Apple Pay competitor CurrentC hacked, alerts pilot program participants of security breach

Comments

• Reply 81 of 232
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    This is not a confidence builder for the CurrentC promoters. I'm sure they'll plug this leak and it's just a matter of time until the next one pops open. I really don't care what happens with CurrentC one way or the other because I'm simply never going to use a service that does not have a suffient and proven layer of protection. I refuse to use debit cards or tie my PayPal account to a bank account for the exact same reasons. In my mind retailers who refuse ApplePay are no different than retailers who don't accept a certain credit card that I use, for example Discover. There are still plenty of places that don't take Discover, especially outside of the US. If I find myself in one of these establishments that don't take my card of choice I'll use one that the do take or use cash. If I don't have cash and they don't take any of my methods of payment then there's no sale. No reason to get militant about it.

In my opinion this whole deal is getting blown way out of proportion. If retailers choose to have a very restrictive payment policy that some customers refuse to use then they're the ones who are assuming the risk of losing sales. I can't force a retailer to accept my choice of non-cash payment no matter how much I want them to or how convenient or safe it is for me. You know the old saying from Ron White, "you can't fix stupid." The retailers who have signed up for CurrentC have obviously provided sufficient evidence that they meet or exceed the stupidity clause of the contract. That's their problem, not my problem.
  • Reply 82 of 232
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    Really!? Everywhere I look, the people that are in the Google Wallet camp is just as upset about this as Apple Pay users. Just from my own posts on social media about this subject, both sides are in agreement. I see a ton of other that are the same as well.

IMHO, I think you have milked that one enough for one day. Let's be clear, most Apple users and especially Apple fans on an Apple Fan site are perfectly happy to see the failure of both CurrentC and Google Wallet. In fact most fans probably have far more wish to see Google go down in flames (or is that up?). ?Pay will destroy CurrentC all on its own, rest assured.
  • Reply 83 of 232

Apple and Android users actually united to voice their dislike for what's happening with CurrentC and Google Wallet / Apple Pay bans.

I don't think I've ever seen a Play Store or App Store rating this low.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.currentc

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/currentc/id912922036?mt=8?

• Reply 84 of 232
    mact wrote: »
    My my. Who could possibly be behind this? Cough *ppl* Cough

Solipism is my first guess ... ;)
  • Reply 85 of 232
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    slurpy wrote: »
    You know the best part about this? Seeing all the vehemtn anti-Apple trolls acros the internet cheer on CurrentC, and the disabling of NFC options, simply because it's an "Apple Pay competitor". Hilarious, hypocritical little shits, cutting off their noses to spite their face.

I'm with [@]SirLance99[/@]. I haven't seen any of that. The only pro-CurrentC comments I've seen are simply by idiots that seem to actually believe it's just as good as Google Wallet or ?Pay.
  • Reply 86 of 232
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Really!? Everywhere I look, the people that are in the Google Wallet camp is just as upset about this as Apple Pay users. Just from my own posts on social media about this subject, both sides are in agreement. I see a ton of other that are the same as well.

Interesting. Not trying to contradict you as I imagine the more that are pissed off about this the better, but an Android-using co-worker seemed indifferent about it, stating (in reference to Google Wallet), "well, not that many people use it anyway". Though, I suspect, his deep seated dislike of Apple is probably clouding his judgement.

• Reply 87 of 232
    You know, now that hackers have breached CurrentC and stolen the e-mail addresses, why not put the final nail in the coffin? Why not go after the vaunted banking and health data these beta testers were forced to hand over as part of this "system"? Let's see just how safe this really is...

C'mon hackers from China, we know you want to :smokey:
  • Reply 88 of 232
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    That is pretty hilarious. Now imagine if CurrentC was in use and they had all of your bank account information, SSN, etc. This is a warning of a huge pending disaster waiting to happen when this service goes live next year. 
    I'm assuming the DL and SSN info is only done for a credit check and then discarded... BUT... companies like AT&T keep your SSN on file in perpetuity and any customer service rep can see it in legacy systems, and this is likely true of all credit-reporting facilities. Hence it may very well be that they keep your SSN and DL on file to report to credit bureau's like Transunion and Equifax .

Tip: If a phone or internet site requires you to enter the last 4 digits of your SSN at any point, it has your entire SSN on file.

Though I think people might be ripping on CurrentC a little too hard. The motives of CurrentC/MCX is clearly not in the customers favor, and any criticism of that is absolutely warranted.

