MCX merchants restricted to CurrentC payment system, using Apple Pay incurs fines

Comments

• Reply 81 of 163

Do visit the the ratings comments in the Apple App store for CurrentC. I have never seen worse ratings for an app. Apple doesn't need to ban it from the store. After reading the reviews from users, you'd be an absolute idiot to hook your bank account up to CurrentC.

• Reply 82 of 163
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    AI, Can you run a story on the Whitehouse petition to have MCX's policies reviewed? We really need to get traction on this.
  • Reply 83 of 163
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

There is no way in hell that this CurrentC system is going to succeed.

As if people are going to freely grant direct access to their bank accounts, and give up their SSN#, their DL and health information to a consortium of merchants, all of whom will share your info with each other and pass it around like a cheap whore!

Because merchants can surely be trusted! It's not like there has been any recent high profile hacks and breaches were millions and millions of cards were stolen!:err: No sir!

Consumers will be fighting each other to be able to be the first to sign up to this wonderful system!:D

CurrentC is kind of like signing a pact with the devil. At least if you signed a pact with the real devil, he'd be able to offer you something good in exchange, so CurrentC is actually worse than signing a pact with the devil!

Like I said, CurrentC is doomed. Hopefully the businesses that are a part of it will suffer before they are forced to admit their enormous blunder.

• Reply 84 of 163
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Walmart et al. are dead meat.

justice.

• Reply 85 of 163

The protections you receive on your debit card are provided by the Visa or MasterCard system it is processed through. CurrentC is bypassing Visa and MC so those protections don't apply.

• Reply 86 of 163
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,036member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

"MCX has consumers' best interests in mind".........plus we'll get heavily fined if we don't use it.

That's a misquote. It should have read .......... "MCX has consumers' best interests to mine" ........ . :p?

• Reply 87 of 163
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulSorensen View Post

Interesting that these merchants apparently were able to allow Google Wallet based NFC transactions.

One could wonder how much Google Wallet was actually used. Maybe not enough to bother shutting down NFC for.

• Reply 88 of 163
    If they weren't allowed to use 3rd party payment systems, why were they allowing Google Wallet prior to the shut-down last week?
  • Reply 89 of 163

This is purely anti competitive and should be barred by law. If your payment system is good, then it should stand on its own, not because you've restricted all the other payment systems. I think they realize that their system isn't good - opening an app, scanning barcodes (really.. really?), how is that any more convenient? So instead they try to give it an artificial edge by banning competitors. 

• Reply 90 of 163
    Should be grounds to remove CurrentC from the App Store

No CurrentC app on Smart phones their hostile action will be reversed

Seems weird logic to say "we are going to block your mobile pay capability but here is our app we want to put on your App Store
  • Reply 91 of 163
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    bc2009 wrote: »
    You can request that President Obama order a DOJ investigation of MCX for possible illegal anti-competetive collusion...

MCX is doing nothing illegal by finding partners who willingly agree to a contract.

Funny that. The DOJ wasn't impressed when Apple organised the ebook publishers and that had no 'punishment' clause built in.:\

*Edit. Melgros and others beat me to it.
  • Reply 92 of 163
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    melgross wrote: »
    MCX is doing nothing illegal by finding partners who willingly agree to a contract.

You mean, like the book publishers?

This could be considered to be restraint of trade.

Since this system requires an app from the App Store, which is already there, though it only works for a few people for testing, and in the Google Play store, I wonder if both Apple and Google could tell MCX that if they keep their requirement that their NFC payment systems on the terminals refuse other forms of NFC payment, that they, Apple and Google, will remove the apps from their stores.

If they could do that, it would kill this before it begins. I'm not sure of the legality of this. And. It's too late at night to speak to someone who does.

