Apple Pay competitor CurrentC hacked, alerts pilot program participants of security breach

Comments

• Reply 61 of 232
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    That is pretty hilarious. Now imagine if CurrentC was in use and they had all of your bank account information, SSN, etc. This is a warning of a huge pending disaster waiting to happen when this service goes live next year. 

that is exactly why it was done now. hackers love companies who set themselves up for a bam hammer of hubris. MCX pushing this secured system was just asking for it. and got it
  • Reply 62 of 232
    [SIZE=7]ROTFLMMFAO!!![/SIZE]

If you didn't gather by that, I'm on the floor in stitches about this, as it happened the very DAY after Wal-Mart came out, guns blazing with foot-in-mouth that they're working on a superior, secure, payment system for their consumers!

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/51608/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 63 of 232
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Is that like the opposite of Valve Time?

Exactly. My wife says it's age but Apple development seems to accelerate to me. I just want ?Holodeck up and running while i still have a few years left.
  • Reply 64 of 232
    magman1979 wrote: »
    ROTFLMMFAO!!!

If you didn't gather by that, I'm on the floor in stitches about this, as it happened the very DAY after Wal-Mart came out, guns blazing with foot-in-mouth that they're working on a superior, secure, payment system for their consumers!

slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Fantastic, where do I sign up?? No seriously, this is the payment solution of my dreams, and clearly going to be a massive success. Taking photos of QR codes? Cumbersome payment process? Direct access to banking info? Transmitting tons of personal data? Hacked before its even released? Why didn't Apple think of this?

You know the best part about this? Seeing all the vehemtn anti-Apple trolls acros the internet cheer on CurrentC, and the disabling of NFC options, simply because it's an "Apple Pay competitor". Hilarious, hypocritical little shits, cutting off their noses to spite their face.
  • Reply 66 of 232
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It's pronounced just like currency |?k?r?ns?, ?k?-r?ns?|. For that reason I'd say it has some cleverness to it but it's ultimately a stupid name.

Oh I realized that right away, but never-the-less I see 'current' C and 'see' electrical inferences immediately if subconsciously. In fact I see AC not C too. But that's just me. It is all moot I suspect ... can you see this even being launched?
  • Reply 67 of 232
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I seriously wonder if it will in fact ever launch now. I would suspect there are some very serious discussions going on right now. This won't help for sure.

It would be nice if CurrentC got derailed, but I don't think it will for several reasons:

1) WalMart, the primary force behind it, tends to be stubborn. They will not give up easily.

2) There are signed contracts that need to be fulfilled.

• Reply 68 of 232
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

Welp! That didn't take long.

• Reply 69 of 232
    slurpy wrote: »
    Fantastic, where do I sign up?? No seriously, this is the payment solution of my dreams, and clearly going to be a massive success. Taking photos of QR codes? Cumbersome payment process? Direct access to banking info? Transmitting tons of personal data? Hacked before its even released? Why didn't Apple think of this?

You know the best part about this? Seeing all the vehemtn anti-Apple trolls acros the internet cheer on CurrentC, and the disabling of NFC options, simply because it's an "Apple Pay competitor". Hilarious, hypocritical little shits, cutting off their noses to spite their face.

Have some heart :D ... it must be getting pretty depressing being a Fandroid these days. :no: I wonder if membership is down 60%?
  • Reply 70 of 232

hahahahahahahaha

• Reply 71 of 232
    ktappe wrote: »
    It would be nice if CurrentC got derailed, but I don't think it will for several reasons:

1) WalMart, the primary force behind it, tends to be stubborn. They will not give up easily.

2) There are signed contracts that need to be fulfilled.

Now why does my loss of money in GTAT stock come to mind here? ;)

Walmart may find they are going to lose members, contracts may end up being challenged on the grounds of unfulfilled contractual promises ... you know like security ...
  • Reply 72 of 232
    First class clown show by the fine folks bringing us CurrentC. LMFAO.
  • Reply 73 of 232
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    Look, seriously, not here to fight. I'm on the same side as you about this subject matter. I dislike CurrentC and what they are doing. The back and forth between Apple and Google can be for another day/thread. This subject tho, both are on the same side.

I hear you. I don't use Apple Pay yet until discover gets on board.

They shouldn't have installed the NFC terminals if they weren't going to use them. It's easier to add than it is to remove.
  • Reply 74 of 232
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You know the best part about this? Seeing all the vehement anti-Apple trolls across the internet cheer on CurrentC, and the disabling of NFC options, simply because it's an "Apple Pay competitor". Hilarious, hypocritical little shits, cutting off their noses to spite their face.

Those in question apparently too ignorant to realize it affects them too.

• Reply 75 of 232
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    rob55 wrote: »
    Those in question apparently too ignorant to realize it affects them too.
    To be fair, they may have Android devices without NFC.
  • Reply 76 of 232
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I seriously wonder if it will in fact ever launch now. I would suspect there are some very serious discussions going on right now. This won't help for sure.

^ This. ^

There's a very good chance the retailers will kill this before it goes live.  There is a firestorm brewing out here, and it's aimed right at MCX.  Retailers might not have been smart enough to see this coming in advance, but they're not stupid.  They can't help but see how this is going, and there's really no way to right the ship at this point.  The CurrentC system might possibly have been able to get some traction prior to ?pay, but the odds of that happening now are pretty close to zero, and continued effort down that path is going to cost both money and customer goodwill.  I don't see this system going live.

• Reply 77 of 232
    blah64 wrote: »
    ^ This. ^

There's a very good chance the retailers will kill this before it goes live.  There is a firestorm brewing out here, and it's aimed right at MCX.  Retailers might not have been smart enough to see this coming in advance, but they're not stupid.  They can't help but see how this is going, and there's really no way to right the ship at this point.  The CurrentC system might possibly have been able to get some traction prior to ?pay, but the odds of that happening now are pretty close to zero, and continued effort down that path is going to cost both money and customer goodwill.  I don't see this system going live.

Right and i would hate to be the lawyers for Walmart fighting members wanting out. They'd have some pretty compelling legal ammunition for no penalty withdrawal I'd think. Fighting that would be so embarrassing to Walmart.
  • Reply 78 of 232
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

To be fair, they may have Android devices without NFC.

Wait, I thought they've had NFC for years? ;)

Seriously though, that is true. I can agree with SirLance99 that we're on the same side with respect to this topic.

• Reply 79 of 232
    mactmact Posts: 26member

My my. Who could possibly be behind this? Cough *ppl* Cough

• Reply 80 of 232
    slurpy wrote: »

Really!? Everywhere I look, the people that are in the Google Wallet camp is just as upset about this as Apple Pay users. Just from my own posts on social media about this subject, both sides are in agreement. I see a ton of other that are the same as well.