Apple Pay competitor CurrentC hacked, alerts pilot program participants of security breach

Comments

• Reply 41 of 232
    more like a security/privacy lover rather than an apple lover.
  • Reply 42 of 232
    Ouch!
  • Reply 43 of 232
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    I'll give you that Apple did a great job at promoting Apple Pay. It's a fantastic system that I really enjoy using. Although, when I go to Walgreens to use Apple Pay, I see on the NFC POS a Google Wallet logo with "Pay using Google Wallet". I don't see anything about Apple Pay.

And that's Google's promotion of Wallet. It didn't work out for them. Plus how many android devices have NFC?

I predict in due time, you'll see the Apple Pay logo if that is what Apple wants.
  • Reply 44 of 232
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    Fair enough. Although, I use all platforms for testing, so I don't really care about the fighting between to two side. I do care about this story big time as I believe it's wrong in so many ways.

The 'story' is wrong in so many ways? Or CurrentC?

BTW Isn't that just an awful name ... CurrentC... was it supposed to be clever? It makes me think of electricity not money.
  • Reply 45 of 232
    lymflymf Posts: 65member
    This is hilarious
  • Reply 46 of 232
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,293member

I'm getting the impression that MCX and CurrentC are not going to withstand scrutiny well at all. 

• Reply 47 of 232
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

And that's Google's promotion of Wallet. It didn't work out for them. Plus how many android devices have NFC?

I predict in due time, you'll see the Apple Pay logo if that is what Apple wants.

Look, seriously, not here to fight. I'm on the same side as you about this subject matter. I dislike CurrentC and what they are doing. The back and forth between Apple and Google can be for another day/thread. This subject tho, both are on the same side.

• Reply 48 of 232
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

BTW Isn't that just an awful name ... CurrentC... was it supposed to be clever? It makes me think of electricity not money.

Sorry, should of said CurrentC. It's horrible in every which way. And yes, stupid name.

• Reply 49 of 232
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Well the saying I know is 'There is no such thing as bad publicity'. Public relations is a tad more tricky ... image

Ah, yes, I wasn't thinking. If this was a PR exercise it would have been a very sad fail :)

• Reply 50 of 232
    The buffoonish Walmart CEO could care less about security breaches or that CurrentC is dead on arrival - he just wants "VISA to suffer"
  • Reply 51 of 232
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

It's pronounced just like currency |?k?r?ns?, ?k?-r?ns?|. For that reason I'd say it has some cleverness to it but it's ultimately a stupid name.
  • Reply 52 of 232
    It would be a long row to hoe hacking each iPhone, assuming you could, one by one. Then you'd be lucky to have any data of any use since each transaction's token is unique.

Apple Pay requires Touch ID, thus why you can use it on an iphone 5 even in apps. And since the info is only on the device you would have to find a way to obtain the device and then hack Touch ID. thus far the only 'hacks' have been successful fooling of the sxystem using a perfect lifted finger from the user. but how often will you find one of those on a phone you just snagged. and if the owner is savvy enough to realize they lost the phone they just go into icloud, put the phone in lost mode and disable all the device specific account numbers on the device. so you will get into a phone that is no longer licked to the account.
  • Reply 53 of 232
    markbyrn wrote: »
    The buffoonish Walmart CEO could care less about security breaches or that CurrentC is dead on arrival - he just wants "VISA to suffer"

My money is on DOA. It would be like someone trying to launch a phone with a plastic keyboard and tiny screen after the iPhone came out ... :D
  • Reply 54 of 232
    but he was talking about ?Time. :D

Is that like the opposite of Valve Time?
  • Reply 55 of 232

This saga is becoming more and more interesting. CurrentC has no chance to even start. You cannot beat a real futuristic experience like Apple Pay. Fast and easy not that using a CC is that hard. But any system not able to be any easier, secure, private and fast as Apple Pay will not go anywhere. That explains the failure of Google Wallet, SoftPay, and way back then the NFC chip in some CC.

The retailers participating in the CurrentC scheme have only showed their complete incompetence in technology by having disabled NFC. They have alienated the advanced users (including Android). They have made it easier to that demographic to have mental coordinates where not to shop to. And all for nothing because the majority will continue to use the exiting means of payment (cash, CC, debit card, gift cards, etc.).

• Reply 56 of 232
    Too funny... You can't make this stuff up.
  • Reply 57 of 232
    charlituna wrote: »
    Apple Pay requires Touch ID, thus why you can use it on an iphone 5 even in apps. And since the info is only on the device you would have to find a way to obtain the device and then hack Touch ID. thus far the only 'hacks' have been successful fooling of the sxystem using a perfect lifted finger from the user. but how often will you find one of those on a phone you just snagged. and if the owner is savvy enough to realize they lost the phone they just go into icloud, put the phone in lost mode and disable all the device specific account numbers on the device. so you will get into a phone that is no longer licked to the account.

Exactly. I was responding to a post suggesting it was a doable proposition. I tried to answer succinctly but you added more to that argument.
  • Reply 58 of 232
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's pronounced just like currency |?k?r?ns?, ?k?-r?ns?|. For that reason I'd say it has some cleverness to it but it's ultimately a stupid name.

Well, I guess maybe they should've dropped the 't', it would've been a bit better then. But, yes, I hate it.

• Reply 59 of 232
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Tim, while in China...

"I've heard that there are some very good hackers in this country. If that's the case..."

China's reply, "Please, their security is so poor we use it to teach hacking 101 to elementary students."

• Reply 60 of 232
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    paxman wrote: »
    They say all PR is good PR, but really, it isn't, is it?

They never say who it's good for. This is good for Apple, so yes it is.