MCX merchants restricted to CurrentC payment system, using Apple Pay incurs fines

Comments

• Reply 101 of 163
    Too bad Apple Pay is implemented on top of an obsolete payment vehicle: credit cards, which charge consumers a 20% interest rate. There are already better mobile payment systems like MPesa, that don't use credit cards, they are based on credit, for example you put aside $200 for shopping from your bank account. Every time you purchase something, the amount is subtracted from the initial credit of $200. These systems also support small payments, sub-dollar payments.
  • Reply 102 of 163
    solipsismx wrote: »
    MCX is doing nothing illegal by finding partners who willingly agree to a contract.
    We don't know that. Ask Apple... The book wholesalers willingly agreed to their contract yet the govt found it illegal.
  • Reply 103 of 163
    thevofl wrote: »
    So what they are doing is not allowing the retail stores to use a competing service. So MCX is admitting that they are providing a service in direct competition with Apple. Doesn’t that violate the TOS of writing Apps for the App Store? 

I guess Apple is waiting until just the right time to pull the plug. I can’t imagine Google not following suit.

With the two major platforms for the app basically giving the finger to MCX, it will implode.  That is unless
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;"> MCX designs a very secure web app <rolls eyes> that does the same thing, adding a layer to the long customer process that is CurrentC, which is unlikely.  </span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">If their app can't get out there to their customers, the retail companies will revolt and will probably get out of their contract </span>
    <span style="line-height:22.399999618530273px;">that</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;"> way.</span>
    Great point. Hadn't considered it was against apple tos
  • Reply 104 of 163
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RonMG View Post

In this day and age, most people don't have enough money in there savings or checking account to afford to live. Most people are living off of credit cards. Why does MCX feel that people will use their service tied to their savings or checking account?

Probably because MCX has real data about how people spend money...and they aren't making wild random assumptions like you :).

• Reply 105 of 163

ditto.  I've just redirected thousands of dollars of annual reoccurring business form CVS to Walgreens over this and I let them know the reason why.  

My issue is threefold.  First, I want the more secure system in place, second, I want the speed and convenience of ?Pay and finally, I want a business entity to appreciate my continued business and not do things that are not in my best interest.  This action by CVS, to REMOVE the option of using ?Pay, was clearly not in my best interest. 

Goodbye CVS.  Hello Walgreens.

So for CVS the damage has already been done.  Once you lose a customer, you rarely get them back.  Businesses spend a lot of money in pursuit of new customers and one bad move can flush that investment down the drain.  For Walgreens, this is a bonanza.  Given the competitive nature of these drugstores, gaining an advantage like this at no expense is a windfall.

I seldom use Walmart or Best Buy so they have little to lose from me, but I dislike that a merchant purposely goes out of their way to make purchasing from them more difficult and less secure so the chance of my visiting these merchants in the future is now next to zero. If they really didn't want purchases from Apple smartphone users, I'd suggest that their boards review their business plans.  Several of the merchants who have barred ?Pay are not really doing all that well and irritating their customers and driving many of them to other merchants is not a sound business practice.

Money talks.

• Reply 106 of 163
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iLoveStuff View Post

Is Apple being compelled to allow MCX apps in the app store if MCX is denying the use of Apple Pay with it's partners?

CurrentC isn't even a viable option at this point.  It was conceived in 2012, a different time.  Now we have apple pay, huge data breeches concerning the general population.  I understand its in beta testing in some parts of the country.   Depending on the outcome of the testing it may never see the light of day.  I think apple is smart by just sitting on the side lines, it may just go away.  

• Reply 107 of 163
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Probably because MCX has real data about how people spend money...and they aren't making wild random assumptions like you :).

BS. This is what the former CEO of Walmart said about potential success of MCX:
    “I don’t know that it will, and I don’t care. As long as Visa suffers.”

MCX isn't avout consumers it's avout retailers sticking it to credit card companies.
  • Reply 108 of 163
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    MCX is doing nothing illegal by finding partners who willingly agree to a contract.

So are MCX retailers going to start charging different prices if you pay by CurrentC (ACH) vs credit card?
  • Reply 109 of 163
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

BS. This is what the former CEO of Walmart said about potential success of MCX:

MCX isn't avout consumers it's avout retailers sticking it to credit card companies.

If you look at what I was responding to, it had nothing to do with what you're saying.  

• Reply 110 of 163
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC2009 View Post

You can request that President Obama order a DOJ investigation of MCX for possible illegal anti-competetive collusion...

That is not the point. The petition itself can raise awareness and sway public opinion. As Time Cook said it is the consumers that will make the decision in the end.

• Reply 111 of 163

Walmart did not realize we consumers value security and privacy above price.

• Reply 112 of 163
    mactmact Posts: 26member
    So what percent of those who can afford an iPhone 6 are Walmart customers?
  • Reply 113 of 163
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    credit is always better...

fraud protection before amount is taken from my account
    rewards points that translate to $500 to $1500 each yr
    not worrying about checking account balance when making large purchases
    emergency spending
  • Reply 114 of 163
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RonMG View Post

In this day and age, most people don't have enough money in there savings or checking account to afford to live. Most people are living off of credit cards. Why does MCX feel that people will use their service tied to their savings or checking account?

They don’t. The object here is to bypass bank card transaction fees. It has nothing to do with customer service or security or anything else.

• Reply 115 of 163
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Could CurrentC now utilise the TouchID API in it's app to provide an extra level of security? How would this then be different to ApplePay other than it's tokenization.  

If it's an app-based solution Apple should just reject the CurrentC app in the App Store when it is launched LOL

Also can this app based form of payment be classed as in-app purchasing thus allowing Apple to take a percentage per sale? 

You are missing the point. CurrentC does NOT ALLOW credit or debit cards to be used. It’s not about convenience, security or anything else. It’s ALL about avoiding card transaction fees. Do you want your checking account number and bank routing code stored in this app? 

• Reply 116 of 163
    h
  • Reply 117 of 163
    Originally Posted by coolfish View Post

This is purely anti competitive and should be barred by law. 

No, it’s perfectly fine for them to do it. They have every right not to accept types of payment, just as they have every right not to accept payment at all and go bankrupt.

It should not be barred by law.

• Reply 118 of 163
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, it’s perfectly fine for them to do it. They have every right not to accept types of payment, just as they have every right not to accept payment at all and go bankrupt.

It should not be barred by law.

Just start paying them all in one's....

• Reply 119 of 163
    I think that a DOJ investigation would be a good thing. After seeing Apple get so badly roasted by a biased judge in the whole e-books thing, why are we so content to see this kind of anti competitive collusion going on?
  • Reply 120 of 163
    I think we should push apple to ban the MCX app since it competes with Apple pay

Then they can be limited to Android who will take any old crap