However from a security standpoint, ACH has never, ever, been secure, but it's pretty difficult to make use of stolen ACH numbers by themselves, as that would require an American bank or credit union to be lax in their security as well. The real risk by CurrentC having ACH data is the retailers putting hidden costs, or wrong amounts, as there's no possibility of reversing any ACH transaction. They can only do another "Credit" transaction to refund, which is another gaping loop hole. All it takes is a complicit person to double-charge an order by saying the first one didn't go through. The bank isn't going to reverse a ACH transaction.

Also a bank doesn't want to be the "customer service" desk for CurrentC screwups and it would be in their best interests to block CurrentC if MCX thinks the banks are going to want to go along with this.
  • Reply 89 of 232
    Oh the monkey wrapped his tail around the flagpole,
       And let the wind low
    Right up his asshole ...

At about 43 seconds in:

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 90 of 232
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm with [@]SirLance99[/@]. I haven't seen any of that. The only pro-CurrentC comments I've seen are simply by idiots that seem to actually believe it's just as good as Google Wallet or ?Pay.

I am finding the whole 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' wearing a bit thin. Apple will beat them both, no need to take any sides. :smokey:
  • Reply 91 of 232
    Since Google Wallet was going along fine for a while with these merchants prior to Apple Pay, I'm gonna guess a Google/Android loyalists might feel more maligned than Apple fans.
  • Reply 92 of 232
    ktappe wrote: »
    It would be nice if CurrentC got derailed, but I don't think it will for several reasons:

1) WalMart, the primary force behind it, tends to be stubborn. They will not give up easily.

2) There are signed contracts that need to be fulfilled.
    You have to ask yourself these questions if you are a merchant:

1. For Walmart (and CVS, RiteAid and similar), is their primary customer base sophisticated enough to use CurrentC and do they pay by credit card, debit card, or cash primarily? (I shop Walmart maybe once per year).

The downside to their move is a lot of people pay by credit, particularly at Christmas, in order to stretch their purchasing power. Being pushed into a mold of using a debit card or equivalent will stymie their purchasing power. That could result in lower sales for merchants that depend on seasonal sales dollars to survive.

2. For most other merchants such as BestBuy, do consumers shop there often enough to make CurrentC worth the hassle, compared to scanning the back of a loyalty card and swiping a credit card?

I suspect the answers are not as favorable as the retailers think. They may still opt out of NFC payment systems, but at what cost.

I will be less likely to use merchants that do opt out.
  • Reply 93 of 232
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Solipism is my first guess ... ;)

I'd think one would have to understand programming much better than I do to hack their system. Plus, I have an alibi, and have never been to that coffee shop in Denver.

edit: Oops, I guess that info hasn't been disclosed yet.
  • Reply 93 of 232
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Might be the first hack but guaranteed not to be the last I'm sure. Wait until this thing goes public. It's going to be a hackers wet dream!
  • Reply 95 of 232
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Interesting. Not trying to contradict you as I imagine the more that are pissed off about this the better, but a Android-using co-worker seemed indifferent about it, stating (in reference to Google Wallet), "well, not that many people use it anyway". Though, I suspect, his deep seated dislike of Apple is probably clouding his judgement.

I get that. Android users that are against Apple because of "Apple" annoy me. I've posted about this one subject several times now and get well over a hundred comments all stating they hate CurrentC. One post had over 300 comments. They were from both sides stating the same thing.

Doesn't matter tho. Apple Pay and NFC payments will come out on top in the end.

• Reply 96 of 232
    feynman wrote: »
    Might be the first hack but guaranteed not to be the last I'm sure. Wait until this thing goes public. It's going to be a hackers wet dream!

AI isn't public? Damn!
  • Reply 97 of 232

L.

O.

L.

• Reply 98 of 232
    techno wrote: »
    I don't think this is what Tim Cook meant when he said "over the long arc of time."

Lol - ouch. They do seem to be off to a bit of a rocky start.
  • Reply 99 of 232
    email addresses exposed? lol.... Apple iCloud hacked = naked pictures
  • Reply 100 of 232
    You have to ask yourself these questions if you are a merchant:

1. For Walmart (and CVS, RiteAid and similar), is their primary customer base sophisticated enough to use CurrentC and do they pay by credit card, debit card, or cash primarily? (I shop Walmart maybe once per year).

The downside to their move is a lot of people pay by credit, particularly at Christmas, in order to stretch their purchasing power. Being pushed into a mold of using a debit card or equivalent will stymie their purchasing power. That could result in lower sales for merchants that depend on seasonal sales dollars to survive.

2. For most other merchants such as BestBuy, do consumers shop there often enough to make CurrentC worth the hassle, compared to scanning the back of a loyalty card and swiping a credit card?

I suspect the answers are not as favorable as the retailers think. They may still opt out of NFC payment systems, but at what cost.

I will be less likely to use merchants that do opt out.

There is another question ... Will BestBuy be here long enough for it to matter?