Apple Watch will likely require daily charging, Cook says

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 96
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

LOL.  I can't help it.  You're just amusing.

Please enlighten us about how to demonstrate a "committment" to the arguments we make on this august forum that affects the lives of so many millions of people.  Oh wait, this is a rumor site, so perhaps, just perhaps, saying "I'm almost certain you'll be proven wrong" is a legitimate comment.

Now you are making light of the Forum.

Cute.

• Reply 82 of 96
    This is a non issue for most. Everyone I know charges phones and other electronics every night. The AppleWatch will be no different. Those that insist that they need multiple days and that multiple days without a charge is a huge feature are just trying to stir things up as there is no real ground to stand on with that view.

Classic "impossible to disagree with me" point of view you've set up for yourself. I'm interested in an Apple Watch and can probably deal with the charging 90% of the time. But some things to consider:

-the charger is a THIRD kind of charger (presumably one might also have a MacBook and an iOS device) youd have to set up on your nightstand, on your desk, or pack in your luggage. Not to mention a third outlet to hunt down at the hotel, friends house, airport, etc.

-for a wearable device, making a habit of keeping it on can be the difference maker. Especially if you're the type who's never worn a watch regularly. Apple has to convince people of its usefulness, and it doesn't help to have to take it off every day.

-nighttime applications, such as sleep tracking, discreet alarms, tracking time zones over long flights, and home automation may be hampered if you're removing the device every night.
  • Reply 83 of 96
    Quote:

Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Classic "impossible to disagree with me" point of view you've set up for yourself. I'm interested in an Apple Watch and can probably deal with the charging 90% of the time. But some things to consider:

-the charger is a THIRD kind of charger (presumably one might also have a MacBook and an iOS device) youd have to set up on your nightstand, on your desk, or pack in your luggage. Not to mention a third outlet to hunt down at the hotel, friends house, airport, etc.

-for a wearable device, making a habit of keeping it on can be the difference maker. Especially if you're the type who's never worn a watch regularly. Apple has to convince people of its usefulness, and it doesn't help to have to take it off every day.

-nighttime applications, such as sleep tracking, discreet alarms, tracking time zones over long flights, and home automation may be hampered if you're removing the device every night.

I don't disagree.  Purely from my perspective I would take the watch off every night and charge it.  I am just not clear on what MOST people do.  It would be an interesting statistic.  Everyone (including me) is basing the comment on what they do without truly knowing what the masses actually do.

• Reply 84 of 96
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    That is where we are misaligned...I would never wear my watch to sleep.  Ever...So I would be curious to know what % of people do sleep with their watches on...that would tell us the importance to Apple regarding required battery life for this product...

Actually I wouldn't either ( see my previous posts) but many people do.
  • Reply 85 of 96

I personally would go through the trouble of charging a smartwatch every night or every other night because I currently do with the smartwatch I use with my Android phone.  I just don't think most people would.  People that are that into their gadgets are a minority.  Most people say they love gadgets actually love the convenience they provide and would easily ditch them if an impediment was put in the way.  For instance, years ago I used a palm pilot.  They were great for the state of technology of its day.  At some point, I acquired a Palm Pilot watch by Fossil.  It could barely get through a day, was no were near as useful as the palm pilot itself and I didn't use it for very long.  I love the idea of a smartwatch and am willing to bare some shortcomings like many of you here.  Just don't think anyone else in my immediate circles would.  So, I realize my willingness to commit is a minority view.

As for sleeping with a watch on, I do not, but I have tried just to see if the alarm feature would be more effective, i.e. wake me up without disturbing my wife with a loud blaring alarm sound.  It worked but I found it uncomfortable. 

• Reply 86 of 96

Android watch with clever dual display can last 6 or even 15 days on a single charge

quote.."One of China's leading tech firms has unveiled two Android-powered smartwatches that it says can last about a week between charges.

That represents a substantial gain on alternatives that can struggle to run longer than a day.

The Geak Watch 2 models achieve the feat by using a hybrid screen that switches between a "high definition" LCD colour display and a "standby mode" battery-saving e-ink one.

One expert said this was "very clever"."

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29817379

• Reply 87 of 96
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Now you are making light of the Forum.

Cute.

Sorry if I offended your sensitivities again.  I think we might be conversationally incompatible.

So what is your stand on this important "will it fail?" question that you want my commitment to?  Yes or no, will the iPhone be a failure in its first year (as some here are predicting)?  And if so, how would you measure failure.  You don't have to be a strict as as some who are predicting zero sales ("I can't imagine anyone wanting this after that remark.") which is the initial prediction I was commenting about.

