Apple's iOS 8 adoption finally breaks 50% nearly 6 weeks after launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55

Has anyone used a multi-language keyboard?

• Reply 22 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean? I'm located only about 40 miles from you.

Helloooo...

BY the way your post rate is 4x mine so I assume you are retired or institutionalized. ;)

St Pete?
  • Reply 23 of 55
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Helloooo...

BY the way your post rate is 6x mine so I assume you are retired or institutionalized. ;)

If you look at Soli's his is formatted the same way, tag in place of location. There's a few of us with those.
  • Reply 24 of 55
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    You didn't know what your location meant then?

I have a friend from Portugal too.
    I think you'd find we actually have a lot in common.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    If you look at Soli's his is formatted the same way, tag in place of location. There's a few of us with those.

My question was more if you knew the meaning, my bad for calling it location, sorry 'bout that. The words intrigued me for some reason.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    I think you'd find we actually have a lot in common.

That really intrigues me given the last four years on line sparring! LOL

but .. but French ... thousands of years of animosity towards the English! :\

That said I am more Norse. :D
  • Reply 27 of 55
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    To be fair, word spread about the problems with the pulled 8.0.1 and that made people a bit gun-shy. Six weeks to 50 percent is worse, but it's only bad by Apple's own standards -- by Android or Windows standards that would be an impossible miracle.

To answer the question specifically: According to Google, 24.5 percent of devices are running some version of KitKat, the most recent major release, after almost precisely one year (was released on October 31st, 2013).

Source: https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

So no, Android adoption rates are nowhere near as fast as Apple's even when as with this one Apple has some serious teething issues. Remember iOS 7 hit 50 percent adoption in a week.

To be fair, this is because of Android's third-biggest flaw (IMO): carriers, not customers for the most part, control when or if a given device will *ever* receive the upgrade, and often delay it by months so they can add their own crapware to it. If you left it strictly up to customers, I'm sure adoption rates for new Android releases would be more in line with Apple's.
  • Reply 28 of 55

Apple, please stop selling 16GB phone and iPad devices - it's cheap gouging that I thought was beneath your operation.

• Reply 29 of 55
    Originally Posted by gregquinn View Post

Apple, please stop selling 16GB phone and iPad devices - it's cheap gouging that I thought was beneath your operation.

Maybe stop buying them, then.

• Reply 30 of 55
    It's not the bugs. It's storage. Lotta people I know get the "not enough storage" error when trying to update and then just quit it cause they can't figure it out.

Apple should either up their iCloud free storage to close to the users registered device storage or preform a total iCloud backup and restore during the iOS upgrade process.

Then the 90% of users would be in the lasted iOS. Problem solved.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    Maybe because 1.ios 7 had bugs that lasted for months that people are scared of
    2.storage, IOS is requiring up to half the storage of a 16 gb, come on!
    3.rumors have spread since the 0.8.1 fail, little people know was it was minutes till it was fixed
    4.normal problems

And 5. People like me are still using an iPhone 4 or iPod touch, which doesn't support ios8.

I have updated my iPads to ios8 but am not about to stop using my phone and iPod just because they don't support the latest iOS.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    The holdouts are clutching their 3.5" screens for dear life.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    robogobo wrote: »
    The holdouts are clutching their 3.5" screens for dear life.

The few times I've had to help someone with a 3.5" iPhone I just can't believe how small the screen is. And I went from a 4 to a 6. They just feel like this ultra compact toy now, though I still love the industrial design of the 4 CDMA and 4S series.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    jonoromjonorom Posts: 293member
    Could it be that iOS 7 is simply "good enough?" Scary thought.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

Could it be that iOS 7 is simply "good enough?" Scary thought.

Well, let's think about this.  When did Windows jump the shark?  (And don't say, "from conception", that's a different line of thought altogether. ;) )

My own personal belief is that Windows 2000 was their very best release. 

It seems like there is a point at which something "just works"... but then there's this impulse to over-refine.  (The pressures of capitalism, perhaps?  Versus, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".)

And I think that Apple have been there before, haven't they?  When Jobs returned from the wilderness, didn't he "clean out the temple", to an extent?  What a fresh start that turned out to be.

• Reply 36 of 55
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Less than a week according to the article.

I believe the article is comparing apples to oranges (no pun intended).  The "OMG it's taken 6 weeks to get to 50%" figure is from Apple's data (which could be based on any number of things) whereas the "less than a week" figure for iOS 7 is based on "a third party" study of Web traffic.  I expect the iOS 8 update is slower (for the "you need a zillion GB free to upgrade" issue), but it might not be; we simply don't have comparable data.  [Sorry for my "lack of committment."]

• Reply 37 of 55
    Please, could you post some more interesting data? like Share of ios8 on devices that are capable of that, the same for ios 7. Those statistic are useless.
    And adoption rate graph also disappeared probably because it is slower then ios 7.
    Lame journalism.
  • Reply 38 of 55

This site is a joke.  Less than three weeks ago you wrote an article stating how iOS8 was on target to be the fasted adopted iOS yet.  I pushed you on it saying you were not reporting facts based on the numbers.  You ignored it; now you post an article stating that iOS at finally hit 52% after stagnating...  f' this site your cesspool of incorrect / false postings.  

• Reply 39 of 55
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ex iPhone Owner View Post

This site is a joke.  Less than three weeks ago you wrote an article stating how iOS8 was on target to be the fasted adopted iOS yet.  I pushed you on it saying you were not reporting facts based on the numbers.  You ignored it; now you post an article stating that iOS at finally hit 52% after stagnating...  f' this site your cesspool of incorrect / false postings.

Tell us how you really feel, Ex iPhone Owner.  (And invest in a grammar/spell checker.)

• Reply 40 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Tell us how you really feel, Ex iPhone Owner.  (And invest in a grammar/spell checker.)

What exactly is misspelled?  In addition, beyond missing a comma after the word ago, what is incorrect with the grammar?  (I do not trust my spelling.  I normally type up text within MS Word before pasting it into replies.  I do that to try to avoid grammar and spelling mistakes.)