MCX defends CurrentC against Apple Pay controversy, says sensitive customer data is saved in the clo

Comments

• Reply 21 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by denobin View Post

CurrentC is an absolute anti-consumer joke. A disaster on wheels.

I'm not so sure about the wheels.

• Reply 22 of 104
    wings wrote: »
    "secure cloud-hosted network." Yeah, you know, like the one Target and Home Depot used.

So once one server is hacked they get 50 million card numbers. Whereas they would have to hack 50 million separate iPhones to get the same reward, which so far as been unhackable.

Smart move.
    Why not. Each phone is so insecure....like low hanging fruit. You know hackers are just salivating.
  • Reply 23 of 104
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

The funny thing is, that when you get to... "pull out my iPhone, unlock the screen" that's the extent of ApplePay with TouchID. The same motion and amount of time it takes to unlock the screen is the same it takes to authorize payment.

Well, you’ve got it wrong. You do not have to unlock the screen to use ?Pay. I know because I have actually used it. I placed my (screen locked) iPhone 6 near the NFC terminal at my local Panera Bread. The ?Pay screen appeared and all I had to do was place my finger on the TouchID button. It was a single motion transaction, no unlocking, no app launch, nothing other than touching my finger to the TouchID button.

• Reply 24 of 104
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member

I just tweeted this

#mcx This is a joke, right? http://www.mcx.com/blog/answers-to-your-questions/  Secure cloud?  Ask Target and HD and everyone else.  #SayNOToCurrentC #ApplePay

• Reply 25 of 104
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:

But while CurrentC is an exclusive program, retailers who wish to stop working with MCX do not pay any fines...

I bet MCX will return their sign up fees, too. No? 

I guess we'll see which retailers decide to ride it out, and which ones decide to cut their losses. (Since only a few have been called out, I don't expect many of the latter-- if any abandon ship at all.)

Quote:
    "CurrentC does not collect any information from any other apps, or health information stored in the mobile device," Davidson said."

"We're haven't figured out how to do that yet."

• Reply 26 of 104
    This will be an epic fail. Apple is the only one with a trustworthy workable system.
  • Reply 27 of 104
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

The problem comes in when they start getting information about where you shop, what you buy, your SSN, your DL and your health information. Now these people have enough information to track your friends and family as well. This is in addition to unraveling the protections associated with protecting your direct banking account information with a Credit Card or Debit Card. A hacker can wipe you out with one swoop.

• Reply 28 of 104
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Well, you’ve got it wrong. You do not have to unlock the screen to use ?Pay. I know because I have actually used it. I placed my (screen locked) iPhone 6 near the NFC terminal at my local Panera Bread. The ?Pay screen appeared and all I had to do was place my finger on the TouchID button. It was a single motion transaction, no unlocking, no app launch, nothing other than touching my finger to the TouchID button.

Please read the post... I never said you have to unlock the screen... I said the same motion, as in placing your finger on the Home Button.

• Reply 29 of 104
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by denobin View Post

CurrentC is an absolute anti-consumer joke. A disaster on wheels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plovell View Post

I'm not so sure about the wheels.

Roller skates!

• Reply 30 of 104
    Sign the petition:

http://wh.gov/icBmj
  • Reply 31 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Correct me if I'm around, but isn't he misinformed with how secure the data is on the device? Isn't the Apple pay stuff stored on the same secure chip with the fingerprint info? Basically to use it you'll need the fingerprint of the owner of the phone. That doesn't seem particularly hackable

Minor detail: I believe that the Apple Pay stuff is stored in a part of the NFC chip (secure element"). The fingerprint data is in a different place and is in the CPU - if I remember correctly.  Same effect though - you need a fingerprint or device password to get at the payment token.

• Reply 32 of 104
    He avoids mentioning sharing transaction data.

and what about the email i got about a security leak on that cloud. am i supposd to trust their cloud with my financials knowing they are getting hacked before they even launch
  • Reply 33 of 104
    This is DOA. They just haven't realized it. This system WILL fail.
  • Reply 34 of 104

Obviously, the stupid part of this is the contract requiring merchants not to accept anything else. One would think a merchant would want to take as many forms of payment as they can, for the convenience of the customer.

• Reply 35 of 104
    wings wrote: »
    "secure cloud-hosted network." Yeah, you know, like the one Target and Home Depot used.

So once one server is hacked they get 50 million card numbers. Whereas they would have to hack 50 million separate iPhones to get the same reward, which so far as been unhackable.

Smart move.

yep. they just sent out a noice they were hacked. but no worries its only email addresses. they dont get that "just email addresses" still opens up accounts to password cracking, phishing etc, which exposes finanacial info.
  • Reply 36 of 104
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Slightly off topic but relevant. I happen to be watching the CNBC financial channel right now and they are discussing the ?Pay/CurrentC kerfuffle. The guest being interviewed is Osama Bedier, former PayPal exec and the inventor of Google Wallet. The interviewer is pressing him hard about why Google Wallet has not taken off but ?Pay is stirring up everything. He is avoiding the issue and talking about timing and how he expected Google Wallet to take from 2-5 years to be ubiquitous. When asked again what ?Pay did right that Google Wallet didn’t he said Apple’s system had better market timing, whatever that means. Anyway he sounded a lot like Eric Schmidt when Schmidt predicted that developers would be Android first and iOS second or not at all within six months. That was almost three years ago by the way. 

NEWS FLASH from CNBC! CurrentC just announced it has been hacked in the last 36 hours and that customer test data has been compromised. More to follow.

• Reply 37 of 104
    There is another benefit to ApplePay.

Every swipe of your actual credit card appears as a notification on your phone (if set appropriately). This will help reduce fraud further by allowing detection of cloned credit cards. Also works with iTunes purchases. May do so with other online purchasing.

That is far more secure than an exposed debit card or bank account. You have instant feedback.
  • Reply 38 of 104

Stupid me! Now, I get it. Cloud. Everything. Secure Cloud ....

:smokey:

• Reply 39 of 104
    kennmsr wrote: »
    BUT, Apple has provided remote wipe capabilities that either disable remote payment or total erasure of personal data.

Keep in mind that Apple doesnt have your card numbers on the device or in their cloud. thats part of why they cant support double charges etc.

So even if icloud is compromised your info isnt there
  • Reply 40 of 104
    mjtomlin wrote: »

The funny thing is, that when you get to... "pull out my iPhone, unlock the screen" that's the extent of ApplePay with TouchID. The same motion and amount of time it takes to unlock the screen is the same it takes to authorize payment.

If you want to use your default card you dont even have to unlock. get it within say two inches of the 'tap' and it will open card and ask for touch id