,seriously.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    all the portables are the smallest.

the performa series also had very small motherboard.

I would imagine that the TAM's motherboard is close to the smallest because it was based on the powerbook motherboard.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    I think I will go with a Performa 6360 MB or maybe a newer cheep 'book MB.

BTW: Macintosh, what are you selling, a classic? If so, I already have a Classic II sitting on my desk
  • Reply 10 of 22
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member

<strong>I think I will go with a Performa 6360 MB or maybe a newer cheep 'book MB.

BTW: Macintosh, what are you selling, a classic? If so, I already have a Classic II sitting on my desk </strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm pretty sure he means the cube...
  • Reply 11 of 22
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    the original iMac's mobo is pretty small...but the cube's is tiny...the ones that the portables have are wider but not as deep.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    I don't have enough $$$ for a cube right now
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Unless anyone is willing to donate to the Give-Chris-A-Mac Foundation?
  • Reply 14 of 22

<strong>I think I will go with a Performa 6360 MB or maybe a newer cheep 'book MB.

BTW: Macintosh, what are you selling, a classic? If so, I already have a Classic II sitting on my desk </strong><hr></blockquote>

go the performa 6360 route.

I own one. IMO it is possibly the best consumer mac Apple ever made (next to the imac of course)

It was affordable, well featured, and most of all very expandble.

I have a tv tuner, fm tuner, s-video/composite video in, an ethernet card, and extra RAM in mine. I run BeOS on it and it flies.

The processor is also upgradable to a G3 and you could always stick an Xclaim VR 128 in the PCI slot instead of the ethernet card I have installed.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Can you route the output from a high-end video card into a TV out card?
  • Reply 16 of 22

<strong>Can you route the output from a high-end video card into a TV out card?</strong><hr></blockquote>

both the xclaim vr 128 and the radeon pci have tv out so you could just output your signal through those to the tv.

the xclaim vr 128 also has video in and a tv tuner and is what I would reccomend.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Technically, the iMac mobo's have been based off of the PowerBook mobo's, right?

I would cast my vote for the cube as the smallest mobo. The original compact Macs had small mobo's, but huge capacitors on them, if I recall correctly.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by Mr.Potatohead:

<strong>Technically, the iMac mobo's have been based off of the PowerBook mobo's, right?

I would cast my vote for the cube as the smallest mobo. The original compact Macs had small mobo's, but huge capacitors on them, if I recall correctly.</strong><hr></blockquote>

first iMac was loosley based on the powerbook. since the kihei (revision e) imacs the only thing they have had in common is being based on UMA I believe.

the cubes motherboard I would think is actually quite big. Because its a bunch of boards packed right next to each other.

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: applenut ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 22
    This might not be the best mobo to start building av TV-Mac with but the original Mac LC has a really, really tiny motherboard, about half the size of the mobo of Plus/Classic-like Macs, and smaller than the iBook-mobos.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    What is <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2004081185"; target="_blank">this?</a>

A color classic board?