• Reply 88 of 96
    Quote:

Sorry if I offended your sensitivities again.  I think we might be conversationally incompatible.

So what is your stand on this important "will it fail?" question that you want my commitment to?  Yes or no, will the iPhone be a failure in its first year (as some here are predicting)?  And if so, how would you measure failure.  You don't have to be a strict as as some who are predicting zero sales ("I can't imagine anyone wanting this after that remark.") which is the initial prediction I was commenting about.

OFFS. Do I really have to explain it to you.

When you call someone out, then commit to it... otherwise your comment is not relevant other than it's just there to put down the other person in your own clumsy fashion.

ie:

What a stupid thing to say!!

Well, of course, you could be right. So, in that particular case, it's not that stupid.

But what a stupid thing to say!!

Think about it.

• Reply 89 of 96
    Quote:

OFFS. Do I really have to explain it to you.

When you call someone out, then commit to it... otherwise your comment is not relevant other than it's just there to put down the other person in your own clumsy fashion.

ie:

What a stupid thing to say!!

Well, of course, you could be right. So, in that particular case, it's not that stupid.

But what a stupid thing to say!!

Think about it.

Good thing I didn't say that.  So you aren't commiting to an opinion yourself?

Actually let me clarify, since you mischaracterized what I did say.

This is closer to what I actually said:

1. That's almost certainly false.

2. Let's look at this again when the result are in, and you'll almost certainly be proven to be wrong.

3. If on the other hand, you are proven to be correct, then you'll have the last laugh.

Or would you prefer that I say "no matter whether you turn out to be right or wrong, you're an idiot"?

• Reply 90 of 96
    Quote:

This is closer to what I actually said:

1. That's almost certainly false.

2. Let's look at this again when the result are in, and you'll almost certainly be proven to be wrong.

3. If on the other hand, you are proven to be correct, then you'll have the last laugh.

Number 3 isn't even close to what you said. You just left it out there that Paz's comment was foolish.

... but now  I do hope that Paz does have the last laugh.

• Reply 91 of 96
    Quote:

Number 3 isn't even close to what you said. You just left it out there that Paz's comment was foolish.

... but now  I do hope that Paz does have the last laugh.

BS.  That's pretty much exactly what I said: "Someone save this comment. I expect that paz will forget he said this 2 years from now (unless against all odds he's actually right, of course)."

Explain how you can read that and not infer "in which case he'll have the last laugh."

Let's not forget the comment I was reacting to was "I can't imagine anyone wanting this" and that this will be Apple's Edsel.  So, yes, if the Apple Watch is the beginning of the end for Apple, I want Paz to get credit for calling it. 

• Reply 92 of 96
    Quote:

BS.  That's pretty much exactly what I said: "Someone save this comment. I expect that paz will forget he said this 2 years from now (unless against all odds he's actually right, of course)."

Explain how you can read that and not infer "in which case he'll have the last laugh."

Let's not forget the comment I was reacting to was "I can't imagine anyone wanting this" and that this will be Apple's Edsel.  So, yes, if the Apple Watch is the beginning of the end for Apple, I want Paz to get credit for calling it. 

That's a lot of inferring.

... oh, and the Edsel was not the beginning of the end for Ford. More inferring I suppose.

• Reply 93 of 96
    Quote:

That's a lot of inferring.

... oh, and the Edsel was not the beginning of the end for Ford. More inferring I suppose.

I stand corrected on Edsel comment.  I was thinking of some other brand I suppose.  From Wikipedia: "Contrary to Ford's internal plans and projections, the Edsel never gained popularity with contemporary American car buyers and sold poorly. The Ford Motor Company lost millions of dollars on the Edsel's development, manufacturing and marketing. The very word "Edsel" became a popular symbol for failure."

But you are either deluded or dishonest about the "last laugh" quibble.

• Reply 94 of 96
    Quote:

But you are either deluded or dishonest about the "last laugh" quibble.

Right back at you.

• Reply 95 of 96
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

That is where we are misaligned...I would never wear my watch to sleep.  Ever...So I would be curious to know what % of people do sleep with their watches on...that would tell us the importance to Apple regarding required battery life for this product...

I'll weigh in, if for no other reason to try to have a different conversation....

I never wear a watch to bed at night. Yes, I occasionally nap, and more often than not leave my watch on. I would likely change that - for naps, I'd remove it and put on the bedside charger.

I might be inclined to replace my alarm clock with an Apple Watch. I suppose I could do that with my iPhone (or even my iPad that is seemingly always by the bedside) but I just haven't yet.