While appreciating the implicit satisfaction of removing the App, why bother?
    As it stands, the app - ratings and comments are off the wrong end of the scale anyway, stands as a constant embarrassment and reminder of how MCX management totally fscked up. :smokey:
    Same goes for Google.
  • Reply 93 of 163
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    That didn't seem to work for Apple in their iBooks case. The DOJ could find collusion anywhere there's two corporations talking if they want.
  • Reply 94 of 163
    frac wrote: »
    While appreciating the implicit satisfaction of removing the App, why bother?
    As it stands, the app - ratings and comments are off the wrong end of the scale anyway, stands as a constant embarrassment and reminder of how MCX management totally fscked up. :smokey:
    Same goes for Google.

Agreed. Leave tha app as-is. Consumers have already expressed their anger and dissatisfaction with the very idea of the app.
  • Reply 95 of 163
    That's brilliant.  I hope they both do it, though I highly doubt Google would.

The brilliance in this comes from playing the same card that MCX has.  What MCX is doing is blatantly anti-consumer because it forces them to use an arguably inferior product if they want to make mobile payments.  So they have no effective grounds to argue against the removal of their app from the store; if they attempt to argue that it limits consumer choice, all that will do is cast a harsh light on their own actions, which do exactly that.

I love it.

Not in the USA.

The DOJ would accuse Apple of anti-competitive behavior.

And, with Bromwich and Cote still monitoring Apple for its anti-competitive behavior in attempting to break Amazon's monopolistic practices, Apple has no choice, but to go along with this denial,

On the Google front, it is highly possible Google was selling customer data to MCX partners which enabled Google Wallet to be used in the partner stores. When Apple came along and could not sell customer data to the partners, the partners chose to shut Apple out. This shut out had the unintended effect of shutting out all NFC activity. Could you imagine the MCX partners choosing to work with Google over Apple for mobile payments?
  • Reply 96 of 163

Gee I dunno about that.... Wasn't there a case a while back where a certain company got together with vendors to sell literary items.... And got whipped for entering into a a mutually agreeable contrat?

At a minimum it would suck $ out of Wally World that could implement this fiasco.
  • Reply 97 of 163
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    It very well could be, but remember that ?Pay isn't yet 10 days old and the number of iPhone 6 series devices is extremely low right now for the marketplace. I say let the retailers some time to see how they can skirt their MCX contract, but I think CurrentC only becomes an issue of real annoyance a year from now when there are 3 devices by Apple on the market, at least two more being made ready, millions of vendors (along with the 2015 law in the US for secure payments), and Apple wanting to push ?Pay to more countries. I really don't think CurrentC has any chance as it's currently setup.
    It might be as simple as Google Wallet was never seen as a threat so it was never enforced by MCX.

Of course you are correct, it's too early for them to jump, but boy oh boy, what a PR nightmare for them in the mean time. They between a rock and a hard place right now.
  • Reply 98 of 163
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member

I agree that this will ultimately come down to consumers deciding what they want. The last thing I'd want is the government stepping in and messing up the whole thing for everyone. This whole POS electronic payment technology game is just getting started so it's not at all unusual to have several competing interests vying for control and marketshare. That's just the way these things play out in a competitive market. As we've seen before with the VHS vs. Beta, PC vs. Mac, and other competing real and defacto "standards" the technically superior approach sadly does not always win. This game is still very much in play.

But I do have to admit that the universal quota of credibility and honesty did suffer a permanent decline with the Wal-Mart "we have our customer's best interest in mind" statement. File that one under "most disingenuous statement of the day." Totally absurd.

• Reply 99 of 163
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    addicted44 wrote: »
    I don't understand why anyone in the US, unless they cannot get a credit card due to poor credit, would choose to use a debit card over a credit card. Better points, better protection, and you get about a month's worth of free float. Just keep paying off your credit card online as soon as it reaches 10% of your credit limit, and it will start improving your credit too.

The problem is there is little truth in what you say here. Using a credit card does not improve your credit rating. I generally have one card active at anytime, a card i avoid using yet i have a high credit rating.

Frankly cash works really well these days.
  • Reply 100 of 163
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Uh huh, ask Apple and book publishers how the DOJ feels about partners willingly agreeing to contracts?

Of course, given that case as a point of reference calling on the government to act will likely lead to a lawsuit against Apple because they aren't supporting CurrentC.